Raid my savings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raid my savings?

One tenant moved out on Friday, another moves out on 31st, and a third moves out 30th June. A fourth tenant tells me they cannot pay rent in full. Also, this year I have to upgrade the electrics on a further 11 properties, maybe £1k per flat. I have another 11 properties let, to pay for these voids, and have already paid my July tax. I have about £25k in the bank. I can see myself having to pay about that much in tax next January, so have only rent from a dwindling stock of let properties to live on for the rest of the year.

Recently an index linked National Savings investment matured, and I can take £20k, or reinvest it for another 5 years. Until recently, I was planning to reinvest, but in view of lack of cash, wonder if I should take the money out?

Any thoughts?

How much do you earn per annum on the savings?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      How much do you earn per annum on the savings?
      Very little. It's now CPI+0.01%.

Comment

Assume you've already maxed out your pension contributions then ?

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
          Assume you've already maxed out your pension contributions then ?
          Yeah. I can only contribute £240 pcm, as am not employed.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

Yeah. I can only contribute £240 pcm, as am not employed.
            In that case you are clearly not boracic and it is doing sod all good in NS&I so I say take it out and have a cruise or give it to the kids or cancer research ¡¡

Comment

I second that.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                I second that.
                Thanks. I wasn't asking for advice how to spend my money. I've got plenty of ideas for that.

Comment

If its cash available before paying next January's tax bill, buy £20K of premium bonds. There is a monthly draw and chance to win £25 or £1 Mil.

Comment

I'd take the money out. £25k in the bank may cover your taxes but if you haven't got another lump sum easily accessible for emergency repairs or other unexpected but essential costs etc, you may find yourself juggling finances.

If you haven't already got Premium Bonds, the maximum you can invest is £50K.

Comment

Thanks Claymore. I think I concur.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Paying Tax and Documentation
                        by Cotton
                        My query is in two parts

1. I own a property in my personal name. I purchased this to give a family member some passive income.

Am i right in saying that as the rent does not come to me, i do not need to notify hmrc of additional rental income? And i do not need to fill in...
                        28-05-2020, 06:32 AM
                      • Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
                        by TaxAntics
                        You should ensure that the family member is reporting the income; otherwise you could end up embroiled in a HMRC enquiry. HMRC have access to a lot of data and do open enquiries into those who own more than one property where it is believed that a property is let out. There can be issues with diverting...
                        29-05-2020, 11:20 AM
                        by jpkeates
                        It could be, it depends where the money ends up.
                        Tax follows beneficial ownership, so if the relative is the landlord and receives all the rent and keeps it, the owner of the property isn't involved in the income.

If the income received benefits the owner financially in some way,...
                        29-05-2020, 08:54 AM
                        by AndrewDod
                        Agree with that. If they were a co-owner OP could agree to split the rent and expenses in some way. But not otherwise....
                        29-05-2020, 08:32 AM
                        by Section20z
                        I don't think you can just divert the income through another family member's account, that could be tax evasion....
                        28-05-2020, 21:42 PM
                      • Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                        by Another Fine Mess
                        I recently bought a house to rent out. Am I right in thinking that I should do two sets of accounts.
                        Account 1. CGT account, List the purchase price, solicitors fees, stamp duty, and all the repairs we had to do structurally, decorating, carpets, paint windows, etc So if the purchase price...
                        22-05-2020, 12:18 PM
                      • Reply to Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                        by theartfullodger
                        Good. But it may be an old edition not up to date with all current regulations. It's republished every year...
                        28-05-2020, 16:04 PM
                        by jpkeates
                        If you receive no income from the property you own, you don't have to pay income tax on it, no.
                        You may have to pay CGT when you sell it, if there is any significant increase in value.
                        28-05-2020, 15:57 PM
                      • Reply to Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                        by Always Problems
                        theartfullodger,

Thank you for the advice regarding the Tax.
                        I looked up the book you recommended and found one on eBay at £2 delivered and in it my query is answered.
                        28-05-2020, 15:09 PM
                        by Gordon999
                        The Director of the Ltd Company has to file annual returns to Companies House and to HMRC..

Visit Companies House website, use your company number to find company listing and check due date for filing tax returns . Can be fined if you fail to comply.
                        28-05-2020, 14:52 PM
                      Working...
                      X