Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inheriting a property directly to a limited company

Happy VE Day first and foremost 😁

A friend of mine‘s mother sadly passed away recently and he intends to rent out the property which he will inherit.

The life insurance pay out will clear the mortgage, so there shouldn’t be any complications with a lender.

It would make sense for the usual tax reasons to have the property registered under a limited company however would it be possible to register the property straight into a limited company directly from his mother, rather than going to him personally and then having to sell it to the limited company and incurring the usual stamp duty charges?

I would imagine this is (unfortunately) a common question when when dealing with inheritance. Has anyone else researched this previously?

Thanks in advance

I think you can change the will with a deed of variation so it's left to the company instead of yourself.

Comment

Since the mother is dead ,she is in no way able to transfer the asset, so as your friend is the beneficiary of the property I suspect that the transfer of the asset toa Limited Company would be treated as a sale and purchase and if your friend owns their own property this would triggerthe SDLT. To be sure I would advocate your friend speaking to an accountant.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

i suspected it would trigger sdlt. Will advise seeking professional advice from an accountant 👍

Comment

Unless you really want to pay more tax go and see a solicitor instead. They can alter the will eg https://www.redstonewills.com/news/i...it-benefit-you

Comment

If he's the sole beneficiary and executor, it would be simple.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Unfortunately there was no will set up as she died suddenly and so is dealing with probate

Comment

Borrow a book from your local library about probate or buy a diy probate book online.

Comment

Do some research before you make a decision. Even if they are intestate you can use a deed of variation. If you don't want to do the leg work perhaps pay for some proper advice.
                  Another example here https://www.irwinmitchell.com/person...ter-death#will

Comment

Careful, think about the double entry when you transfer a property to a limited company (a nice DLA). You will have none of this benefit which will probably far outweigh the SDLT saving in a few years.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
                      by jpkeates
                      It could be, it depends where the money ends up.
                      Tax follows beneficial ownership, so if the relative is the landlord and receives all the rent and keeps it, the owner of the property isn't involved in the income.

If the income received benefits the owner financially in some way,...
                      29-05-2020, 08:54 AM
                    • Paying Tax and Documentation
                      by Cotton
                      My query is in two parts

1. I own a property in my personal name. I purchased this to give a family member some passive income.

Am i right in saying that as the rent does not come to me, i do not need to notify hmrc of additional rental income? And i do not need to fill in...
                      28-05-2020, 06:32 AM
                      by AndrewDod
                      Agree with that. If they were a co-owner OP could agree to split the rent and expenses in some way. But not otherwise....
                      29-05-2020, 08:32 AM
                      by Section20z
                      I don't think you can just divert the income through another family member's account, that could be tax evasion....
                      28-05-2020, 21:42 PM
                    • Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                      by Another Fine Mess
                      I recently bought a house to rent out. Am I right in thinking that I should do two sets of accounts.
                      Account 1. CGT account, List the purchase price, solicitors fees, stamp duty, and all the repairs we had to do structurally, decorating, carpets, paint windows, etc So if the purchase price...
                      22-05-2020, 12:18 PM
                    • Reply to Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                      by theartfullodger
                      Good. But it may be an old edition not up to date with all current regulations. It's republished every year...
                      28-05-2020, 16:04 PM
                      by jpkeates
                      If you receive no income from the property you own, you don't have to pay income tax on it, no.
                      You may have to pay CGT when you sell it, if there is any significant increase in value.
                      28-05-2020, 15:57 PM
                    • Reply to Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                      by Always Problems
                      theartfullodger,

Thank you for the advice regarding the Tax.
                      I looked up the book you recommended and found one on eBay at £2 delivered and in it my query is answered.
                      28-05-2020, 15:09 PM
                      by Gordon999
                      The Director of the Ltd Company has to file annual returns to Companies House and to HMRC..

Visit Companies House website, use your company number to find company listing and check due date for filing tax returns . Can be fined if you fail to comply.
                      28-05-2020, 14:52 PM
                    • Sell my small garden to my limited company
                      by yanyan
                      I have a PPR property with a side garden that is suitable to build a house on. Can i set up a limited company and sell my garden to that company, at a commerial rate, to allow the limited company to build a rental property? The plot is less than 0.5 acre so assume I will avoid CGT on the sale? Can I...
                      27-05-2020, 15:32 PM
                    Working...
                    X