Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit

Good afternoon all,

I've been getting to grips with the changes to landlord's tax relief over the last few years. One thing that worries me considerably is that since all rental income is now taxed, and I must pay my loan interest and repayments out of this also, that really doesn't leave much left.

I see that there is a tax credit for 20% for landlords to replace the old relief. I've had a google and I can't seem to find out how one accesses/ applies for this credit. Can someone shed some light on how I might get this?

Thanks very much,

Cadence

Previously loan interest was an allowable expense which could be deducted from the rental income.

Now it is no longer an allowable expense so your rental surplus will be higher and you pay will have higher tax. bill.

However you are allowed to claim 20% of the loan interest towards reducing your higher tax bill.

Comment

The only people negatively affected by the change in how the interest can be claimed are higher rate tax payers and standard rate tax payers who were close to the higher rate threshold.

For most landlords, the change is simply in how the tax is calculated, the outcome is the same.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The 20% credit is automatically applied, you would have been getting it for the last 3 years!

Comment

Originally posted by cadence248 View Post
          I see that there is a tax credit for 20% for landlords to replace the old relief. I've had a google and I can't seem to find out how one accesses/ applies for this credit. Can someone shed some light on how I might get this?
          When you complete your tax return, you no longer deduct the interest (and any other finance related costs, e.g. a setup fee) you have paid as an allowable expense.
          You calculate the tax you would pay without that deduction (i.e. income less other expenses at the appropriate rate(s))
          Then you deduct 20% of the finance costs from the tax figure you've calculated.

There were transitional arrangements in place until the end of the last tax year, so for a 2019/20 tax return 25% of the finance costs can be deducted from income and 75% of these costs are subject to the 20% deduction.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you very much everyone for explaining the mechanics of this to me. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• EICR check and follow up work Tax deductible?
              by Celibin
              Just wondering if this is the case and can be claimed on self-assessment?
              09-08-2020, 06:45 AM
            • Reply to EICR check and follow up work Tax deductible?
              by AndrewDod
              Yes of course it is....
              09-08-2020, 23:39 PM
            • CGT evidence
              by PaulRs1
              Hi All,

I’m an accidental landlord and about to sell the house. Lived in it for 4 years and rented it out for 6 (with the intention of moving back, which never happened)

im aware I need to pay CGT and can claim improvement costs, I basically bought a wreck and renovated it...
              08-08-2020, 13:25 PM
            • Reply to CGT evidence
              by AndrewDod
              Most of those things are not capital expenses anyway. Your probably already claimed then as expenses against rental income. Painting a place which you then live in certainly is not a capital expense, not an improvement (in CGT terms). Building a wall where there was not one before is an example of an...
              09-08-2020, 23:25 PM
            • Can I Rent My Private BTLs to my own Ltd Company?
              by Crunchie
              I own 5 buy to let HMOs in my private name with mortgages and have to pay the higher rate of income tax. My properties are my only source of income.

Can I set up a Ltd Company and rent my properties to it for a rental that is less than the higher rate tax band, say £45,000 total? The tenants...
              09-08-2020, 20:25 PM
            • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
              by divadee
              Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
              07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
            • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
              by divadee
              We paid 18,000 for the freehold and had legal costs of approx 2k for the purchase. This was 4 years ago though. Can we still offset purchase price over income 4 years later?...
              09-08-2020, 20:20 PM
            • Reply to First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
              by Advice seeker
              Thanks JP, good to know.

Does it make a difference I have never actually lived there?

In a nutshell, was family home, to keep certain over sentimental family members happy, it wasn't touched for ten years, literally, until the council threatened a forced purchased. Even when...
              09-08-2020, 15:46 PM
            • First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
              by Advice seeker
              Hi all

This might be a simple one, or not.

Can someone please advise if this seems correct?

For 2019-2020 I have the following on the HMRC form:

£9715 income
              £2558 total allowable expenses

Profit £7517

I believe mortgage...
              15-07-2020, 20:04 PM
            • Reply to CGT evidence
              by Gordon999
              Since you live in the house for 4 years plus you can claim 9 months after moving out as your main residence period = roughly 5 years .

You will have to pay cgt for last 5 years whilst under rental . I suggest you pay for a "high valuation" for your property in Aug 2015...
              09-08-2020, 11:40 AM
            Working...
            X