Can I offset residential mortgage interest against BTL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I offset residential mortgage interest against BTL?

Hi All,

I am in the purchase of remortgaging BTL my home and buying a new house.

I wondered whether it would be possible to claim tax relief against the interest repayments of my new property against the profits of my BTL? In other words working out the interest on my residential property and claim against this to the tune of 20%.

It is an expense as we need to borrow against said property to 'buy' the BTL.....

Hope this makes sense......

Thanks

Mark

I don't understand.

What does " the purchase of remortgaging BTL my home and buying a new house" mean?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Apologies, in the process of buying a new home, i am keeping our original property and buying another. We will get a new mortgage on the new house and get a BTL mortgage on the other.

Comment

In which case, I think that the answer will be no.

If you were extracting equity from an existing home and using that buy all or some of a BTL, that would qualify.
        But the new mortgage on a new property which is to be your home fails the wholly and exclusively test.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Is there a way to make a declaration at the time of purchasing outlining that a proportion of the mortgage from the property is required for the 'purchase' of the BTL?

Comment

Can I clarify that you're doing Let to Buy? i.e. you are renting out your current home after extracting some equity from it during the remortgage, to be used as deposit for the new primary residence?

On the assumption you are, the interest on the increased mortgage in the BTL is allowable, as you have introduced the asset and liability into the BTL business. The primary residence has not been used to "buy" the BTL at all, and so cannot.

Comment

Originally posted by Fothers1987 View Post
              Is there a way to make a declaration at the time of purchasing outlining that a proportion of the mortgage from the property is required for the 'purchase' of the BTL?
              If I've understood correctly, you already own the BTL property, so there's nothing to purchase.
              You're actually taking equity out of the BTL property to buy your new home.

Comment

When you turn your former home into a rental property and withdraw 70 % of the market value by taking out a mortgage loan, the interest paid on the 70% loan is allowed 20% as business expense against the rental income.
                Yes , can claim

The interest payment on mortgage loan for new home is not part of the rental property.
                No . cannot claim.

Comment

OK. I think i get it.

As I'm doing LTB it's a definite no, but, if it was BTL it's a maybe.

Comment

20% of interest paid on the mortgage for rental property can be claimed as expense in your tax return.

The interest on mortgage on own home CANNOT be claimed.

Trying to decide by LTB or BTL is confusing your thinking.

Comment

It is often possible and appropriate to claim the interest expense of some/all of a mortgage on a personal property. The ability to to deduct interest is not predicated on what the loan is secured against.

But not in the op's case

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Parents transferring property to children
                        by jpkeates
                        If the mortgages are standard BTL lending, the lender won't allow you to do what you're thinking of.
                        I'd talk to a family solcitor, who will probably suggest a trust being set up to achieve what you're looking to do.
                        17-01-2021, 11:05 AM
                      • Parents transferring property to children
                        by dhoops97
                        Hi all,

My dad wants my brother and I to take over the management of his properties, as he's getting old and doesn't want to deal with tenants anymore. However, he doesn't want to sell and he has really good mortgage rates, which doesn't end for another 10 years. His idea was to change...
                        16-01-2021, 14:32 PM
                        by Gordon999
                        What is the " approx total value" and "annual income" from dad's properties ?

Would a gift of 5% interest to each son give rise to much capital gains tax for father ? Would the mortgage company agree to include the 2 sons being included with dad in the mortgage...
                        17-01-2021, 07:57 AM
                      • Reply to Tax expense dates?
                        by Gordon999
                        Better to book the cost as "repair to damp proof coarse" and claim the expense against your rental income.
                        17-01-2021, 07:26 AM
                      • Tax expense dates?
                        by ben100
                        Ok so I have a spreadsheet that goes from April to March for the tax year. I have direct debit for a taxable expense that goes out each month. The direct debit for the April month the following year after the last March on my spreasheet went out on the 1st of April. I know the tax year goes up to the...
                        15-01-2021, 11:14 AM
                      • Another new kitchen and bathroom story- CGT
                        by Celibin
                        We have replaced the above (30 years old) prior to first let. The kitchen had to be done as the cooker(Free standing) was dangerous Ie very old Being 58 cm wide it was not possible to find a new one that would fit between the units without leaving quite a gap. Also hard to find new shelves for the interior...
                        16-01-2021, 06:40 AM
                      • Reply to Another new kitchen and bathroom story- CGT
                        by Gordon999
                        Renewing of kitchen and bathroom units does not give rise to capital gains .

Capital gains arises from sale of the property .
                        17-01-2021, 07:22 AM
                        by Celibin
                        Sorry Gordon I meant the bath not the floor was sloping. So it was no longer fixed very well
                        17-01-2021, 06:37 AM
                        by Celibin
                        The old cooker was dangerous and almost certainly the kitchen cupboards needed pulling out to get behind them to update the electrics
                        17-01-2021, 06:36 AM
                        by jpucng62
                        I would say you can't transfer property to your children without triggering CGT unless you gave away a very small percentage so that it was under the CGT threshold each year - theoretically possible but a pain to do I would imagine! This is the biggest problem with property - it tends to trigger CGT...
                        16-01-2021, 17:00 PM
                      Working...
                      X