tax allowance for new tiles on roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax allowance for new tiles on roof

ok - I had a surveyor down recently who told me my BTL needs attention to guttering and new fasicas as they are in need of sorting out - had a roofer quote me but also told me the tiles needed replacing on roof as they are missing in areas and letting in water , i know this to be true as I looked at the picture when i bought the property and the tiles are missing in chunks - question - do i offset the whole of the cost for repairing the roof/tiles and new fascias /gutters ? its not a cosmetic improvement we are replacing like for like and cant get hold of slates so it has to be tiles , so we are doing a whole re tile so it will all look the same -
    also was hoping someone could shed some light on Building control and planning - im sure i need BDG control approval but how does this work

many thanks

I put down that sort of work wholly against income tax. You know it's not a good idea to replace slates with tiles, dont't you? (Will make the ceilings sag upstairs due to extra weight.)

Not sure about building regs.

Comment

Originally posted by alice123 View Post
      the tiles needed replacing on roof as they are missing in areas and letting in water , i know this to be true as I looked at the picture when i bought the property and the tiles are missing in chunks
      Surely the cost is a capital cost, as the property needed the work doing when it was bought.

Comment

thanks all yes just checked my survey and there are tiles on already not slates so we are replacing tile with tile but a different looking tile as the ones on already were in the 1950s

Comment

it was bought ten years ago - sorry didnt make myself clear ive google street mapped it and looked at the roof that way so its recent deterioration (had it been on purchase would have noticed it at survey ) was ok when i bought it - the google street map its about 5 yrs old which is what i meant so its gone over the past 8 yrs or so - i had some tiles replaced a couple years back and rofer then said a lot are missing but are leaking and builder says felt has is done in so im sure it was ok on purchse

Comment

Its a maintenance cost which is an allowable expense against the annual rental income

Comment

this has now gone from bad to worse - they said we didnt need BDGs regulations for the re tile now I am aware that we do !! on chosing tiles he said oh yes we need BDGs regulations so i have applied for it on line and was about to pay the fee - hes now messaged me to say as we are involving BDGs regulations the price will go up to 7500 form 5500 and needs a 50 percent deposit - he kept saying from the start we didnt need building regs and keps saying we are replacing tiles for like - but i know that if your replacing thermal elements you need as well as that its full roof -

anyway - enough is enough - i did get an invoice saying what work would be needed but it was just sent as a message - not a proper invoice that i can use for tax but he told me i would get that later -

advice

Comment

Guy sounds like a dodgy cowboy. If you haven't given him any money yet, run away.

Comment

im getting another quote - however now the insurance company as well as mortgage are asking for more information on the works as now i happend to mention im getting the job done - nightnmare
                  The fella who did the first quote did seem ok but its stresed me out

might not even bother with the whole thing

Comment

tenant is stressed - im stressed and the fact the the insurance are asking a heap of questions doesnt seem right - does anyone else who is having work done ask their insurance if its ok ?? it like they are asking what being done and then askin g more questions each time - why dont they ask everyhting in one go !!

Comment

Originally posted by alice123 View Post
                      does anyone else who is having work done ask their insurance if its ok ??
                      2 years ago, we had a complete new roof, new facsias and soffits, and new guttering fitted for our own home. Never even thought about mentioning it to the insurance or mortgage provider. Why did you?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Self assessement questions
                        by Logical.Lean
                        I'm just doing my wife and my self assessment.

We own a property together in the a 90/10 % split.

The first question online is whether my income from property is greater than £1000.

No.

I've itemized all costs and interest etc on a spreadsheet...
                        08-08-2020, 15:44 PM
                      • Reply to Self assessement questions
                        by Logical.Lean
                        It's 3750 each, if the house is jointly owned.

I've just read the gov.uk guidance, and I'd misread it before.

right I'll ignore it....
                        09-08-2020, 08:14 AM
                      • CGT evidence
                        by PaulRs1
                        Hi All,

I’m an accidental landlord and about to sell the house. Lived in it for 4 years and rented it out for 6 (with the intention of moving back, which never happened)

im aware I need to pay CGT and can claim improvement costs, I basically bought a wreck and renovated it...
                        08-08-2020, 13:25 PM
                      • Reply to CGT evidence
                        by PaulRs1
                        “Accidental” meaning I didn’t buy the house intending on being a landlord, and on the receipts I kept them for a couple of years but for jobs like the houses being painted inside and out, landscaping plastering and the like I didn’t think of hanging onto receipts for that sort of thing, which...
                        09-08-2020, 07:48 AM
                      • EICR check and follow up work Tax deductible?
                        by Celibin
                        Just wondering if this is the case and can be claimed on self-assessment?
                        09-08-2020, 06:45 AM
                      • Reply to EICR check and follow up work Tax deductible?
                        by jpucng62
                        Absolutely. All can be set against income as it is an allowable expense.
                        09-08-2020, 07:07 AM
                      • Reply to Self assessement questions
                        by Gordon999
                        The lodger allowance is £7500 p.a and not required to report in tax return.
                        08-08-2020, 19:16 PM
                      • Reply to CGT evidence
                        by Gordon999
                        Did you really pay out £40K in cash to tradesmen who gave no receipts ?

If you just claim the costs for which you have receipts, the capital gain achieved during the rental period = 50% of the total capital gain. What does this figure come to ? .
                        08-08-2020, 19:07 PM
                      • Reply to CGT evidence
                        by Section20z
                        HMRC will require no evidence unless they decide to investigate in which case guesswork will be insufficient....
                        08-08-2020, 17:34 PM
                      • Reply to CGT evidence
                        by theartfullodger
                        Accidentally signed an AST?

No receipts so what would you do if you need to get supplier/contractor back due to bad work? Was this cash in claw?

Surely at least bank statements or credit card records of expenditure? Can you get confirmation from suppliers? They must have ...
                        08-08-2020, 17:01 PM
                      Working...
                      X