First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?

Hi all

This might be a simple one, or not.

Can someone please advise if this seems correct?

For 2019-2020 I have the following on the HMRC form:

£9715 income
    £2558 total allowable expenses

Profit £7517

I believe mortgage payments/interest are not counted now? unless I should have included that in taxable expenses? but didn't read it anywhere :/

The next page worked out £1425.20 due for 2019-2020 based on my figures, then it seems you have to pay half of the next year.

I did this calculation as a check on the Tax Scouts rental income calculator and it mentioned I can claim £510 from mortgage interest payments and £306 as a tax credit?

This is my first time doing this, any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Are you using the online self assessment or a paper tax return?
    Have you had a statement of interest from your mortgage company telling you how much interest you have paid on your mortgage for the 2019 - 2020 tax year and have you included that amount in the £2,558 expenses figure?

Comment

Thanks BTL

I am using the online version as it advised me to.

No actually, is this something I request from them or do I use the annual statement they send? The £2558 does not include my mortgage payments

Comment

You need to phone your mortgage lender and ask them to send you a statement of interest for the 2019 - 2020 tax year (I’m assuming you’ve got a buy to let mortgage rather than just renting the property out with a residential mortgage) some lenders send them without you having to ask but if you haven’t received it yet they probably won’t send it until you ask.
        For the 2019 - 2020 tax year 25% of your interest (and any associated costs such as broker fees) is deductible as an expense, the other 75% you will receive a 20% tax credit on in the form of a reduction on the tax bill. From 2020 onwards none of it is deductible as an expense instead you will receive a 20% credit on the total allowable mortgage costs. There is separate boxes in the online assessment for the mortgage costs, I’ll have a look back through mine tomorrow to refresh my memory of how it’s done as I had a bit of confusion with mine this year.

Comment

As for paying half of next years bill yes you have to pay that but I think you have until 31st January 2021 to pay that.

Comment

Thank you BTL, I really appreciate this as did not know.

Yes I have a buy to let mortgage so should be fine to obtain this.

Aha, so the £510 tax scouts refer to is the 25% of the interest.

Oh right, I didn't notice the mortgage cost ones but maybe overlooked it.

Many thanks indeed, most helpful

Comment

For tax scouts calculator to know that £510 is 25% of your mortgage interest you must’ve already received a statement of interest stating that your interest for the 19 - 20 tax year was £2,040
              75% of £2,040 is £1,530 and a 20% credit on that would be £306 so that’s where the £306 came from in your original post. This means you must already have the statement of interest so don’t need to request one.
              The figures of £510 and £1,530 are what is needed for the tax return but they are entered separately from your expenses such as gas safety certificate and any maintenance expenses etc.

Comment

Taking your mortgage costs in to account I think your tax bill should end up somewhere around £1,020 assuming all the figures you’ve supplied are correct.

Comment

On tax scouts I entered my monthly interest only payment on their calculator which I guess is the same thing and makes sense now.

Yes I did, and do, find it a little confusing where to enter what, despite reading lots and watching their videos! If you could advise or point me in the right direction it would be great?

I ticked the option to submit expense in one go rather that detailed, assume that it ok? also surprised it seems to be done on trust, luckily I do keep all receipts

Comment

Also just remembered I changed the deal with the provider and paid 1 £1495.00 fee which must have to go somewhere too?

many thanks!

Comment

You need to know how much total interest you’ve paid during the entire 19 - 20 tax year, add that together with the £1,495 and then work out what 25% and 75% of that figure is to enter in the appropriate boxes on the tax return , you don’t just enter your monthly payment.

Comment

Ok, I seem to be fine with my numbers. Total amount of monthly interest only mortgage repayments and the fee to change offers is £3556.50 which 25% of that is £889.13 and 75% of is £2667.38 as far as my calculations go...

I just cannot find where I enter these figures, even having gone over the form several times now!

Just to be sure I haven't ticked something wrong, on the summary it shows:
                        Summary for Rental income

Business income: £ 9,715.00

Total allowable expenses: £ 2,558.00

Profit or Loss: £ 7,157.00

Capital allowances: £ 0.00

Balancing charges: £ 0.00

Tax adjustments: £ 0.00
                        Total taxable profits or net business loss (before any set-offs): £ 7,157.00Help about<b></b>: Total taxable profits or net business loss - opens in a new window

This is where I entered the rental income and thought the wording seemed odd:
                        Income for Rental income

I commit to provide honest and accurate information within this section.

Turnover - takings, fees, sales or money earned by your business: (optional)Help about: Your Turnover

Any other business income not already included above: (optional)Help about: Any other Business Income

Trading Income Allowance: (optional)Help about: Trading income allowance

Total business income: £9715.00

Hope that all makes sense and really do appreciate the time helping me on this.

Comment

I dont think my previous post was approved as I edited it a few times and copied some text from my assessment form, maybe not allowed?

Comment

It was saying my figures are fine now but I just cannot find where I enter these figures, even having gone over the form several times now

Comment

It was saying? What’s ‘it’? Tax scouts calculator or Online assessment form?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Limited or not....
                                by ZIGGYVIGGY
                                Dear All

Need advise on the following
                                • Funds stuck in Limited Company waiting to be invested.
                                • Question - Will the Limited Company "that has never held a Property" be made liable for SDLT on its first purchase (I am the sole director and personally hold 1 BTL and 1 main)
                                • If
                                11-08-2020, 22:33 PM
                              • Can't work out CGT
                                by thecrazy1
                                Hello all! This is my first post and I need your help.

I have been trying to work out the tax on a property gain. Here are my calculations.
                                Inherited the house (property B) in 1997 which is opposite the house (property A) I lived in with my wife. From 1997 - 2000 i stayed in property...
                                11-08-2020, 15:51 PM
                              • Reply to Can't work out CGT
                                by Gordon999
                                What is your annual income from your job ? are you paying 20% or 40% tax on income ? .

The capital gains tax is 18% or 28% and capital gains allowance ( tax free ) is £12,500.

If you lived in property B for 8 years , you should be able to claim 8 years plus 9 months...
                                11-08-2020, 18:35 PM
                              • Reply to Can't work out CGT
                                by jpkeates
                                First of all, you only need to nominate a property if you live in more than one property at the same time.
                                Someone who works in one place and spends weekends somwhere else would normally want to do that so there's no doubt which is their main residence.

From the sound of it, you were...
                                11-08-2020, 18:06 PM
                              • Can I Rent My Private BTLs to my own Ltd Company?
                                by Crunchie
                                I own 5 buy to let HMOs in my private name with mortgages and have to pay the higher rate of income tax. My properties are my only source of income.

Can I set up a Ltd Company and rent my properties to it for a rental that is less than the higher rate tax band, say £45,000 total? The tenants...
                                09-08-2020, 20:25 PM
                              • Reply to Can I Rent My Private BTLs to my own Ltd Company?
                                by Gordon999
                                I think your mortgage lender will object to renting of your BTLs to a company.

But there is nothing to stop your company providing annual inspection and maintenance service to your flats ( 5 years external painting and internal decoration ) etc and charging a profit for the service.
                                11-08-2020, 08:30 AM
                                by theartfullodger
                                Hopefully chancellor will tighten up some of this sort of tax fiddling schemes.

Taxes need to go up to pay for covid19 & Brexit
                                10-08-2020, 09:02 AM
                              • CGT evidence
                                by PaulRs1
                                Hi All,

I’m an accidental landlord and about to sell the house. Lived in it for 4 years and rented it out for 6 (with the intention of moving back, which never happened)

im aware I need to pay CGT and can claim improvement costs, I basically bought a wreck and renovated it...
                                08-08-2020, 13:25 PM
                              • Reply to CGT evidence
                                by jpkeates
                                AndrewDod is right, the extension sounds like a capital item, but the refurbishment of the property itself probably isn't.
                                And, for all the work done while you were living there, there's no tax allowance against income....
                                10-08-2020, 08:58 AM
                                by jpkeates
                                There are two obstacles.

There's nothing specifically where HMRC says that you can't let properties to your company at below market rate, but it would probably fall foul of the general anti-abuse rule, because the arrangement exists entirely to reduce the amount of tax you pay - there is...
                                10-08-2020, 08:55 AM
                              Working...
                              X