CGT again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT again!

Hoping someone can clarify a couple of things regarding CGT.

I own a rental property 50/50 with my wife. We are thinking of selling and have to consider CGT. I have been searching on line today on this subject as it is a new area for me.

There are two things I would like clarification on.

1) Can we both use our CGT allowance? This may seem obvious, but I've not seen the question specifically covered anywhere, and the online calculators I've used provide no method for adding two allowances.

2) I've read that the stamp duty we paid when we bought the property should also be included as a cost in the CGT calculation. Is this really correct?

Many thanks.
    Gary.

The capital gain is calculated from the sale proceeds less the acquisition cost ( including the conveyancing cost and sdlt ( stamp duty) but ignoring the mortgage expenses ) and the gain is divided 50/50 . Each person declares half the gain on his/her tax return and claims the capital gains allowance.

Comment

remember as well the potential sales costs when you dispose of it (estate agents + conveyancing) which can be deducted as well as any capital costs along the way or from pre-letting

Just my personal view

Comment

As you probably know it's no longer sufficient to declare on your tax return and you will each have to make a declaration within 30 days of the gain.
        You can also deduct the cost of any improvements from the gain.

Comment

As all above, so
          1 Yes
          2 Yes

If either of you ever lived in the property, there may be some additional allowance for that period.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you have ever lived there it can be quite a significant saving https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home/let-out-part-of-home

Comment

Unless I am mistaken, if you sell a property which is in say the husbands sole name you cant after the sale ask for the wife's personal CGT allowance to be used, you have to arrange it before the sale, perhaps have the contract in both names.

Comment

Originally posted by Another Fine Mess View Post
                Unless I am mistaken, if you sell a property which is in say the husbands sole name you cant after the sale ask for the wife's personal CGT allowance to be used, you have to arrange it before the sale, perhaps have the contract in both names.
                True, but that's not the situation here.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• An acceptable level of repairs
                  by gnvqsos
                  I recenly engaged a new accountant who questioned the extent to which I was claiming for repairs.She suggested I was claiming too high a proprtion of gross rents.I believe in repairing and redecorating whenever a property falls empty,as it makes the house easier to let,and makes tenants willing to...
                  10-07-2020, 16:18 PM
                • Reply to An acceptable level of repairs
                  by gnvqsos
                  i bought several electric heaters to serve in emergencies at a cost of £100 and instal electric showers,at cost of £300 a property.
                  13-07-2020, 06:44 AM
                  by halfax
                  its just a personel choice, but over the years it as removed the biggest hassle in my life, ( 2 days before christmas a boiler goes down, you try getting a plumber or more to the point the part need. on holiday in us it happens) just takes away the only problem i have had renting , and works out cheaper...
                  12-07-2020, 13:47 PM
                  by Section20z
                  Wow, I'm lost for words. Paying someone to remove a perfectly serviceable 5 year old boiler ? What about the environmental impact ?
                  11-07-2020, 17:58 PM
                  by gnvqsos
                  I am glad you share my philosophy,but I would not change boilers after just 7 years.Boilers seem more reliabe these days,and it seems criminal to scrap boilers so prematurely.I think frequent repairs keep tenants sweet,if not they will look elsewhere.
                  11-07-2020, 16:54 PM
                  by halfax
                  i always have a high a proprtion of repairs to gross rents. i indend to sell when i am ready to retire, and i want to keep them up to a good standard. it does not take long for a house to get tired.as an example, all my boilers are on 5 -7year cover, when it comes to the end of warranty i replace them....
                  11-07-2020, 15:09 PM
                  by Gordon999
                  You can charge all materials used for repairs and maintenance against the rental income but you cannot for your own labour.
                  11-07-2020, 08:23 AM
                  by gnvqsos
                  I disagree,as repairs and maintenance executed long-term prevent depreciation of assets,and are cheaper than a massive spend after 15-20 years,ensure the houses are lettable and rents can be adjusted ie increased.
                  10-07-2020, 19:38 PM
                • Reply to SDLT < 500k
                  by Gordon999
                  The Nil rate sdlt up to £500K until 31 March 2021 , does include companies .

"Companies as well as individuals buying residential property worth less than £500,000 will also benefit from these changes, as will companies that buy residential property of any value where they meet...
                  10-07-2020, 18:56 PM
                • SDLT < 500k
                  by Claymore
                  Any ideas if I were to transfer/sell a BTL <£500k into a LTD Company in the next couple of months, would the transaction be covered with the no SDLT payable (announced by the chancellor today)?
                  08-07-2020, 15:48 PM
                Working...
                X