Tax advice needed regarding new build and title split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax advice needed regarding new build and title split

We purchased land under a company name and built two semi-detached houses.

We are trying to re-mortgage the properties, but the mortgage company is asking us to split the title in two so each house will have a title of its own.

Our solicitor has advised of the need to move one house from our company to another entity (like another company) only then will we be able to split the title.

We currently have two companies – 1st company which holds one title (this is the original company) and another that can hold the other title or house (this is our second company)

We would like to know if by moving one house from the 1st company to the 2nd, will we then have to pay stamp duty, land tax or capital gains or any other tax (SDLT)?

Do we have to have the 2nd property as a subsidiary of the 1st company, or wouldn’t that make any difference in regard to tax purposes?

Many thanks

I would recommend professional advice. Tax knowledge from "some bloke on an Internet chat room" can be unreliable to say the least ~ see my other post for examples :-)

Comment

I don't quite see why you should have to move property from one company to another in order to split the title. It should be possible to move properties in group structures without a tax liability arising unless assets or a company leave the group.

Comment

There's either something significant we don't know or the solicitor's advice seems odd.
        In order to move one of the properties to another company, you'd have to have split the title as part of the process - otherwise you have nothing to move.

So I suspect the two things are separate.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for the responses - we're based in the North West, can anyone recommend an accountant familiar with this type of thing? thanks

Comment

Visit Land Registry Online website and check the property title for your post code address . You can down load the freehold title and site plan by paying £3 each by credit card . You should expect find one freehold title to cover the site ( now including 2 houses ).and title holder is the 1st Company.

Get some quotations from 2 or 3 local solicitor firms ( which does property conveyancing ) for replacing "one freehold title and site plan" by 2 separate titles and site plan, You need separate plan for each house .

Same company can own 2 freehold houses.

Comment

Originally posted by bengal View Post
              Thanks for the responses - we're based in the North West, can anyone recommend an accountant familiar with this type of thing? thanks
              It should be bread and butter stuff to most solicitors.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
                by TaxAntics
                You should ensure that the family member is reporting the income; otherwise you could end up embroiled in a HMRC enquiry. HMRC have access to a lot of data and do open enquiries into those who own more than one property where it is believed that a property is let out. There can be issues with diverting...
                29-05-2020, 11:20 AM
              • Paying Tax and Documentation
                by Cotton
                My query is in two parts

1. I own a property in my personal name. I purchased this to give a family member some passive income.

Am i right in saying that as the rent does not come to me, i do not need to notify hmrc of additional rental income? And i do not need to fill in...
                28-05-2020, 06:32 AM
                by jpkeates
                It could be, it depends where the money ends up.
                Tax follows beneficial ownership, so if the relative is the landlord and receives all the rent and keeps it, the owner of the property isn't involved in the income.

If the income received benefits the owner financially in some way,...
                29-05-2020, 08:54 AM
                by AndrewDod
                Agree with that. If they were a co-owner OP could agree to split the rent and expenses in some way. But not otherwise....
                29-05-2020, 08:32 AM
                by Section20z
                I don't think you can just divert the income through another family member's account, that could be tax evasion....
                28-05-2020, 21:42 PM
              • Reply to Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                by theartfullodger
                Good. But it may be an old edition not up to date with all current regulations. It's republished every year...
                28-05-2020, 16:04 PM
              • Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                by Another Fine Mess
                I recently bought a house to rent out. Am I right in thinking that I should do two sets of accounts.
                Account 1. CGT account, List the purchase price, solicitors fees, stamp duty, and all the repairs we had to do structurally, decorating, carpets, paint windows, etc So if the purchase price...
                22-05-2020, 12:18 PM
                by jpkeates
                If you receive no income from the property you own, you don't have to pay income tax on it, no.
                You may have to pay CGT when you sell it, if there is any significant increase in value.
                28-05-2020, 15:57 PM
              • Reply to Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                by Always Problems
                theartfullodger,

Thank you for the advice regarding the Tax.
                I looked up the book you recommended and found one on eBay at £2 delivered and in it my query is answered.
                28-05-2020, 15:09 PM
                by Gordon999
                The Director of the Ltd Company has to file annual returns to Companies House and to HMRC..

Visit Companies House website, use your company number to find company listing and check due date for filing tax returns . Can be fined if you fail to comply.
                28-05-2020, 14:52 PM
              Working...
              X