CGT again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT again!

Hoping someone can clarify a couple of things regarding CGT.

I own a rental property 50/50 with my wife. We are thinking of selling and have to consider CGT. I have been searching on line today on this subject as it is a new area for me.

There are two things I would like clarification on.

1) Can we both use our CGT allowance? This may seem obvious, but I've not seen the question specifically covered anywhere, and the online calculators I've used provide no method for adding two allowances.

2) I've read that the stamp duty we paid when we bought the property should also be included as a cost in the CGT calculation. Is this really correct?

Many thanks.
    Gary.

The capital gain is calculated from the sale proceeds less the acquisition cost ( including the conveyancing cost and sdlt ( stamp duty) but ignoring the mortgage expenses ) and the gain is divided 50/50 . Each person declares half the gain on his/her tax return and claims the capital gains allowance.

Comment

remember as well the potential sales costs when you dispose of it (estate agents + conveyancing) which can be deducted as well as any capital costs along the way or from pre-letting

Just my personal view

Comment

As you probably know it's no longer sufficient to declare on your tax return and you will each have to make a declaration within 30 days of the gain.
        You can also deduct the cost of any improvements from the gain.

Comment

As all above, so
          1 Yes
          2 Yes

If either of you ever lived in the property, there may be some additional allowance for that period.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you have ever lived there it can be quite a significant saving https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home/let-out-part-of-home

Comment

Unless I am mistaken, if you sell a property which is in say the husbands sole name you cant after the sale ask for the wife's personal CGT allowance to be used, you have to arrange it before the sale, perhaps have the contract in both names.

Comment

Originally posted by Another Fine Mess View Post
                Unless I am mistaken, if you sell a property which is in say the husbands sole name you cant after the sale ask for the wife's personal CGT allowance to be used, you have to arrange it before the sale, perhaps have the contract in both names.
                True, but that's not the situation here.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• SPV Company Expenses and Accounts
                  by vadik.l
                  Hello guys,
                  I'm new in the landlord world and own one property under SPV company. The property I own requires modernisation before I even start thinking to let it out.

I have couple questions to experts:

1. My estimation refurb cost would be around £5k. Which would include...
                  14-05-2020, 14:13 PM
                • Reply to SPV Company Expenses and Accounts
                  by TaxAntics
                  Where refurbishment is on a like for like basis or does not add capital value, it should clearly fall within the remit of allowable repairs and maintenance expenditure. My firm prepare basic company accounts and CT600 returns starting from £600 depending on the level of work required.
                  29-05-2020, 11:37 AM
                • Inheriting a property directly to a limited company
                  by nick_noal
                  Happy VE Day first and foremost 😁

A friend of mine‘s mother sadly passed away recently and he intends to rent out the property which he will inherit.

The life insurance pay out will clear the mortgage, so there shouldn’t be any complications with a lender.
                  08-05-2020, 12:25 PM
                • Reply to Inheriting a property directly to a limited company
                  by TaxAntics
                  Property transferred upon death (as this effectively would be treated) does not attract SDLT unless consideration is paid and a deed of variation can be entered into so the property is transferred directly to a company.
                  29-05-2020, 11:32 AM
                • Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
                  by TaxAntics
                  You should ensure that the family member is reporting the income; otherwise you could end up embroiled in a HMRC enquiry. HMRC have access to a lot of data and do open enquiries into those who own more than one property where it is believed that a property is let out. There can be issues with diverting...
                  29-05-2020, 11:20 AM
                • Paying Tax and Documentation
                  by Cotton
                  My query is in two parts

1. I own a property in my personal name. I purchased this to give a family member some passive income.

Am i right in saying that as the rent does not come to me, i do not need to notify hmrc of additional rental income? And i do not need to fill in...
                  28-05-2020, 06:32 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  It could be, it depends where the money ends up.
                  Tax follows beneficial ownership, so if the relative is the landlord and receives all the rent and keeps it, the owner of the property isn't involved in the income.

If the income received benefits the owner financially in some way,...
                  29-05-2020, 08:54 AM
                  by AndrewDod
                  Agree with that. If they were a co-owner OP could agree to split the rent and expenses in some way. But not otherwise....
                  29-05-2020, 08:32 AM
                  by Section20z
                  I don't think you can just divert the income through another family member's account, that could be tax evasion....
                  28-05-2020, 21:42 PM
                • Reply to Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                  by theartfullodger
                  Good. But it may be an old edition not up to date with all current regulations. It's republished every year...
                  28-05-2020, 16:04 PM
                Working...
                X