Additional stamp duty on transfer of equity when remortgaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Additional stamp duty on transfer of equity when remortgaging

I am about to remortgage a residential property to BTL which is solely in my name at the moment. But want to gift a % of the equity to my wife to be more tax efficient in the future as well. We own other properties as tenants in common.

- There is no stamp duty until march 2020 so we can totally ignore that.
    - Can someone confirm whether she would need to pay additional stamp duty (3%) ? or is it dependent on how much % share I give her?

Oddly my solicitor refused to answer me, they can only inform me of stamp duty due if any once I fill up the forms!

Appreciate your comments

The surcharge will apply because your wife owns an interest in another property.
    For SDLT purposes the transaction will take place at a calculation of the share she is gifted in the property as applied to the joint mortgage she is taking on as consideration.

So if you gift 10% of the property, the transaction will take place at 10% of the mortgage value for SDLT purposes.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you gift her under 40k's worth of equity then it will be SDLT free (unless you have already gifted her equity in other properties). If you gift her over 40k then I believe you will pay 3% on the entire amount.

Comment

You should pay a RICS surveyor for a statement of the current market valuation for the property. Then you can gift a % of the property ( below £40K value ) to your spouse.

Comment

thank you for your replies.

Is it 40k of the total value of the property or the mortgage value?

example-
          property value : £200k
          outstanding mortgage : £150k

1) 40k in 150k is 26.66%
          share I can gift to wife before triggering additional stamp duty

OR

2) 40k in 200k is 20%
          share I can gift to wife before triggering additional stamp duty

Comment

Option 1.
            The consideration is the cost of the share of the mortgage your wife is taking on.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Service charge
              by Barrington
              Can you claim service charge as a taxable expense even if it wasn't officially paid? We were originally the freehold of the building of two flats so we charged a service charge to the other flat and we paid ourselves. However we have now sold a share of the freehold to the other flat, so we stopped...
              01-12-2020, 14:53 PM
            • Reply to Service charge
              by Dan_Manchester
              No... jpkeates hit the nail on the head...
              02-12-2020, 05:45 AM
            • Rules governing main residence election
              by josswallace
              If we take the case of a person who owns a flat in London and then decides to buy a second property in the country, my understanding is that the individual can choose which property to nominate as his main residence.

In some circumstances the person may want to keep the flat as work/social...
              01-12-2020, 14:40 PM
            • Reply to Rules governing main residence election
              by Dan_Manchester
              Love it... ...
              02-12-2020, 05:42 AM
              by Gordon999
              You can nominate only one property as your " main residence" even if you hold 2 properties for personal use. So which one to nominate ?

Its not decided by the time spent : 5 weekdays ( in the city ) or the 2 weekend days ( in the country ).

The "main...
              02-12-2020, 04:37 AM
              by Gordon999
              You can claim 50% of any cost paid for maintenance including 50% of the annual building insurance policy or

you can claim the annual service charge payment billed for your flat if the building is managed by an agent.
              02-12-2020, 04:09 AM
              by AndrewDod
              If you are paying council tax and all the bills on both places I can't see how they would know the % time you spend in each. Council tax alone is not the crux. Is anyone else staying there, paying rent.

You also can't re-decide every year or two as it suits you.

By the way...
              01-12-2020, 16:16 PM
              by jpkeates
              You can't claim for a cost that isn't incurred (if accounting on the cash basis) or which is not ever due to be paid (if accounting on the accrual basis).
              You can claim for the actual repair costs that are incurred.
              01-12-2020, 15:31 PM
              by jpkeates
              You can only nominate your main residence if you genuinely live in both of them.
              And "occasional weekend / holiday home" wouldn't qualify.

HMRC have every right to decline a nomination and have 6 years from any tax event to start to investigate and require proof.
              I...
              01-12-2020, 15:29 PM
            • Reply to Can I offset residential mortgage interest against BTL?
              by jpkeates
              If I've understood correctly, you already own the BTL property, so there's nothing to purchase.
              You're actually taking equity out of the BTL property to buy your new home....
              01-12-2020, 14:34 PM
            Working...
            X