Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying Tax and Documentation

My query is in two parts

1. I own a property in my personal name. I purchased this to give a family member some passive income.

Am i right in saying that as the rent does not come to me, i do not need to notify hmrc of additional rental income? And i do not need to fill in a tax return?

2. After the above purchase, I purchased another property via a limited company (set up last year)

Following a refurb, I only started renting it out a few weeks ago

However, I am confused on how i will pay tax (eg on rental income)

Do i need to notify anyone? Which forms do i need to fill out and when?

The Director of the Ltd Company has to file annual returns to Companies House and to HMRC..

Visit Companies House website, use your company number to find company listing and check due date for filing tax returns . Can be fined if you fail to comply.

Comment

If you receive no income from the property you own, you don't have to pay income tax on it, no.
      You may have to pay CGT when you sell it, if there is any significant increase in value.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        If you receive no income from the property you own, you don't have to pay income tax on it, no.
        You may have to pay CGT when you sell it, if there is any significant increase in value.
        I don't think you can just divert the income through another family member's account, that could be tax evasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

I don't think you can just divert the income through another family member's account, that could be tax evasion.
          Agree with that. If they were a co-owner OP could agree to split the rent and expenses in some way. But not otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
            It could be, it depends where the money ends up.
            Tax follows beneficial ownership, so if the relative is the landlord and receives all the rent and keeps it, the owner of the property isn't involved in the income.

If the income received benefits the owner financially in some way, it is indirect income, which is still income.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You should ensure that the family member is reporting the income; otherwise you could end up embroiled in a HMRC enquiry. HMRC have access to a lot of data and do open enquiries into those who own more than one property where it is believed that a property is let out. There can be issues with diverting income to other family members. Anti avoidance rules can apply although this is generally more applicable where a minor child is involved or in husband/wife or civil partnership situations. I do not think it will directly apply to you based on the information provided although it is recommended that you properly document any arrangement.

Your company will pay tax on its rental profits and you will pay tax on any inocme you draw from the company. You should seek professional tax and accounting advice. You are welcome to contact me if you need anything further.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• An acceptable level of repairs
                by gnvqsos
                I recenly engaged a new accountant who questioned the extent to which I was claiming for repairs.She suggested I was claiming too high a proprtion of gross rents.I believe in repairing and redecorating whenever a property falls empty,as it makes the house easier to let,and makes tenants willing to...
                10-07-2020, 16:18 PM
              • Reply to An acceptable level of repairs
                by halfax
                its just a personel choice, but over the years it as removed the biggest hassle in my life, ( 2 days before christmas a boiler goes down, you try getting a plumber or more to the point the part need. on holiday in us it happens) just takes away the only problem i have had renting , and works out cheaper...
                12-07-2020, 13:47 PM
                by Section20z
                Wow, I'm lost for words. Paying someone to remove a perfectly serviceable 5 year old boiler ? What about the environmental impact ?
                11-07-2020, 17:58 PM
                by gnvqsos
                I am glad you share my philosophy,but I would not change boilers after just 7 years.Boilers seem more reliabe these days,and it seems criminal to scrap boilers so prematurely.I think frequent repairs keep tenants sweet,if not they will look elsewhere.
                11-07-2020, 16:54 PM
                by halfax
                i always have a high a proprtion of repairs to gross rents. i indend to sell when i am ready to retire, and i want to keep them up to a good standard. it does not take long for a house to get tired.as an example, all my boilers are on 5 -7year cover, when it comes to the end of warranty i replace them....
                11-07-2020, 15:09 PM
                by Gordon999
                You can charge all materials used for repairs and maintenance against the rental income but you cannot for your own labour.
                11-07-2020, 08:23 AM
                by gnvqsos
                I disagree,as repairs and maintenance executed long-term prevent depreciation of assets,and are cheaper than a massive spend after 15-20 years,ensure the houses are lettable and rents can be adjusted ie increased.
                10-07-2020, 19:38 PM
              • Reply to SDLT < 500k
                by Gordon999
                The Nil rate sdlt up to £500K until 31 March 2021 , does include companies .

"Companies as well as individuals buying residential property worth less than £500,000 will also benefit from these changes, as will companies that buy residential property of any value where they meet...
                10-07-2020, 18:56 PM
              • SDLT < 500k
                by Claymore
                Any ideas if I were to transfer/sell a BTL <£500k into a LTD Company in the next couple of months, would the transaction be covered with the no SDLT payable (announced by the chancellor today)?
                08-07-2020, 15:48 PM
                by jpkeates
                HMRC (and your accountant) can't tell you how to run your business - if you spend a lot on repairs and maintenance, you won't make as much profit, but that's your prerogative.

As long as the expenditure is solely and exclusively for the business and doesn't increase the capital value of...
                10-07-2020, 18:33 PM
              Working...
              X