CGT From BTL portfolio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT From BTL portfolio

I ve decided to give up on the BTL uk market - I m getting too old for this all and frankly want to move abroad

I have had a property which was bought for 200K - It is now worth 500K.

I realise that CGT will be due on the 300k which is a lot to stomach. I know I have a 12K CGT allowance but that i not much

Can I gift this property to my niece or sell it at an undervalue - There seems to be rollover relief but I m not sure i understood it.

You might think 300k pnl is a lot but inflation adjusted it is not that much

Thanks to all for serious answers .

Originally posted by ChloeRadshaw View Post
    Can I gift this property to my niece or sell it at an undervalue.
    CGT would still be due on the market value of the property.

Comment

CGT is payable after disposal by sale or by gifting ( assuming no mortgage ) ..

Assuming you are paying tax at 40% rate on your income, the capital gains is taxed at 28% rate.

For capital gain of £300K less £12,300 capital gains personal allowance = £287,700 charged at 28% = £80,556 tax bill.

Comment

It seems you are planning to leave UK having paid over £80000-Whitehall will be delighted.The good news is you take about £410000 with you

Comment

You could re mortgage the property. Enjoy the proceeds, pay someone to manage it and pass on any remaining equity to your niece free of CGT or inheritance tax (depending on your full situation).

Depends which is more important to you, getting out of BTL entirely or saving tax.

Comment

Sell when you become non-resident... only gains that accrue after 5th April 2015 will be taxable. There are certain anti-avoidance provisions such as temporary absences abroad, so seek professional advice from a qualified tax adviser.

Comment

Originally posted by ChloeRadshaw View Post
              Can I gift this property to my niece or sell it at an undervalue - There seems to be rollover relief but I m not sure i understood it..
              Rollover relief doesn't apply here.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Sibbers123 View Post
                Sell when you become non-resident... only gains that accrue after 5th April 2015 will be taxable. There are certain anti-avoidance provisions such as temporary absences abroad, so seek professional advice from a qualified tax adviser.
                Thank you. This is exactly what I am doing and I asked specific question about the five year outside Uk tax rule and whether that starts from day of sale or five years from date of departure

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Capital gains tax allowance or on tax return for new roof ?
                  by alice123
                  Hi,

Can anyone help on this ? ive recently sold a property and in the process of submitting my CGT calculation, (yep 30 days deadline im aware of)

Had to totally replace all roof tiles, batons and gutterings including fascias ect ( and before anyone points it out YES we did...
                  21-01-2021, 21:19 PM
                • Reply to Capital gains tax allowance or on tax return for new roof ?
                  by alice123
                  Thanks -!

New roof was 6500 in total, for total re-tile and remove wooden fascias , renew gutters
                  I think the drive was about 1,500

I have 95,000 minus 75000 - giving 20,000 minus the 12,300 total taxable 7,700 take off the solicitors fees say 7000 -

How...
                  22-01-2021, 00:01 AM
                • Reply to Capital gains tax allowance or on tax return for new roof ?
                  by Gordon999
                  The capital gain is calculated from ( sales proceeds ) minus ( purchase cost plus improvement cost )

The cost of "new drive with paving stone " can be counted as part improvement ( cost can be apportioned ).

The cost of "re-tiling roof" can be...
                  21-01-2021, 23:24 PM
                • Gift to spouse
                  by pebblepebble
                  My rental property is owned with my spouse as tenants in common. I own 90%, spouse 10% - HMRC were informed on Form 17 and this split included on TR1 in the DOT section when purchased

I want to gift 20% so split is 70% : 30%.

I have a DOT drawn up by a solicitor from when it...
                  21-01-2021, 21:34 PM
                • Reply to Gift to spouse
                  by theartfullodger
                  Obviously marriages never fail, relationships never breakdown.
                  Artful:. On 3rd marriage
                  21-01-2021, 23:00 PM
                • Reply to Declaration of trust with wife to reduce tax liability?
                  by Madmax86
                  That's where the deed of assignment comes in which states each person's share. Is that what you mean by the complex admin?...
                  21-01-2021, 17:27 PM
                • Declaration of trust with wife to reduce tax liability?
                  by Madmax86
                  Hi all

I'm new to this forum so please be gentle

Background

I am sole owner of a BTL property (which is mortgaged).

I plan to assign 99% of the beneficial interest to my wife via a Declaration of Trust to use up her tax liability. I am a...
                  18-01-2021, 09:07 AM
                • Reply to Declaration of trust with wife to reduce tax liability?
                  by jpkeates
                  The cause of confusion is that there is both property law and then there are HMRC's processes and rules.

If you want to use a simple deed of trust and notify HMRC using form 17, it doesn't really matter what the legal position about assigning beneficial interest is, HMRC require that the...
                  21-01-2021, 11:05 AM
                • Tax figures?
                  by ben100
                  Might be a silly question but I just want to be completely accurate. On the self assessment for my rental income I read something about rounding expenses up & income down. Now let's say my income was £7,020,40 and expenses were £556.83 making the final income £6,463.57. How exactly should I round...
                  20-01-2021, 09:59 AM
                • Reply to Tax figures?
                  by ben100
                  Yes I am aware of that but I did speak to them concerning that & explained the circumstances & was told penalty should be removed when appealed so should be fine....
                  21-01-2021, 10:00 AM
                Working...
                X