Letter from HMRC regarding foreign income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter from HMRC regarding foreign income

I have received a rather rude letter from HMRC accusing me of not declaring foreign income/gains. This is a mystery to me, as for over twenty years I have sent all my papers to my UK accountant to interpret. Accompanying the letter is a questionaire giving four options to tick.
    1.) I need to bring my tax affairs up to date.

2.) I believe I have declared all my overseas income & gains. This further asks what tax year, and in what box was it entered.

3.) I have not declared them as they are covered by personal allowance

4.) I have not declared them as they are not liable to UK tax.

My accountant has suggested I reply by letter to avoid accidentally making a false declaration, but has not suggested the text of such letter.

Any thoughts?

Have you had any overseas income (or gains) in the last seven years?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      Have you had any overseas income (or gains) in the last seven years?
      Yes. But all notified to my accountant, (and foreign pages completed every year.)

Comment

I'd ask your accountant to respond, then.
        It's basically their work that's being queried, not yours.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It is interesting to read this post this morning given that in the a Trade Publication the following article appeared which might be of interest to Forum Readers.

"HMRC are sending out 14,000 'nudge' letters to people who have sold a residential property during the 2018/19 tax year asking them to check whether they owe Capital Gains Tax, according to tax and advisory firm Blick Rothenberg.

However, the firm says there is a "more immediate problem".

Suzanne Briggs, a partner at the firm said: Anyone who has sold a property after April 6th this year where there is CGT to pay, should have reported the disposal and paid the CGT within 30 days of the sale. A late return will incur a late filing penalty and interest on the late payment of the CGT.

“There has been little publicity about this new regime and the short filing deadline will catch many people out. HMRC should be proactively educating taxpayers rather than penalising them for late filing after the event. Anyone who thinks that they owe money should deal with it now or they could face fines and interest charges.”

“The‘nudge’ letter relating to the 2018/19 tax year will invite taxpayers to review their CGT position and either amend their tax return or make a disclosure. Taxpayers will be alarmed by receiving these letters, but they should take care not to ignore them and to take immediate advice or they too could face fines and interest charges.

"HMRC are targeting the letters at individuals who have sold a property which may not have been their main home. It is unclear how HMRC will conclude that a particular property may not have been a taxpayer’s main home, but from my experience of previous nudge letter campaigns, HMRC do not generally undertake any internal checks to verify the information they hold and so taxpayers can receive a letter where there is nothing to disclose.

“It is important to be aware that main residence relief (which exempts a capital gain on the sale of a property) only applies in full if a property has been your “only or main residence” throughout your ownership. The legislation around main residence relief can be complex if you have not lived in the property as your main residence throughout or you own more than one property. It is not always the case that main residence relief applies to the property being sold.”

Comment

They often just check stuff randomly -- if you lied (or your accountant lied on your behalf) then you will be in trouble. I have had various random checks at least 5 times in the past 20 years. If you can't justify your return you might find yourself subject to a complete tax audit, and will be watched with a hawk eye for ever more.

Someone might also have reported some suspicion. I regularly report people who I think are not paying tax.

Comment

If you have kept a copy of the tax returns for last 6 years, I suggest you make a review to check if any info was omitted by your accountant . Recently banks in many overseas countries have joined a reporting system to inform their local tax office of any bank account opened for clients with overseas address and this info gets passed on to the overseas tax office.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications
                by Gordon999
                D999,

The taxman's method of calculating :

Capital gain is the Sale Price ( say £200K ) minus Purchase Price ( say £130K ) = £70K capital gain.

But buying and selling expenses are allowable and include the conveyancing cost : say £1K plus estate agent'...
                12-04-2021, 14:17 PM
              • Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications
                by dotcotton999
                Evening all,

I am currently looking to move house and also have a rental property that has around £200k equity in it.

The rental house had consent to let and on a repayment mortgage and has 3 years to go until I can switch deals.

I have spoken to a mortgage broker...
                08-04-2021, 19:52 PM
              • CGT and tax returns
                by Lots on
                Hello all, just need some advice re CGT. I have a house which I refurbished entirely, mostly in this financial year and I could start my tax returns on the 6th of April 2021. I spent nearly £30000. New kitchen and bathroom, re doing the garden, new flooring throughout ,total electrical re wire, re...
                02-04-2021, 09:46 AM
              • Reply to CGT and tax returns
                by Lots on
                Thank you for your kind words JP and the tips re using an accountant. Having been taxed at source all my working life this is very useful information. I will look round for an accountant. A friend of mine who is also a landlord as well as having a day job has one, so maybe a personal recommendation...
                12-04-2021, 10:04 AM
              • Reply to CGT and tax returns
                by jpkeates
                Thank you for your work in the NHS!

I've found that the first sessions were the most valuable in terms of what could be saved, and the value has diminished slightly and the costs of the returns being done has stayed the same/slightly increased, so it feels like it's less worth it.
                12-04-2021, 08:28 AM
              • spreadsheet
                by jase222
                I been looking at spreadsheets to list my expenses and every template I find seems to allocate expenses per house ie 5 houses = 5 separate sheets whereas I just put everything down on one sheet.
                I would like to know if I have been doing it wrong all these years.
                ​​​​​​Any help...
                11-04-2021, 13:53 PM
              • Reply to spreadsheet
                by jpkeates
                I use one page of a spreadsheet for all the income and expenses and have other pages which automatically summarise the data property by property.
                12-04-2021, 08:24 AM
                by jpkeates
                When you sell the property, you can't retain any of the equity, so that doesn't really make any sense to me.
                On disposal, the mortgage will end and have to be repaid.

The value of the rental property when first let is also a limit to the amount of the loan against which interest can...
                12-04-2021, 08:22 AM
                by dotcotton999
                Gordon999 thanks for your reply. In regards to CGT so if I was due to sell a house I could request to remove all the equity before the sale and wouldn’t be subject to CGT... that doesn’t seem right.

In regards to switching my mortgage from repayment to and interest only... would I incur...
                11-04-2021, 19:31 PM
              • Reply to spreadsheet
                by Gordon999
                Its good to keep a separate sheet for each property because when you come to sell one house , you may want to show the rental and expenses records for one house to prospective buyers.
                11-04-2021, 19:08 PM
              Working...
              X