Rental tax expense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental tax expense?

I'm doing my first tax return for my rental property, so the year is 6th april to 5th april but I have buildings insurance which ran from 31st july to 30th july & was paid in one whole annual payment. How do I log this?

It depends on the basis you are completing your tax return.
    If you are doing it on the "cash" basis, you record each expense (and income) as it's incurred.
    If you are doing it on an accruals/proper accountancy basis, you apportion the expenses (and rent and everything else) on a pro-rata basis.

Having said that, my accountant doesn't seem to accrue monthly amounts to accommodate the tax year ending on the 5th of a month.
    As long as there are 12 instances of monthly items in each tax year, the outcome is virtually identical for tax purposes.
    I do pay my insurance monthly though, which helps.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by ben100 View Post
      I'm doing my first tax return for my rental property, so the year is 6th april to 5th april but I have buildings insurance which ran from 31st july to 30th july & was paid in one whole annual payment. How do I log this?
      It's an allowable expense in whatever year you incurred it so just put the premium down.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

It's an allowable expense in whatever year you incurred it so just put the premium down.
        Yes but how as the year is 6th april to the 5th april following year I paid the whole amount for july to july?

Comment

You need to let us know which of the two possible ways you're doing the return, because the answer is different.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
            You need to let us know which of the two possible ways you're doing the return, because the answer is different.
            What do you mean two possible ways? It's my first rental and I've logged down all income and expenses, what other way is there to do it?

Comment

Post #2
              It depends on the basis you are completing your tax return.
              If you are doing it on the "cash" basis, you record each expense (and income) as it's incurred.
              If you are doing it on an accruals/proper accountancy basis, you apportion the expenses (and rent and everything else) on a pro-rata basis.
              It's likely with one property, you'd use the cash basis, but if you have other income (or plan to expand) you might prefer the accruals basis.

Comment

Originally posted by ben100 View Post

Yes but how as the year is 6th april to the 5th april following year I paid the whole amount for july to july?
                It's the date you paid the money that counts like any other expense. Your gas cert also lasts a year and your electric cert lasts 5 years but you allocate it when you pay it.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
                  It's the date you paid the money that counts like any other expense. Your gas cert also lasts a year and your electric cert lasts 5 years but you allocate it when you pay it.
                  Only if you are using the cash basis for your return and lots of people don't.

Not all landlords can use the cash basis (if they're a limited company for example).
                  There's a maximum turnover as well, but you'd be a very successful landlord to hit that limit, but it used to be deprecated, and if you've ever done a return using the accounting method, you can't switch back.

Comment

Post #2

It's likely with one property, you'd use the cash basis, but if you have other income (or plan to expand) you might prefer the accruals basis.
                    Ok so how would I put down the annual payment? As if it's from july to july this overlaps into the following tax year.

Comment

6th April 2019 to 5th April 2020. You can put all your income and expenses into that tax return as whole amounts. Or you can apportion the income and expenses over the number of days within that tax return.

So for example you buy insurance or any expense on the 4th April 2020. You can put the whole amount in the 2019-2020 tax return. Or divide the amount by 365 and put 1 day in the 2019-2020 and 364 in the 2020-2021.

I believe this is the correct way to do it.

Comment

If you're using the cash basis the expense is recorded as occurring on the day you paid the insurance and the period of coverage is academic.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Parents transferring property to children
                          by dhoops97
                          Hi all,

My dad wants my brother and I to take over the management of his properties, as he's getting old and doesn't want to deal with tenants anymore. However, he doesn't want to sell and he has really good mortgage rates, which doesn't end for another 10 years. His idea was to change...
                          16-01-2021, 14:32 PM
                        • Reply to Parents transferring property to children
                          by jpkeates
                          If the mortgages are standard BTL lending, the lender won't allow you to do what you're thinking of.
                          I'd talk to a family solcitor, who will probably suggest a trust being set up to achieve what you're looking to do.
                          17-01-2021, 11:05 AM
                          by Gordon999
                          What is the " approx total value" and "annual income" from dad's properties ?

Would a gift of 5% interest to each son give rise to much capital gains tax for father ? Would the mortgage company agree to include the 2 sons being included with dad in the mortgage...
                          17-01-2021, 07:57 AM
                        • Tax expense dates?
                          by ben100
                          Ok so I have a spreadsheet that goes from April to March for the tax year. I have direct debit for a taxable expense that goes out each month. The direct debit for the April month the following year after the last March on my spreasheet went out on the 1st of April. I know the tax year goes up to the...
                          15-01-2021, 11:14 AM
                        • Reply to Tax expense dates?
                          by Gordon999
                          Better to book the cost as "repair to damp proof coarse" and claim the expense against your rental income.
                          17-01-2021, 07:26 AM
                        • Reply to Another new kitchen and bathroom story- CGT
                          by Gordon999
                          Renewing of kitchen and bathroom units does not give rise to capital gains .

Capital gains arises from sale of the property .
                          17-01-2021, 07:22 AM
                        • Another new kitchen and bathroom story- CGT
                          by Celibin
                          We have replaced the above (30 years old) prior to first let. The kitchen had to be done as the cooker(Free standing) was dangerous Ie very old Being 58 cm wide it was not possible to find a new one that would fit between the units without leaving quite a gap. Also hard to find new shelves for the interior...
                          16-01-2021, 06:40 AM
                          by Celibin
                          Sorry Gordon I meant the bath not the floor was sloping. So it was no longer fixed very well
                          17-01-2021, 06:37 AM
                          by Celibin
                          The old cooker was dangerous and almost certainly the kitchen cupboards needed pulling out to get behind them to update the electrics
                          17-01-2021, 06:36 AM
                          by jpucng62
                          I would say you can't transfer property to your children without triggering CGT unless you gave away a very small percentage so that it was under the CGT threshold each year - theoretically possible but a pain to do I would imagine! This is the biggest problem with property - it tends to trigger CGT...
                          16-01-2021, 17:00 PM
                        Working...
                        X