Can we claim back the VAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we claim back the VAT?

We are 3 Leaseholders each with a share of the freehold of our shared building. Purchase of our flats meant we also became Directors of a dormant Management Company. We need urgent maintenance/Major Works doing and wondered how and if we can claim back the VAT charged by the builder(s).

We thought we could restart the management company, set up a bank account for it, register for VAT, then run the maintenance costs through the company and reclaim the VAT. Funding for the work would come from the leaseholders via donations to the management company, rather than via service charges (although I understand these are not vatable anyway).

Advice is varied and confusing. Eg, the management company cannot register for VAT if it is not selling anything. Also in this forum I've read that the 'end-user' has to pay the VAT, even though service charges are not vatable – implying that the MC is the end-user rather than the leaseholder.

So either way, whether as leaseholders or freeholders, we cannot avoid the VAT. Is that correct?

No, the lessees pay the VAT. The MC is not the end user, they are simply the custodian of lessees' cash. Don't try to do silly things.

Comment

Your lease should require the leaseholders to pay annual service charge contribution to the management company.

To keep the non-profit making Management Company dormant which is easier for filing annual returns to Companies House, the service charge money collected from the leaseholders has to be kept separately in the management company's bank account named "Client Account".

You have to keep records of annual service charge and monies collected from the leaseholders and any arrears in payment.

This may seem unnecessary work but when you come to sell, your prospective buyer may require mortgage loan from a lender which asks to see 3 years service charge accounts.

Any maintenance costs including VAT are paid from the service charge bank account so leaseholders will pay for the VAT.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Selling two rental properties;CGT implications
        by gnvqsos
        I have recently received notice from two tenants,on two different houses,valued at 160 and 190k respectively.Both are held in joint names.As both soon vacant and both have incresed in value from 102 and 89k since 2013,due to substantial works.I appreciate that our joint CGT allowance of £24k will mean...
        12-08-2020, 04:52 AM
      • Reply to Selling two rental properties;CGT implications
        by gnvqsos
        Thanks to all.It would seem that the benefit of postponing a sale until new tax year is £4428-£6888,and at a value of £200.000 means a small saving of 2.2-3.4 per cent.A slight dip in house prices could eliminate that in no time-a point well made.Both houses have probably gained £40,000 and £100,000...
        12-08-2020, 18:35 PM
      • Deduction of expenses when BTL empty & for sale?
        by NikM
        Hi - I've been renting out 4 properties for a few years. When one of them became empty, I put it up for sale and have not sought a tenant since. Am I still OK to deduct the usual expenses for this property against profits from the other 3 BTLs?

The sale has taken 18 months, so there's...
        12-08-2020, 14:02 PM
      • Reply to Deduction of expenses when BTL empty & for sale?
        by Gordon999
        I think you owe jpk, a sunday lunch.
        12-08-2020, 17:23 PM
        by jpucng62
        Selling in 2 tax years gives you double allowances but given that we are in a bit of a bubble at the moment you need to balance the CHT saving (28% or 18% of £12300) against the value / saleability now - in Stamp Duty Holiday period - and next year - when it may be quieter.

Don't be over...
        12-08-2020, 17:07 PM
        by NikM
        Great, thanks ... I now owe you more than a fiver
        12-08-2020, 15:02 PM
        by jpkeates
        No need to hope, it is the case!
        The expense has to be wholly and exclusively for the business and these costs are.

Unless you hold them in separate limited companies, there's only one business with all of the properties in it.
        12-08-2020, 14:44 PM
        by NikM
        Thanks - obvioulsy I hope that's the case, but struggling to 'prove' it to myself confidently enough to put it in the tax return! I didn't claim in the 2018/19 return as it was only a couple of months so small numbers & decided to err on the side of caution ... wasn't expecting it to take 18 months...
        12-08-2020, 14:18 PM
        by jpkeates
        Unless you do anything else with it, the house simply remains part of your rental business until it's sold.
        The property was brought into the business when first let and all expenses that were allowable when it was being let are still allowable now.
        12-08-2020, 14:09 PM
        by jpkeates
        You can reduce the tax by selling the properties in different tax years, so you have two allowances per property.
        The risk is that something terrible happens to the market before next April.
        12-08-2020, 09:44 AM
      Working...
      X