Working from home – home office.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working from home – home office.

Both myself and my wife work and pay tax through PAYE.

My wife has been working from home since the start of the pandemic ( she has been into work around 5 times ), now I usually claim a nominal amount for a home office on my tax return (think its £2 per week – will have to double check).

I’m aware I can claim for my wife now working from home on her tax return, £4 for 19/20 and £6 for 20/21 but can I still claim my £2 per week on my tax return?

She is working on the kitchen table using her work laptop and monitor, whereas my office is upstairs in the 4th bedroom.

Any idea?

Both of you pay separate tax
    Both of you have separate tax returns

Comment

Are you both claiming expense against rental income from the same BTL property ?

Or claiming expense for working on your normal job , but done at home ?

Comment

My wife is usually office based 99% of the time - I work for the local council.

My work hasn’t changed at all; she is now at home 99% of the time.

I run a BTL with 4 properties; I split the tax payments between both of us doing two tax returns splitting everything 50/50. I pretty much do 99% of the BTL work.

I usually just put down my home office at £2 per week, don’t claim for anything else, can’t be bothered with the hassle from HMRC if they come looking. My dad got investigated several years ago – turns out his accountant was dodgy and he ended up going to prison, still freaked him out as he didn’t know what his accountant had done and he got questioned as they thought he was in on it.

Comment

Your wife can claim £4 a week as an allowance for working from home.
          That's nothing to do with your rental business and is a different allowance than you're claiming in relation to that business.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I believe working from home you can both claim £6 a week each in your tax returns. 2019-2020 £4 a week.

If you spend at least 25 hours a week on landlord stuff you can claim £4 a week. So not sure your £2 a week is valid because either you spend less than 25 hours and claim nothing or do 25 hours and claim £4.

Comment

You can't claim putting in 25hours a week, when you have a full time day job.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Parents transferring property to children
                by jpkeates
                If the mortgages are standard BTL lending, the lender won't allow you to do what you're thinking of.
                I'd talk to a family solcitor, who will probably suggest a trust being set up to achieve what you're looking to do.
                17-01-2021, 11:05 AM
              • Parents transferring property to children
                by dhoops97
                Hi all,

My dad wants my brother and I to take over the management of his properties, as he's getting old and doesn't want to deal with tenants anymore. However, he doesn't want to sell and he has really good mortgage rates, which doesn't end for another 10 years. His idea was to change...
                16-01-2021, 14:32 PM
                by Gordon999
                What is the " approx total value" and "annual income" from dad's properties ?

Would a gift of 5% interest to each son give rise to much capital gains tax for father ? Would the mortgage company agree to include the 2 sons being included with dad in the mortgage...
                17-01-2021, 07:57 AM
              • Reply to Tax expense dates?
                by Gordon999
                Better to book the cost as "repair to damp proof coarse" and claim the expense against your rental income.
                17-01-2021, 07:26 AM
              • Tax expense dates?
                by ben100
                Ok so I have a spreadsheet that goes from April to March for the tax year. I have direct debit for a taxable expense that goes out each month. The direct debit for the April month the following year after the last March on my spreasheet went out on the 1st of April. I know the tax year goes up to the...
                15-01-2021, 11:14 AM
              • Reply to Another new kitchen and bathroom story- CGT
                by Gordon999
                Renewing of kitchen and bathroom units does not give rise to capital gains .

Capital gains arises from sale of the property .
                17-01-2021, 07:22 AM
              • Another new kitchen and bathroom story- CGT
                by Celibin
                We have replaced the above (30 years old) prior to first let. The kitchen had to be done as the cooker(Free standing) was dangerous Ie very old Being 58 cm wide it was not possible to find a new one that would fit between the units without leaving quite a gap. Also hard to find new shelves for the interior...
                16-01-2021, 06:40 AM
                by Celibin
                Sorry Gordon I meant the bath not the floor was sloping. So it was no longer fixed very well
                17-01-2021, 06:37 AM
                by Celibin
                The old cooker was dangerous and almost certainly the kitchen cupboards needed pulling out to get behind them to update the electrics
                17-01-2021, 06:36 AM
                by jpucng62
                I would say you can't transfer property to your children without triggering CGT unless you gave away a very small percentage so that it was under the CGT threshold each year - theoretically possible but a pain to do I would imagine! This is the biggest problem with property - it tends to trigger CGT...
                16-01-2021, 17:00 PM
              Working...
              X