Can costs of 'tarting a house up for sale' be deducted from CG liability on disposal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-property/work-out-your-gain

Specifically says normal maintenance expenses such as decorating do not count as allowable costs.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

It is entirely unambiguous and even gives an example. "costs of improvement works, for example for an extension (normal maintenance costs, such as decorating, do not count)"

Even replacing a boiler does not count - so why do you think sweeping the carpets would count as a Capital Expense.....
      I would argue that redecorating,even though existing decor is clean etc,to enhance a house sale is not a normal maitenance cost.This is a grey area ie not b+w as some suggest.Replacing a wooden window with upvc could be either a repair or upgrade depending on context.

Comment

Deduct costs

You can deduct costs of buying, selling or improving your property from your gain. These include:
        • estate agents’ and solicitors’ fees
        • costs of improvement works, for example for an extension (normal maintenance costs, such This as decorating, do not count)
        Last edited by Gordon999; 16-09-2020, 06:44 AM. Reason: Copied from Govt website.

Comment

Above info is copied from Govt website. So if you decide to tart up, included some improvement work and apportion the costs between maintenance and improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post
            I would argue that redecorating,even though existing decor is clean etc,to enhance a house sale is not a normal maitenance cost.This is a grey area ie not b+w as some suggest.Replacing a wooden window with upvc could be either a repair or upgrade depending on context.
            It isn't really a grey area.

HMRC's tax manuals are clear about what is a capital item - adding a room, adding an externsion.
            They accept that any replacement is likely to bring about an upgrade, a new boiler is likely to be more efficient than an older device.
            Replacing wooden window frames with UPC is maintenance, you are simply replacing standard windows (installed when wood was standard) with standard windows (UPC being the current standard).

There used to be some debate about installing double glazing, which is an upgrade, but try buying a single glazed window in 2020...
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

And to add an extra thing to this - even some capital expenses are not legitimate claimable ones. For example if you add a new wall in 1996, and then in 2006 abolished that new wall and create a new room with new walls again -- the 1996 expense can't be claimed in your 2020 sale. The thing has to exist at the point of sale.

Comment

Do you work for HMRC as you speak with immense authority?

Comment

Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post

Do you work for HMRC as you speak with immense authority?
                  ^^Very peurile/silly comment

But yes, the capital improvement has to exist in the finally sold item to be eligible as a capital expense.

And no I don't "work for HMRC"

Comment

I will ignore your remark but I maintain very few things are quite as clear as you suggest,otherwise there would be no higher courts of appeal where even staute law is contested.Unless you work for HMRC or have been trained by ex-HMRC you cannot be so categoric.My father ran Gloucester tax office abd he frequently recalled grey areas which accountants etc. would contest.
                    PS would help if you could spell puerile!

Comment

There are always grey areas.
                      Luckily this isn't really one of them.

There are things that fall into both categories (capital and maintenance) - extending a bathroom is the usual textbook example.
                      But preparing a property for sale shouldn't be a capital expense, and you'd have to do something completely out of the ordinary for it to become one.
                      Way beyond "tarting up".

And for what it's worth, the last place I would look for tax advice is HMRC.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to capital gains bill when due
                        by AndrewDod
                        Not completely following you artful. There is a PERFECTLY GOOD online form which actually works remarkably well running you through the process. I usually criticise shambolic administration - but in this instance it was fine/good.

Press big green start button on this page
                        https...
                        26-09-2020, 15:37 PM
                      • capital gains bill when due
                        by halfax
                        sold a property in august 2020, informed hmrc , anyone know when i will get thethe tax demand?...
                        12-09-2020, 18:51 PM
                      • Reply to capital gains bill when due
                        by theartfullodger
                        Had a look at a tax forum, this does seem to still be a requirement to report within 30 days but, like so much of Cummings' wonderful administration simply doesn't work & has no IT or paper form operational. Do hope someone can prove me wrong... see
                        https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/......
                        26-09-2020, 15:20 PM
                      • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                        by flyingfreehold
                        it applies where someone could exercise their right to compulsorily acquire. we have only claimed the extra statutory concession where an extension is granted strictly clause 56 of the act but it may be allowable on a non statutory extension at a nominal ground rent....
                        25-09-2020, 20:24 PM
                      • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                        by divadee
                        Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
                        07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
                        by Gordon999
                        You should look at the last set of company's accounts and check if the money to pay for purchase of the freehold is shown money as "borrowed from Director" . The situation may well be the company has made a loss £9K- £10K .and the funds held by the company can be paid back to Director to...
                        25-09-2020, 13:23 PM
                      • Reply to council tax liability
                        by dexterpierson
                        That is brilliant.
                        Thank you so much
                        25-09-2020, 11:21 AM
                      • council tax liability
                        by dexterpierson
                        I had a tenant who moved out of my property without giving any notice and posted the keys through the estate agent's letterbox.
                        I notified the council of this and the date the keys were returned and resumed liability for the council tax while the property is empty.
                        The council got back in...
                        14-09-2019, 10:11 AM
                        by Section20z
                        Does that only apply where they "could have" and did, or also if the non statutory option is followed ?...
                        25-09-2020, 08:14 AM
                        by theta
                        My understanding (with the caveat that I'm not an accountant) is that the proceeds are not income but partial disposal, therefore return of capital plus gains. Within a company there's no difference between CGT and income tax, but it does mean that you offset the original acquisition cost....
                        25-09-2020, 07:06 AM
                      Working...
                      X