Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpkeates
    replied
    The property was (arguably) part of the rental business from when you moved out.
    You could therefore claim for the bills as expenses, which are treated as having being incurred on the first day of the first tenancy.

Leave a comment:

• gnvqsos
    replied
    You are responsible for paying CT from Feb going forward so would claim all tax paid,unitl let when tenant pays.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Doing DIY stuff since you moved out probably OK.

Maybe the Council Tax from when it was actually available to let.

8 months is a rather long time, even under the current circumstances

Leave a comment:

• cuttingman
    started a topic Expenses what would start date be?

Expenses what would start date be?

We moved out of the property at the end of Jan. Did some DIY stuff, tradesmen stuff and spoke to various agents. Finally got property online with agent mid March. End of August property rented out.

So we understand Council Tax and utilities can be claimed as expenses. But when would we start this on tax return? End of Jan or mid March? We guess mid March as we have an agency receipt as proof.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rules governing main residence election
    by AndrewDod
    If you are paying council tax and all the bills on both places I can't see how they would know the % time you spend in each. Council tax alone is not the crux. Is anyone else staying there, paying rent.

You also can't re-decide every year or two as it suits you.

By the way...
    01-12-2020, 16:16 PM
  • Rules governing main residence election
    by josswallace
    If we take the case of a person who owns a flat in London and then decides to buy a second property in the country, my understanding is that the individual can choose which property to nominate as his main residence.

In some circumstances the person may want to keep the flat as work/social...
    01-12-2020, 14:40 PM
  • Service charge
    by Barrington
    Can you claim service charge as a taxable expense even if it wasn't officially paid? We were originally the freehold of the building of two flats so we charged a service charge to the other flat and we paid ourselves. However we have now sold a share of the freehold to the other flat, so we stopped...
    01-12-2020, 14:53 PM
  • Reply to Service charge
    by jpkeates
    You can't claim for a cost that isn't incurred (if accounting on the cash basis) or which is not ever due to be paid (if accounting on the accrual basis).
    You can claim for the actual repair costs that are incurred.
    01-12-2020, 15:31 PM
  • Reply to Rules governing main residence election
    by jpkeates
    You can only nominate your main residence if you genuinely live in both of them.
    And "occasional weekend / holiday home" wouldn't qualify.

HMRC have every right to decline a nomination and have 6 years from any tax event to start to investigate and require proof.
    I...
    01-12-2020, 15:29 PM
  • Can I offset residential mortgage interest against BTL?
    by Fothers1987
    Hi All,

I am in the purchase of remortgaging BTL my home and buying a new house.

I wondered whether it would be possible to claim tax relief against the interest repayments of my new property against the profits of my BTL? In other words working out the interest on my residential...
    01-12-2020, 11:50 AM
  • Reply to Can I offset residential mortgage interest against BTL?
    by jpkeates
    If I've understood correctly, you already own the BTL property, so there's nothing to purchase.
    You're actually taking equity out of the BTL property to buy your new home....
    01-12-2020, 14:34 PM
  • Reply to HMRC tax haul...
    by jpkeates
    I think the comparison is based on £1.5 billion lost in benefits fraud (and nearly 3 times as much lost in "errors") versus HM Revenue and Customs estimates that it lost about £2.7 billion through tax avoidance and £4.4 billion through tax evasion.

HMRC estimates that about...
    01-12-2020, 14:30 PM
  • HMRC tax haul...
    by theartfullodger
    The Times today reports (but can't find it on their website) that 58,779 landlords including those living overseas pail a totla of |£163m since start of Let property campaign.

And some 1,500 BTL property owners living outside UK have admittted underpaying tax over past 5 years, 390 in...
    28-11-2020, 16:57 PM
  • Reply to Can I offset residential mortgage interest against BTL?
    by Lesney Park
    Can I clarify that you're doing Let to Buy? i.e. you are renting out your current home after extracting some equity from it during the remortgage, to be used as deposit for the new primary residence?

On the assumption you are, the interest on the increased mortgage in the BTL is allowable,...
    01-12-2020, 14:27 PM
Working...
X