Can we claim back the VAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we claim back the VAT?

We are 3 Leaseholders each with a share of the freehold of our shared building. Purchase of our flats meant we also became Directors of a dormant Management Company. We need urgent maintenance/Major Works doing and wondered how and if we can claim back the VAT charged by the builder(s).

We thought we could restart the management company, set up a bank account for it, register for VAT, then run the maintenance costs through the company and reclaim the VAT. Funding for the work would come from the leaseholders via donations to the management company, rather than via service charges (although I understand these are not vatable anyway).

Advice is varied and confusing. Eg, the management company cannot register for VAT if it is not selling anything. Also in this forum I've read that the 'end-user' has to pay the VAT, even though service charges are not vatable – implying that the MC is the end-user rather than the leaseholder.

So either way, whether as leaseholders or freeholders, we cannot avoid the VAT. Is that correct?

No, the lessees pay the VAT. The MC is not the end user, they are simply the custodian of lessees' cash. Don't try to do silly things.

Comment

Your lease should require the leaseholders to pay annual service charge contribution to the management company.

To keep the non-profit making Management Company dormant which is easier for filing annual returns to Companies House, the service charge money collected from the leaseholders has to be kept separately in the management company's bank account named "Client Account".

You have to keep records of annual service charge and monies collected from the leaseholders and any arrears in payment.

This may seem unnecessary work but when you come to sell, your prospective buyer may require mortgage loan from a lender which asks to see 3 years service charge accounts.

Any maintenance costs including VAT are paid from the service charge bank account so leaseholders will pay for the VAT.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to capital gains bill when due
        by AndrewDod
        Not completely following you artful. There is a PERFECTLY GOOD online form which actually works remarkably well running you through the process. I usually criticise shambolic administration - but in this instance it was fine/good.

Press big green start button on this page
        https...
        26-09-2020, 15:37 PM
      • capital gains bill when due
        by halfax
        sold a property in august 2020, informed hmrc , anyone know when i will get thethe tax demand?...
        12-09-2020, 18:51 PM
      • Reply to capital gains bill when due
        by theartfullodger
        Had a look at a tax forum, this does seem to still be a requirement to report within 30 days but, like so much of Cummings' wonderful administration simply doesn't work & has no IT or paper form operational. Do hope someone can prove me wrong... see
        https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/......
        26-09-2020, 15:20 PM
      • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
        by divadee
        Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
        07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
      • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
        by flyingfreehold
        it applies where someone could exercise their right to compulsorily acquire. we have only claimed the extra statutory concession where an extension is granted strictly clause 56 of the act but it may be allowable on a non statutory extension at a nominal ground rent....
        25-09-2020, 20:24 PM
        by Gordon999
        You should look at the last set of company's accounts and check if the money to pay for purchase of the freehold is shown money as "borrowed from Director" . The situation may well be the company has made a loss £9K- £10K .and the funds held by the company can be paid back to Director to...
        25-09-2020, 13:23 PM
      • Reply to council tax liability
        by dexterpierson
        That is brilliant.
        Thank you so much
        25-09-2020, 11:21 AM
      • council tax liability
        by dexterpierson
        I had a tenant who moved out of my property without giving any notice and posted the keys through the estate agent's letterbox.
        I notified the council of this and the date the keys were returned and resumed liability for the council tax while the property is empty.
        The council got back in...
        14-09-2019, 10:11 AM
        by Section20z
        Does that only apply where they "could have" and did, or also if the non statutory option is followed ?...
        25-09-2020, 08:14 AM
        by theta
        My understanding (with the caveat that I'm not an accountant) is that the proceeds are not income but partial disposal, therefore return of capital plus gains. Within a company there's no difference between CGT and income tax, but it does mean that you offset the original acquisition cost....
        25-09-2020, 07:06 AM
      Working...
      X