Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon999
    replied
    Your lease should require the leaseholders to pay annual service charge contribution to the management company.

To keep the non-profit making Management Company dormant which is easier for filing annual returns to Companies House, the service charge money collected from the leaseholders has to be kept separately in the management company's bank account named "Client Account".

You have to keep records of annual service charge and monies collected from the leaseholders and any arrears in payment.

This may seem unnecessary work but when you come to sell, your prospective buyer may require mortgage loan from a lender which asks to see 3 years service charge accounts.

Any maintenance costs including VAT are paid from the service charge bank account so leaseholders will pay for the VAT.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    No, the lessees pay the VAT. The MC is not the end user, they are simply the custodian of lessees' cash. Don't try to do silly things.

Leave a comment:

• 529 Charlie
    started a topic Can we claim back the VAT?

Can we claim back the VAT?

We are 3 Leaseholders each with a share of the freehold of our shared building. Purchase of our flats meant we also became Directors of a dormant Management Company. We need urgent maintenance/Major Works doing and wondered how and if we can claim back the VAT charged by the builder(s).

We thought we could restart the management company, set up a bank account for it, register for VAT, then run the maintenance costs through the company and reclaim the VAT. Funding for the work would come from the leaseholders via donations to the management company, rather than via service charges (although I understand these are not vatable anyway).

Advice is varied and confusing. Eg, the management company cannot register for VAT if it is not selling anything. Also in this forum I've read that the 'end-user' has to pay the VAT, even though service charges are not vatable – implying that the MC is the end-user rather than the leaseholder.

So either way, whether as leaseholders or freeholders, we cannot avoid the VAT. Is that correct?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• council tax liability
    by dexterpierson
    I had a tenant who moved out of my property without giving any notice and posted the keys through the estate agent's letterbox.
    I notified the council of this and the date the keys were returned and resumed liability for the council tax while the property is empty.
    The council got back in...
    14-09-2019, 10:11 AM
  • Reply to council tax liability
    by jpkeates
    If the tenancy was periodic, you are liable for the council tax unless you can prove that the tenant was lying and was still living there.
    So I don't think you will find such a case.
    24-09-2020, 15:35 PM
  • Tax relief for property even if vacant between lets?
    by help required!
    i think i read somewhere that you can claim 'tax' relief for a property that you are 'renting out' when it is vacant??
    i.e. you are paying loan interest, rates etc. and property is vacant?
    completing tax return now and can't find a reference to same anywhere?
    did i imagine this...
    25-01-2010, 21:55 PM
  • Reply to Tax relief for property even if vacant between lets?
    by gnvqsos
    |n Sheffield empty houses attract full council tax-you can claim for this obviously as a cost.
    24-09-2020, 15:02 PM
  • Rumours of CGT moving to marginal income tax rate - would it be immediate?
    by JamesHopeful
    There have been rumours in the press that the Chancellor is considering taxing capital gains at marginal income tax rate, and that this may be announced at the November budget. Does anyone have any idea whether this change be likely to be immediate (like changes to SDLT often are) or would it be from...
    23-09-2020, 14:10 PM
  • Reply to Rumours of CGT moving to marginal income tax rate - would it be immediate?
    by gnvqsos
    |f the properties are held by a company,then gains may be realsed through adjusting share prices.Gains on shares are taxed more leniently,and there will be many opting to form limited companies.A smart accountant can circumvent many tax hikes....
    24-09-2020, 14:59 PM
    by dexterpierson
    Thanks,
    I've sent all of the documents, including a copy of the agreement, to the council and I have to attend a hearing on the 30th.
    They have sent me a copy of Gill v Fenland District Council 2018 which they intend to use.
    I cannot find any recent caselaw which supports my claim....
    24-09-2020, 13:44 PM
    by jpkeates
    If the fixed term is six months or more, yes.
    A copy of the tenancy agreement should be enough to persuade the council....
    24-09-2020, 13:16 PM
    by dexterpierson
    Thank you,
    Is it different if its a fixed term tenancy?...
    24-09-2020, 13:01 PM
  • Reply to Tax advice from property118
    by jpkeates
    Property118 claims to have a process that allows property to be moved from a private landlord to a limited company structure without paying CGT.
    It has not been successfully challenged by HMRC to date.

Your solicitor is probably right to be concerned, but I don't see how he could...
    24-09-2020, 09:16 AM
Working...
X