tax allowance for new tiles on roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax allowance for new tiles on roof

ok - I had a surveyor down recently who told me my BTL needs attention to guttering and new fasicas as they are in need of sorting out - had a roofer quote me but also told me the tiles needed replacing on roof as they are missing in areas and letting in water , i know this to be true as I looked at the picture when i bought the property and the tiles are missing in chunks - question - do i offset the whole of the cost for repairing the roof/tiles and new fascias /gutters ? its not a cosmetic improvement we are replacing like for like and cant get hold of slates so it has to be tiles , so we are doing a whole re tile so it will all look the same -
    also was hoping someone could shed some light on Building control and planning - im sure i need BDG control approval but how does this work

many thanks

I put down that sort of work wholly against income tax. You know it's not a good idea to replace slates with tiles, dont't you? (Will make the ceilings sag upstairs due to extra weight.)

Not sure about building regs.

Comment

Originally posted by alice123 View Post
      the tiles needed replacing on roof as they are missing in areas and letting in water , i know this to be true as I looked at the picture when i bought the property and the tiles are missing in chunks
      Surely the cost is a capital cost, as the property needed the work doing when it was bought.

Comment

thanks all yes just checked my survey and there are tiles on already not slates so we are replacing tile with tile but a different looking tile as the ones on already were in the 1950s

Comment

it was bought ten years ago - sorry didnt make myself clear ive google street mapped it and looked at the roof that way so its recent deterioration (had it been on purchase would have noticed it at survey ) was ok when i bought it - the google street map its about 5 yrs old which is what i meant so its gone over the past 8 yrs or so - i had some tiles replaced a couple years back and rofer then said a lot are missing but are leaking and builder says felt has is done in so im sure it was ok on purchse

Comment

Its a maintenance cost which is an allowable expense against the annual rental income

Comment

this has now gone from bad to worse - they said we didnt need BDGs regulations for the re tile now I am aware that we do !! on chosing tiles he said oh yes we need BDGs regulations so i have applied for it on line and was about to pay the fee - hes now messaged me to say as we are involving BDGs regulations the price will go up to 7500 form 5500 and needs a 50 percent deposit - he kept saying from the start we didnt need building regs and keps saying we are replacing tiles for like - but i know that if your replacing thermal elements you need as well as that its full roof -

anyway - enough is enough - i did get an invoice saying what work would be needed but it was just sent as a message - not a proper invoice that i can use for tax but he told me i would get that later -

advice

Comment

Guy sounds like a dodgy cowboy. If you haven't given him any money yet, run away.

Comment

im getting another quote - however now the insurance company as well as mortgage are asking for more information on the works as now i happend to mention im getting the job done - nightnmare
                  The fella who did the first quote did seem ok but its stresed me out

might not even bother with the whole thing

Comment

tenant is stressed - im stressed and the fact the the insurance are asking a heap of questions doesnt seem right - does anyone else who is having work done ask their insurance if its ok ?? it like they are asking what being done and then askin g more questions each time - why dont they ask everyhting in one go !!

Comment

Originally posted by alice123 View Post
                      does anyone else who is having work done ask their insurance if its ok ??
                      2 years ago, we had a complete new roof, new facsias and soffits, and new guttering fitted for our own home. Never even thought about mentioning it to the insurance or mortgage provider. Why did you?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Limited or not....
                        by ZIGGYVIGGY
                        Dear All

Need advise on the following
                        • Funds stuck in Limited Company waiting to be invested.
                        • Question - Will the Limited Company "that has never held a Property" be made liable for SDLT on its first purchase (I am the sole director and personally hold 1 BTL and 1 main)
                        • If
                        11-08-2020, 22:33 PM
                      • Can't work out CGT
                        by thecrazy1
                        Hello all! This is my first post and I need your help.

I have been trying to work out the tax on a property gain. Here are my calculations.
                        Inherited the house (property B) in 1997 which is opposite the house (property A) I lived in with my wife. From 1997 - 2000 i stayed in property...
                        11-08-2020, 15:51 PM
                      • Reply to Can't work out CGT
                        by Gordon999
                        What is your annual income from your job ? are you paying 20% or 40% tax on income ? .

The capital gains tax is 18% or 28% and capital gains allowance ( tax free ) is £12,500.

If you lived in property B for 8 years , you should be able to claim 8 years plus 9 months...
                        11-08-2020, 18:35 PM
                      • Reply to Can't work out CGT
                        by jpkeates
                        First of all, you only need to nominate a property if you live in more than one property at the same time.
                        Someone who works in one place and spends weekends somwhere else would normally want to do that so there's no doubt which is their main residence.

From the sound of it, you were...
                        11-08-2020, 18:06 PM
                      • Can I Rent My Private BTLs to my own Ltd Company?
                        by Crunchie
                        I own 5 buy to let HMOs in my private name with mortgages and have to pay the higher rate of income tax. My properties are my only source of income.

Can I set up a Ltd Company and rent my properties to it for a rental that is less than the higher rate tax band, say £45,000 total? The tenants...
                        09-08-2020, 20:25 PM
                      • Reply to Can I Rent My Private BTLs to my own Ltd Company?
                        by Gordon999
                        I think your mortgage lender will object to renting of your BTLs to a company.

But there is nothing to stop your company providing annual inspection and maintenance service to your flats ( 5 years external painting and internal decoration ) etc and charging a profit for the service.
                        11-08-2020, 08:30 AM
                        by theartfullodger
                        Hopefully chancellor will tighten up some of this sort of tax fiddling schemes.

Taxes need to go up to pay for covid19 & Brexit
                        10-08-2020, 09:02 AM
                      • CGT evidence
                        by PaulRs1
                        Hi All,

I’m an accidental landlord and about to sell the house. Lived in it for 4 years and rented it out for 6 (with the intention of moving back, which never happened)

im aware I need to pay CGT and can claim improvement costs, I basically bought a wreck and renovated it...
                        08-08-2020, 13:25 PM
                      • Reply to CGT evidence
                        by jpkeates
                        AndrewDod is right, the extension sounds like a capital item, but the refurbishment of the property itself probably isn't.
                        And, for all the work done while you were living there, there's no tax allowance against income....
                        10-08-2020, 08:58 AM
                        by jpkeates
                        There are two obstacles.

There's nothing specifically where HMRC says that you can't let properties to your company at below market rate, but it would probably fall foul of the general anti-abuse rule, because the arrangement exists entirely to reduce the amount of tax you pay - there is...
                        10-08-2020, 08:55 AM
                      Working...
                      X