Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT after selling my main residence

Hi there
    First of all thanks in advance for your reply. I would really appreciate if you can calify some of my confusion.

I have few queries regarding selling my main residence which would impact on how much CGT I would pay...

1. I am buying a new house to live so how much time do I have to sell my current house before CGT trigger? (buffer between selling current and buying a new to avoid CGT as I heard the new rule of 9 months)
    2. If I buy my new house first, can I put on rent my current house during the period of selling process? (bcoz it may take long to sell and house might be empty)
    3. Will this renting idea would impact on CGT?
    4. I have a residential mortgage on my current house, so if I put it on rent, do I need to transfer to BTL mortgage during that period? My worry is it would be too much hassle for BTL and may not be worth it.

Any advice on my questions would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

If you have lived in your main residence since you bought it, there's no CGT on the sale.

If you let it out, CGT would be applicable on the period it was let less 9 months (so if you let it for less than 9 months before selling it, there would be no CGT to pay.

You will need a BTL mortgage or consent to let from your residential mortgage lender.

As you can't guarantee that the tenant will move out at a convenient time for your sale and the property will be more difficult to sell with a tenant in it, it's not the best idea.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      If you have lived in your main residence since you bought it, there's no CGT on the sale.

If you let it out, CGT would be applicable on the period it was let
      It doesn't have to be let out.

If OP lives in house for 5 years, then finds another primary residence (declared as such, or based on the facts) and then sells original house 2 years later, CGT would be payable on 2/7ths of the gain.

If the OP had owned and lived in the house for two months and then sold it 9 months later CGT might well be payable.

In general it doesn't matter because any CGT is usually washed out by the period of residency. I can't imagine that HMRC will be seriously exercised by a period during which a sale was actually in progress, but it would depend on the duration and the gain.

Comment

Thank you for the responses. I have lived there since I bought (more than 5 years) and wants to move to a bigger house. This clears some of my confusion. I thought the property will be empty so why not short term let. But its better not to let while I am selling it. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Echoes View Post
          I am buying a new house to live so how much time do I have to sell my current house before CGT trigger? (buffer between selling current and buying a new to avoid CGT as I heard the new rule of 9 months)
          Perhaps the confusion here may be with additional rate SDLT? Buying a new home while still owning previous is an issue in that you will be liable for additional 3% SDLT. However, you can request a refund of this when you sell your previous home, as long as sale occurs within the permitted time - which I believe is three years.
          There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Originally posted by doobrey View Post

Perhaps the confusion here may be with additional rate SDLT? Buying a new home while still owning previous is an issue in that you will be liable for additional 3% SDLT. However, you can request a refund of this when you sell your previous home, as long as sale occurs within the permitted time - which I believe is three years.
            I thought it was 12 months.

Comment

I had thought it was something like that as well, until I looked it up.

https://www.gov.uk/stamp-duty-land-t...property-rates
              There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Dont forget to have the place you have lived in valued on the day you move out by 2 estate agents as you need a valuation when it changed from being your main residence to be able to work out your CGT when you eventually sell it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Loan
                  by Gordon999
                  Owning the B2Let property outright means all of the rental profit is taxed at 28% or 40%.

When you raise a loan on the B2Let, the loan interest is not an allowable expense against the rental income. But 20% of the loan annual interest corresponding to the market value of the property...
                  28-09-2020, 15:55 PM
                • Loan
                  by jase222
                  Hi, before I speak to my accountant I was hoping if I could have a rough ideal, tax wise of the following.
                  My mother in law has seen a bungalow but the sale of her current house has fallen through, I was thinking about rising a 160k mortgage against a 250k b2let I own outright and lending her...
                  27-09-2020, 21:28 PM
                • Reply to Loan
                  by Section20z
                  Great idea, we did similar for my parents. Remember she will have to pay the added 3% stamp duty, reclaimable when you sell the first house within set time limit....
                  28-09-2020, 07:57 AM
                • Reply to Loan
                  by jase222
                  I thought that, I was thinking more along the lines of gifting etc I know I won't make a penny. I just don't want to get stuff for something....
                  28-09-2020, 07:18 AM
                • Reply to Loan
                  by Mrs Mug
                  As you would not be using the money raised for your rental business, you could not claim any of the costs or interest payments against your tax bill....
                  28-09-2020, 06:39 AM
                • Reply to capital gains bill when due
                  by AndrewDod
                  Not completely following you artful. There is a PERFECTLY GOOD online form which actually works remarkably well running you through the process. I usually criticise shambolic administration - but in this instance it was fine/good.

Press big green start button on this page
                  https...
                  26-09-2020, 15:37 PM
                • capital gains bill when due
                  by halfax
                  sold a property in august 2020, informed hmrc , anyone know when i will get thethe tax demand?...
                  12-09-2020, 18:51 PM
                • Reply to capital gains bill when due
                  by theartfullodger
                  Had a look at a tax forum, this does seem to still be a requirement to report within 30 days but, like so much of Cummings' wonderful administration simply doesn't work & has no IT or paper form operational. Do hope someone can prove me wrong... see
                  https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/......
                  26-09-2020, 15:20 PM
                • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                  by divadee
                  Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
                  07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
                • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                  by flyingfreehold
                  it applies where someone could exercise their right to compulsorily acquire. we have only claimed the extra statutory concession where an extension is granted strictly clause 56 of the act but it may be allowable on a non statutory extension at a nominal ground rent....
                  25-09-2020, 20:24 PM
                Working...
                X