Stamp Duty on Freehold House subject to long leases; merge title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp Duty on Freehold House subject to long leases; merge title?

Am interested in buying freehold house which is divided into 2 flats, both let out on AST. G
    round floor flat is held under the terms of a Lease dated the 11 November 1987 granted for the term of 999 years from the 1st February 1987 and the first floor flat is held under the terms of a Lease dated the 14th May 1988 granted for the term of 999 years from the 1st February 1987. Two years ago the seller bought the freehold title but said there were issues around stamp duty when he bought. I think his wife already owned one of the flats. He will not go into details but said he was able to reclaim back additional tax paid from HMRC. I can only assume he had to pay SDLT on leasehold interests as well as the freehold which he bought for £2,000.00.
    I realise that the leasehold interests can be merged into freehold title as they are in same ownership. I only want to use the property as long term investment property to generate income.

Does anyone know the SDLT position if I buy the freehold for £190,000.00? Do I have to pay stamp duty on existing leases too?

What are land registry fees payable if I merge leasehold titles or I can ask current seller to do this before I buy?

Is it advisable to retain leases in case I want to sell off the individual flats in the future?

Any advice would be appreciated

Should Nelson Mandela's statute remain?
    0%
    Should death penalty's reintroduction be subject to public referendum?
    0%

Flats must remain under leasehold title or the next buyer will have difficulty finding a mortgage.

sdlt is payable on residential property transfers for £190k property , it is 2% on the amount above £125K. i.e 2% of £65K.= £1300.

If you already have a property registered in your name, then extra 3% will be added = 3% of £190K = £5,700 total = £7000.

The 3% extra charge is added if the sale price is £40K or over.

Comment

1. And seller will have to pay CGT on £198,000 - I doubt he'll like that.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can I Rent My Private BTLs to my own Ltd Company?
        by Crunchie
        I own 5 buy to let HMOs in my private name with mortgages and have to pay the higher rate of income tax. My properties are my only source of income.

Can I set up a Ltd Company and rent my properties to it for a rental that is less than the higher rate tax band, say £45,000 total? The tenants...
        09-08-2020, 20:25 PM
      • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
        by divadee
        We paid 18,000 for the freehold and had legal costs of approx 2k for the purchase. This was 4 years ago though. Can we still offset purchase price over income 4 years later?...
        09-08-2020, 20:20 PM
      • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
        by divadee
        Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
        07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
      • Reply to First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
        by Advice seeker
        Thanks JP, good to know.

Does it make a difference I have never actually lived there?

In a nutshell, was family home, to keep certain over sentimental family members happy, it wasn't touched for ten years, literally, until the council threatened a forced purchased. Even when...
        09-08-2020, 15:46 PM
      • First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
        by Advice seeker
        Hi all

This might be a simple one, or not.

Can someone please advise if this seems correct?

For 2019-2020 I have the following on the HMRC form:

£9715 income
        £2558 total allowable expenses

Profit £7517

I believe mortgage...
        15-07-2020, 20:04 PM
      • CGT evidence
        by PaulRs1
        Hi All,

I’m an accidental landlord and about to sell the house. Lived in it for 4 years and rented it out for 6 (with the intention of moving back, which never happened)

im aware I need to pay CGT and can claim improvement costs, I basically bought a wreck and renovated it...
        08-08-2020, 13:25 PM
      • Reply to CGT evidence
        by Gordon999
        Since you live in the house for 4 years plus you can claim 9 months after moving out as your main residence period = roughly 5 years .

You will have to pay cgt for last 5 years whilst under rental . I suggest you pay for a "high valuation" for your property in Aug 2015...
        09-08-2020, 11:40 AM
      • Reply to First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
        by jpkeates
        You sound to have about £300,000 in gain, spread over 21 years, with 11 of them in a business.
        You can feed the values into any CGT calculator around, but the CGT is likely to be £40-44k.

The longer it stays in the business, the lower the proportion of CGT will be (but the gain...
        09-08-2020, 09:46 AM
      • Self assessement questions
        by Logical.Lean
        I'm just doing my wife and my self assessment.

We own a property together in the a 90/10 % split.

The first question online is whether my income from property is greater than £1000.

No.

I've itemized all costs and interest etc on a spreadsheet...
        08-08-2020, 15:44 PM
      • Reply to Self assessement questions
        by Logical.Lean
        It's 3750 each, if the house is jointly owned.

I've just read the gov.uk guidance, and I'd misread it before.

right I'll ignore it....
        09-08-2020, 08:14 AM
      Working...
      X