When do you have to lodge the Declaration of Trust of beneficial ownership with HMRC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you have to lodge the Declaration of Trust of beneficial ownership with HMRC?

This is for 2 unrelated parties tenants in common with beneficial ownership (rental and proceeds of sale) 100% to one party. They are selling up soon and want to know if the CGT will only fall on the beneficial party.

How did you notify HMRC of your intention to split the income?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

we didn't we just got a dot signed up, we purchased in 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Berkshire45 View Post
        we didn't we just got a dot signed up, we purchased in 2011
        In which case, you're going to have some explaining to do to HMRC.
        Your tax returns to date are (at least technically) wrong and you need to sort that out before the sale.

HMRC would expect the income (and gain) to be divided equally, unless you tell them otherwise.
        They'll most likely only be unhappy if the outcome means that you have paid less tax than you would have otherwise.

Assuming the deed of trust is genuine, and you can prove that, it's most likely just going to be a pain to sort out.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It seems the registration of property at Land Registry is A & B , as tenants in common.

The DOT ( dated in 2011?) states the beneficial owner ( rental and sales proceeds) is B 100% only. If 100% rental income been reported in tax returns by B since 2011 , you have done nothing wrong and I don't think hmrc will be a great problem.

There may be problems with the conveyancing solicitor who is required to pay the proceeds from sale into a bank account belonging A+B ( name has to match the name of title holder in Land Registry ) . This does not match the existing dot which states B is 100% beneficiary .

If you want A&B to claim the capital gains allowance , you will have to terminate the existing DOT and revert to the status at Land Registry. I think you need to discuss the situation with the conveyancing solicitor before you decide to put the property on the market.

Comment

Just wanted to clear my confusion, if I have a Deed of Trust (TR1 form) in place with tenant in common which is more than one year old (when purchased the property), can I still inform the HMRC along with Form17 about the unequal split now? And is this necessary before sale of the property? Thanks

Comment

You can only use Form 17 within a fairly short time after the deed of trust is signed - I think it's 60 days.
              Otherwise it's invalid.

So I think you'd need a new deed and Form 17 and you'd need to tell HMRC before sale if you want to use the unequal split for the disposal proceeds.

Comment

Oh ok, in this instance, I might be able to fill in the TR1 form and Form 17 myself and submit to HMRC. Will I need anyone such as solicitor or accountant to help me with this? Thank you

Comment

You don't need a solicitor or an accountant (provided you understand what you're doing).

Comment

Originally posted by Echoes View Post
                    Oh ok, in this instance, I might be able to fill in the TR1 form and Form 17 myself and submit to HMRC. Will I need anyone such as solicitor or accountant to help me with this? Thank you
                    When I transferred land into joint names they had some helpful video's with examples and how to complete the forms so check that out.

Comment

Do you have the links I can have a look? Thanks

Comment

you can find the video on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                          you can find the video on youtube.
                          And also the relevent HMRC page has a link

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?
                            by Gordon999
                            Allowable expenses include solicitor's conveyancing fees , surveyors valuation & estate agent's charges for sale.
                            26-02-2021, 14:02 PM
                          • CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?
                            by JDO
                            Hello, I have recently sold one of my btl properties.
                            I have submitted my draft cgt calculation figures to my accountant.
                            In my figures I have included an original mortgage arrangement fee of £1300.
                            My accountant has informed me that the original fee is not an allowable expense for...
                            26-02-2021, 11:24 AM
                          • Reply to Cgt calulation
                            by Gordon999
                            Period as your "main residence" = 25 years plus 9 months after moving away is exempt for cgt.

Period under letting = 3 years -9 months = 2.25 years .

Taxable capital gain = £135K x 2.25 /28 = £10,850 which is below your annual capital gains allowance.= £0...
                            26-02-2021, 13:51 PM
                          • Cgt calulation
                            by Celibin
                            Based on current regs: Gain £135,000 owned 28 years let 3 years ?...
                            26-02-2021, 09:40 AM
                          • Reply to CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?
                            by jpkeates
                            Your accountant is correct, the mortgage fees are finance costs (like the interest) and are subject to the restricted allowance against income.

I don't know anyone who actually does apportion them over the mortgage term, but that is the correct treatment.
                            Most people treat them as...
                            26-02-2021, 11:58 AM
                          • Reply to Can I Reduce 3% Stamp Duty Surcharge by selling home to my own Ltd
                            by Jerome2020
                            You’re correct if the property is in England. Should be no CGT if always was your home and company pays just the 3% additional rate if value below £500k. Even if solicitors can’t get the job done by 31 March, it’s still possible to document the transfer of beneficial interest. This might be handy...
                            26-02-2021, 05:17 AM
                          • Can I Reduce 3% Stamp Duty Surcharge by selling home to my own Ltd
                            by DaddyofTwo
                            Hi

About to purchase a new main home for my family and going to buying cash to hopefully avoid stamp duty holiday expiry (it'll be below £500k).

We won't have the time to sell our current home, and might want to keep it anyway as a BTL to add to our current portfolio which...
                            22-02-2021, 14:42 PM
                          • Reply to Expense
                            by jpkeates
                            You can only expense things that are wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the business.
                            I don't see how that would qualify because most of it is for the purpose of living in Spain, not for the business.

No one does monthly inspections and it's obviously an attempt to funnel...
                            25-02-2021, 09:02 AM
                          • Expense
                            by jase222
                            Hi,
                            My dad asked me today, if he spends the late summer in his property in Spain say 3 months and he flys back once a month to check and inspect would that be claimable?? I said yes can't see why not but then would the. Hmrc say from permanent residence?...
                            24-02-2021, 16:53 PM
                          • Reply to Expense
                            by Neelix
                            I think that HMRC will not allow 100% - I would say he should call them and ask
                            25-02-2021, 08:41 AM
                          Working...
                          X