Interest expense on tax return - how to obtain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leasee123 View Post
    Thanks so much jpkeates for clearing that up. Just so I completely understand - say I left the property instead one day prior to the start of the let - i.e. 31st May, would I report the interest paid on the mortgage on 15th May or does it instead start from 15th June? I am pretty sure it is the former but just want to double check.

Thanks for the above post #11 also; will keep that in mind when filling in the return. As a 20% taxpayer overall it would not make a difference to the amount of tax I will pay but good to know how to do fill it out properly.
    jpkeates - just wanted to clarify the above?

thanks

Comment

So I have received the "certificate of loan interest paid" from my lender. It just appears to state the amount of interest I paid for the 19/20 tax year with no breakdown by month.

The current let is the first and only let I have had which started on 1st June 2019. I had previously lived at the property until I moved out on 30th April. My mortgage payments are taken on the 15th of every month (interest + capital). What interest do I need to include in the self assessment?

Do I:

a) put the interest paid for the whole year as stated in the certificate
      b) put the whole interest as a) minus the interest paid for the month of April
      c) something else?

I have no other statements apart from a annual mortgage statement for calender year 2019 which lists all the payments made for the year but no breakdown between interest and capital repayment.

Thanks

Comment

The amount of interest that you pay reduces slightly each month, as the mortgage is repaid (ever so slowly!), so if you just apportion the interest over the period after 30th April you'll be slightly overstating the interest (although the difference is probably minuscule.

I'd probably say use 11/12ths of the interest for the tax calculation - but I am extremely cautious with this kind of thing (and its not my money!)
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks jpkeates, will use 11/12ths interest as it should be conservative as you mention.

Comment

I agree with 11/12ths interest figure for finance costs because the tax year starts on 6 April. .

If you are completing a SA200 -2020 ( short tax return form) :

( a) box 6.2 is for "expenses allowable for tax" . You can include the property maintenance expenses plus 25% of the loan interest

(b) box 6.6 is for "finance costs not included in box 6.2" , you enter 75% of loan interest.

Comment

Thanks Gordon999 - that is very helpful to know.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Capital gains tax changes afoot?
                by Bobthebiker
                So it seem the chancellor has ordered a review of capital gains tax, payIng special attention to the reliefs and allowances To see if it’s fit for purpose, the Covid clawback starts here maybe.
                14-07-2020, 21:05 PM
              • Reply to Capital gains tax changes afoot?
                by theartfullodger
                Yes, the location of the Tory magic money tree is finally known!

Those with savings, securities and property.

No doubt they'll all continue voting for Bozo
                15-07-2020, 06:33 AM
              • CGT & Gifting
                by Kape65
                If I were to gift unencumbered properties to my adult children what would be their baseline for calculating CGT? Would it be zero (the price they paid) or would it be the price I paid or would it be based on market value when gifted? Or none of the above?
                13-07-2020, 15:12 PM
              • Reply to CGT & Gifting
                by gnvqsos
                I think you can reduce liability for CGT by deducting the costs of renovations,and costs associated with purchase eg survey fees,conveyancing fees etc.It may be possible to deduct legal fees resulting from the gift made...
                14-07-2020, 16:35 PM
              • Reply to CGT & Gifting
                by Kape65
                Thanks for the replies, all clear now.
                14-07-2020, 11:24 AM
              • Reply to CGT & Gifting
                by Gordon999
                The Donor has liability for cgt after making the gift. The capital gain is calculated by the market value at July 2020 less price paid.

The Donee has liability for cgt after selling the gift . The capital gain is calculated from the sale proceeds less the market value at July 2020 .
                14-07-2020, 07:02 AM
              • Reply to CGT & Gifting
                by AndrewDod
                Don't forget you need to declare the gift and pay the relevant tax within 30 days. So you need to supply that information now....
                14-07-2020, 00:14 AM
              • Reply to Moving overseas - forms to submit to HMRC
                by tatemono
                https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dividuals-nrl1 has a whole lot more which might be useful.

Bear in mind that just because you get rent paid gross doesn't mean you won't eventually end up...
                13-07-2020, 20:57 PM
              • Moving overseas - forms to submit to HMRC
                by JamesHopeful
                I'm about to move overseas for a couple of years.

I know that I need to submit an NRL1 to allow my letting agent to continue to pay my rent to me gross. However, do I need to submit any other forms at this stage? (e.g. a form informing HMRC that I'm going overseas in the first place?)...
                05-07-2020, 15:43 PM
              • Reply to tax allowance for new tiles on roof
                by Mrs Mug
                2 years ago, we had a complete new roof, new facsias and soffits, and new guttering fitted for our own home. Never even thought about mentioning it to the insurance or mortgage provider. Why did you?...
                13-07-2020, 17:17 PM
              Working...
              X