Moving overseas - forms to submit to HMRC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving overseas - forms to submit to HMRC

I'm about to move overseas for a couple of years.

I know that I need to submit an NRL1 to allow my letting agent to continue to pay my rent to me gross. However, do I need to submit any other forms at this stage? (e.g. a form informing HMRC that I'm going overseas in the first place?)

Very grateful for any help, as ever.

I would submit your tax return for 2019-2020

Comment

Dont do as I did.
      I had a UK Accountant who I had used for 10 years. I had UK property which I rented out.
      I moved overseas and became a Resident and signed up with an Accountant in the country I was in.
      As a resident of that country I had to submit Tax Returns, Their Tax Year ran from 1 Jan - 31 Dec
      And I still had to do my UK Tax return 5 April - 5 April.
      My overseas accountant persuaded me to let him do my UK Tax Return as well as my Overseas Tax Return.
      Big Mistake.
      I should have kept my UK Accountant to do my UK Tax Return
      And have the overseas Accountant do my overseas Tax Return.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesHopeful View Post
        I know that I need to submit an NRL1 to allow my letting agent to continue to pay my rent to me gross.
        https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dividuals-nrl1 has a whole lot more which might be useful.

Bear in mind that just because you get rent paid gross doesn't mean you won't eventually end up paying tax on it. There are a whole lot of qualifications for becoming non-resident for taxation purposes.

I lived overseas for over 20 years and was non-resident for almost all of that period in various countries and landlord for virtually the whole time. If you want any advice on that, PM me.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Self assessement questions
          by Logical.Lean
          I'm just doing my wife and my self assessment.

We own a property together in the a 90/10 % split.

The first question online is whether my income from property is greater than £1000.

No.

I've itemized all costs and interest etc on a spreadsheet...
          08-08-2020, 15:44 PM
        • Reply to Self assessement questions
          by Logical.Lean
          It's 3750 each, if the house is jointly owned.

I've just read the gov.uk guidance, and I'd misread it before.

right I'll ignore it....
          09-08-2020, 08:14 AM
        • CGT evidence
          by PaulRs1
          Hi All,

I’m an accidental landlord and about to sell the house. Lived in it for 4 years and rented it out for 6 (with the intention of moving back, which never happened)

im aware I need to pay CGT and can claim improvement costs, I basically bought a wreck and renovated it...
          08-08-2020, 13:25 PM
        • Reply to CGT evidence
          by PaulRs1
          “Accidental” meaning I didn’t buy the house intending on being a landlord, and on the receipts I kept them for a couple of years but for jobs like the houses being painted inside and out, landscaping plastering and the like I didn’t think of hanging onto receipts for that sort of thing, which...
          09-08-2020, 07:48 AM
        • EICR check and follow up work Tax deductible?
          by Celibin
          Just wondering if this is the case and can be claimed on self-assessment?
          09-08-2020, 06:45 AM
        • Reply to EICR check and follow up work Tax deductible?
          by jpucng62
          Absolutely. All can be set against income as it is an allowable expense.
          09-08-2020, 07:07 AM
        • Reply to Self assessement questions
          by Gordon999
          The lodger allowance is £7500 p.a and not required to report in tax return.
          08-08-2020, 19:16 PM
        • Reply to CGT evidence
          by Gordon999
          Did you really pay out £40K in cash to tradesmen who gave no receipts ?

If you just claim the costs for which you have receipts, the capital gain achieved during the rental period = 50% of the total capital gain. What does this figure come to ? .
          08-08-2020, 19:07 PM
        • Reply to CGT evidence
          by Section20z
          HMRC will require no evidence unless they decide to investigate in which case guesswork will be insufficient....
          08-08-2020, 17:34 PM
        • Reply to CGT evidence
          by theartfullodger
          Accidentally signed an AST?

No receipts so what would you do if you need to get supplier/contractor back due to bad work? Was this cash in claw?

Surely at least bank statements or credit card records of expenditure? Can you get confirmation from suppliers? They must have ...
          08-08-2020, 17:01 PM
        Working...
        X