Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit

Good afternoon all,

I've been getting to grips with the changes to landlord's tax relief over the last few years. One thing that worries me considerably is that since all rental income is now taxed, and I must pay my loan interest and repayments out of this also, that really doesn't leave much left.

I see that there is a tax credit for 20% for landlords to replace the old relief. I've had a google and I can't seem to find out how one accesses/ applies for this credit. Can someone shed some light on how I might get this?

Thanks very much,

Cadence

Previously loan interest was an allowable expense which could be deducted from the rental income.

Now it is no longer an allowable expense so your rental surplus will be higher and you pay will have higher tax. bill.

However you are allowed to claim 20% of the loan interest towards reducing your higher tax bill.

Comment

The only people negatively affected by the change in how the interest can be claimed are higher rate tax payers and standard rate tax payers who were close to the higher rate threshold.

For most landlords, the change is simply in how the tax is calculated, the outcome is the same.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The 20% credit is automatically applied, you would have been getting it for the last 3 years!

Comment

Originally posted by cadence248 View Post
          I see that there is a tax credit for 20% for landlords to replace the old relief. I've had a google and I can't seem to find out how one accesses/ applies for this credit. Can someone shed some light on how I might get this?
          When you complete your tax return, you no longer deduct the interest (and any other finance related costs, e.g. a setup fee) you have paid as an allowable expense.
          You calculate the tax you would pay without that deduction (i.e. income less other expenses at the appropriate rate(s))
          Then you deduct 20% of the finance costs from the tax figure you've calculated.

There were transitional arrangements in place until the end of the last tax year, so for a 2019/20 tax return 25% of the finance costs can be deducted from income and 75% of these costs are subject to the 20% deduction.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you very much everyone for explaining the mechanics of this to me. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tax relief for property even if vacant between lets?
              by help required!
              i think i read somewhere that you can claim 'tax' relief for a property that you are 'renting out' when it is vacant??
              i.e. you are paying loan interest, rates etc. and property is vacant?
              completing tax return now and can't find a reference to same anywhere?
              did i imagine this...
              25-01-2010, 21:55 PM
            • Reply to Tax relief for property even if vacant between lets?
              by gnvqsos
              |n Sheffield empty houses attract full council tax-you can claim for this obviously as a cost.
              24-09-2020, 15:02 PM
            • Reply to Rumours of CGT moving to marginal income tax rate - would it be immediate?
              by gnvqsos
              |f the properties are held by a company,then gains may be realsed through adjusting share prices.Gains on shares are taxed more leniently,and there will be many opting to form limited companies.A smart accountant can circumvent many tax hikes....
              24-09-2020, 14:59 PM
            • Rumours of CGT moving to marginal income tax rate - would it be immediate?
              by JamesHopeful
              There have been rumours in the press that the Chancellor is considering taxing capital gains at marginal income tax rate, and that this may be announced at the November budget. Does anyone have any idea whether this change be likely to be immediate (like changes to SDLT often are) or would it be from...
              23-09-2020, 14:10 PM
            • Reply to council tax liability
              by dexterpierson
              Thanks,
              I've sent all of the documents, including a copy of the agreement, to the council and I have to attend a hearing on the 30th.
              They have sent me a copy of Gill v Fenland District Council 2018 which they intend to use.
              I cannot find any recent caselaw which supports my claim....
              24-09-2020, 13:44 PM
            • council tax liability
              by dexterpierson
              I had a tenant who moved out of my property without giving any notice and posted the keys through the estate agent's letterbox.
              I notified the council of this and the date the keys were returned and resumed liability for the council tax while the property is empty.
              The council got back in...
              14-09-2019, 10:11 AM
              by jpkeates
              If the fixed term is six months or more, yes.
              A copy of the tenancy agreement should be enough to persuade the council....
              24-09-2020, 13:16 PM
              by dexterpierson
              Thank you,
              Is it different if its a fixed term tenancy?...
              24-09-2020, 13:01 PM
            • Reply to Tax advice from property118
              by jpkeates
              Property118 claims to have a process that allows property to be moved from a private landlord to a limited company structure without paying CGT.
              It has not been successfully challenged by HMRC to date.

Your solicitor is probably right to be concerned, but I don't see how he could...
              24-09-2020, 09:16 AM
            • Tax advice from property118
              by jackboy
              Has anybody used Property118 for tax advice on incorporation? They had an initial consultation fixed fee of £400 and give advice which is signed off by a barrister. They claim to be experts in incorporation of property portfolios. I’m pushing ahead with an incorporation and my solicitor wants to...
              23-09-2020, 13:25 PM
            Working...
            X