Self assessment tax question: no rental income for 2019/2020, but setup costs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self assessment tax question: no rental income for 2019/2020, but setup costs.

Help and advice please.

Self assessment tax question: no rental income for 2019/2020, but setup costs, minus figure.

Tax questions...in regard to self assessment for 2019 to 2020 (no rental income, but various setup costs)

My father-in-law has moved to a new property but has kept his old property and has been renting the property for the past few months, the rental income falls into the tax year 2020 – 2021.

There is no mortgage on the property in question.

But prior to the end of the 2019 to 2020 tax year he had zero rental income, but he has had various costs such as smoke alarms, various other work to make it suitable for renting, increased insurance costs (vacant property) and of course the dreaded council tax, so all outgoings whilst the property was vacant and been prepared for letting.

So we were wondering, on his self assessment for 2019 to 2020, would he simply add up all his costs and input a minus figure? Or is it a little more complicated than that?

You can charge the costs incurred whilst waiting for a tenant as expenses incurred on 1st day of the rental business.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
      You can charge the costs incurred whilst waiting for a tenant as expenses incurred on 1st day of the rental business.
      Hi Gordon thank you for your reply, oddly enough my father in law is called Gordon!

So does that mean, he simply inputs no figure for 2019 to 2020 ,but in 2020 - 2021 he factors in all his setup costs from 2019 to 2020 to prepare the property, insurance, council tax etc and shows it as a cost even though those costs were incurred in 2019 to 2020 tax year?

Comment

Yes, that's correct.
        His rental business began on the first day of the first tenancy, so all preparation costs are treated as being incurred on that day.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          Yes, that's correct.
          His rental business began on the first day of the first tenancy, so all preparation costs are treated as being incurred on that day.
          Brilliant thank you for your advice, that is most helpful.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications
            by dotcotton999
            Evening all,

I am currently looking to move house and also have a rental property that has around £200k equity in it.

The rental house had consent to let and on a repayment mortgage and has 3 years to go until I can switch deals.

I have spoken to a mortgage broker...
            08-04-2021, 19:52 PM
          • Reply to Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications
            by Gordon999
            D999,

The taxman's method of calculating :

Capital gain is the Sale Price ( say £200K ) minus Purchase Price ( say £130K ) = £70K capital gain.

But buying and selling expenses are allowable and include the conveyancing cost : say £1K plus estate agent'...
            12-04-2021, 14:17 PM
          • CGT and tax returns
            by Lots on
            Hello all, just need some advice re CGT. I have a house which I refurbished entirely, mostly in this financial year and I could start my tax returns on the 6th of April 2021. I spent nearly £30000. New kitchen and bathroom, re doing the garden, new flooring throughout ,total electrical re wire, re...
            02-04-2021, 09:46 AM
          • Reply to CGT and tax returns
            by Lots on
            Thank you for your kind words JP and the tips re using an accountant. Having been taxed at source all my working life this is very useful information. I will look round for an accountant. A friend of mine who is also a landlord as well as having a day job has one, so maybe a personal recommendation...
            12-04-2021, 10:04 AM
          • Reply to CGT and tax returns
            by jpkeates
            Thank you for your work in the NHS!

I've found that the first sessions were the most valuable in terms of what could be saved, and the value has diminished slightly and the costs of the returns being done has stayed the same/slightly increased, so it feels like it's less worth it.
            12-04-2021, 08:28 AM
          • spreadsheet
            by jase222
            I been looking at spreadsheets to list my expenses and every template I find seems to allocate expenses per house ie 5 houses = 5 separate sheets whereas I just put everything down on one sheet.
            I would like to know if I have been doing it wrong all these years.
            ​​​​​​Any help...
            11-04-2021, 13:53 PM
          • Reply to spreadsheet
            by jpkeates
            I use one page of a spreadsheet for all the income and expenses and have other pages which automatically summarise the data property by property.
            12-04-2021, 08:24 AM
            by jpkeates
            When you sell the property, you can't retain any of the equity, so that doesn't really make any sense to me.
            On disposal, the mortgage will end and have to be repaid.

The value of the rental property when first let is also a limit to the amount of the loan against which interest can...
            12-04-2021, 08:22 AM
            by dotcotton999
            Gordon999 thanks for your reply. In regards to CGT so if I was due to sell a house I could request to remove all the equity before the sale and wouldn’t be subject to CGT... that doesn’t seem right.

In regards to switching my mortgage from repayment to and interest only... would I incur...
            11-04-2021, 19:31 PM
          • Reply to spreadsheet
            by Gordon999
            Its good to keep a separate sheet for each property because when you come to sell one house , you may want to show the rental and expenses records for one house to prospective buyers.
            11-04-2021, 19:08 PM
          Working...
          X