Splitting a flat into two - tax for issuing new lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting a flat into two - tax for issuing new lease?

Hi all,

I am looking into extending and subdividing a flat, with freeholder consent and planning permission. We are share of freehold. I also have permission written into my lease than I can surrender the current one and replace it with a new one for each flat.

My solicitor said I should grant a sub lease. When I asked ‘isn’t it better to just surrender and grant two new leases’ he said:

“Not normally, although as you control the freehold then you can do this but you then run into potential tax problems with the freehold company disposing of its assets and SDLT which you would have to pay as you and the company are connected .”

I don’t understand this. Why would the freehold company, or me, pay anything? Surely just the buyer of each flat (assuming the lease was created at that point) would pay the stamp duty?

Any advice gratefully received! Thank you!

Normally the buyer pays SDLT before registering the new owner name at Land Registry.

You should consult a tax accountant ( not solicitor ) for advice on cgt for your situation.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Ir???
      by GrumpMonkey
      Hello,

I recall there used to be a tax rule that allowed property finance interest for tax purposes to be no more than the interest on the purchase price of the property. If the finance was less than the value of the property, other property interest could be used to make up the shortfall,...
      15-01-2021, 20:48 PM
    • CGT on investments
      by desamax
      Hi all I’m looking for some tax advice. I bought a commercial property in 1990, in 2016 I remortgaged the property to fund another commercial outright and a deposit on a BTL. I have sold the first commercial property and payed the mortgage off.
      Do I have to pay CGT on the full amount of the...
      14-01-2021, 18:32 PM
    • Reply to CGT on investments
      by AndrewDod
      If you accountant informs you differently feel free to fire them. This is bread and butter stuff. And get a move on - the 30 day clock is ticking...
      15-01-2021, 19:43 PM
      by desamax
      Thanks, I was hoping to after paying back the remortgage, reinvest the whole balance in another property. I only sold because it was leasehold and the FHolder was extremely difficult. I have put this to my accountant who will look into this. I was hoping someone had a bit of experience in the same situation....
      15-01-2021, 19:20 PM
      by AndrewDod
      It is property by property. You can't offset one against the other or say that you did not receive a purchase price because you used the money to purchase another asset (unless of course you sell two in the same tax year when you can offset an overall gain against a loss - or you can carry forward...
      15-01-2021, 17:38 PM
    • Reply to Landlord Tax Evasion
      by Neelix
      The vast amount of HMRC investigations come as the direct result of tip offs ,..
      15-01-2021, 16:36 PM
    • Landlord Tax Evasion
      by Hogpotwash
      Hello. I have reported someone for Landlord Tax Evasion last month. The person who answered my call at HMRC appeared to be very interested, when I gave details as accurate as I could, he did tell me this LL was evading £1,000 a year in tax. Will HMRC take this seriously, even though it is only a small...
      07-01-2021, 09:38 AM
      by Section20z
      Why do you think the deposit scheme was introduced ?
      99% of tenancies on one database complete with rent amounts, very handy...
      15-01-2021, 16:04 PM
      by Flashback1966
      With the Section 24 tax increase which was introduced in April 2017. I met many landlords in the same boat as me, and we were all in tax seminar, trying to see how to mitigate the new tax increases (which are unfair). It was good to see the majority of landlords paying taxes. (Despite what one reads...
      15-01-2021, 13:59 PM
    • Reply to Tax expense dates?
      by jpkeates
      As long as the expenses were solely and exclusively for the business the utilities can be claimed.

The first purchase of furnishings is a capital expense (replacements are allowable) and the damp course would be capital if new and allowable if a replacement.
      15-01-2021, 12:53 PM
    Working...
    X