Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Back Into Let House

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone can provide me with advice.

I used to live in my own house. I moved for work a few years ago and let my house (with consent to let).

I'm planning to move back into my house which is currently still let. I've given the tenant three months notice (due to arranging work transfer / notice on the place I currently rent / sorting out the house once tenants move out etc.).

My question is, if I need to replace things like the carpet, curtains etc., can I claim the costs of replacing them? As end of tenancy costs maybe?

Thanks in advance

LT

The wear and tear allowance has been removed so you could expense the actual costs of the items as an expense, on a like for like basis, only if you are then renting it out, if it is returning back to a residential property then you couldn't.

Comment

No you can't do that. If the tenant actually broke stuff and you sort it before the tenancy ends, then maybe. At the start of putting a property out to rent you can make tax related expense claims - you can't have a double bite, fixing it for yourself at the other end.

Comment

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to tax allowance for new tiles on roof
          by Mrs Mug
          Surely the cost is a capital cost, as the property needed the work doing when it was bought....
          08-07-2020, 06:51 AM
        • tax allowance for new tiles on roof
          by alice123
          ok - I had a surveyor down recently who told me my BTL needs attention to guttering and new fasicas as they are in need of sorting out - had a roofer quote me but also told me the tiles needed replacing on roof as they are missing in areas and letting in water , i know this to be true as I looked at...
          07-07-2020, 23:19 PM
        • Reply to tax allowance for new tiles on roof
          by JK0
          I put down that sort of work wholly against income tax. You know it's not a good idea to replace slates with tiles, dont't you? (Will make the ceilings sag upstairs due to extra weight.)

Not sure about building regs.
          08-07-2020, 06:48 AM
        • Reply to Stamp duty / Tennents in common
          by jpkeates
          1 - Yes, but it's a sale.
          2 - Yes, they'll pay SDLT at the market value (well 99%) with the surcharged VAT.

I don't really see the point of the arrangement.

At the end of the transactions, you've spent £150,000, gifted £148,500 of property to your father and could now...
          07-07-2020, 10:50 AM
        • Stamp duty / Tennents in common
          by Jk2020
          Hi,

I'm a first time buyer currently living with parents and looking for a buy to let, for example house worth 150K (in cash)

I understand i dont need to pay stamp duty (first time buyer)

I would then like to be tennants in common with my dad, and split it (Dad...
          07-07-2020, 09:42 AM
        • Reply to Moving overseas - forms to submit to HMRC
          by Gordon999
          I would submit your tax return for 2019-2020
          05-07-2020, 19:54 PM
        • Moving overseas - forms to submit to HMRC
          by JamesHopeful
          I'm about to move overseas for a couple of years.

I know that I need to submit an NRL1 to allow my letting agent to continue to pay my rent to me gross. However, do I need to submit any other forms at this stage? (e.g. a form informing HMRC that I'm going overseas in the first place?)...
          05-07-2020, 15:43 PM
        • Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit
          by cadence248
          Good afternoon all,

I've been getting to grips with the changes to landlord's tax relief over the last few years. One thing that worries me considerably is that since all rental income is now taxed, and I must pay my loan interest and repayments out of this also, that really doesn't leave...
          02-07-2020, 15:11 PM
        • Reply to Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit
          by jpkeates
          When you complete your tax return, you no longer deduct the interest (and any other finance related costs, e.g. a setup fee) you have paid as an allowable expense.
          You calculate the tax you would pay without that deduction (i.e. income less other expenses at the appropriate rate(s))
          Then...
          04-07-2020, 12:40 PM
        • Reply to Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit
          by Kape65
          The 20% credit is automatically applied, you would have been getting it for the last 3 years!
          04-07-2020, 10:19 AM
        Working...
        X