Stamp duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp duty

First-timer I am looking to purchase a buy to let property through a newly created business this will now be my job will I have to pay stamp duty on this any help would be appreciated

If you haven’t already looked in to basic information like that which is readily available through a quick google search then you should be asking yourself if you’re ready to turn buy to let in to a job.
    Expenses such as stamp duty and tax rates are the main factors that influence whether to set up a company to run the property business through so stamp duty should really have been looked in to before deciding to buy through a company.

Comment

Having decided to throw myself from an aeroplane, I am looking for people's thoughts on parachutes.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Short answer is yes, and you’ll have to pay an additional 3% over the standard residential rates because it’s buy-to-let.

More information: https://www.which.co.uk/money/mortga...y-a26by5t8dmcb

Comment

As first time buyer , you can buy a property (under your own name for self occupation ) up to £300K and claim exemption for sdlt ( = Nil ) ..

If you buy for BTL property ( under your name or company name ) then you should expect to pay sdlt + 3% ( if property price over £40K ).

You can check this out by asking for a quotation from a local solicitor firm offering conveyancing service.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to CGT & Gifting
            by gnvqsos
            I think you can reduce liability for CGT by deducting the costs of renovations,and costs associated with purchase eg survey fees,conveyancing fees etc.It may be possible to deduct legal fees resulting from the gift made...
            14-07-2020, 16:35 PM
          • CGT & Gifting
            by Kape65
            If I were to gift unencumbered properties to my adult children what would be their baseline for calculating CGT? Would it be zero (the price they paid) or would it be the price I paid or would it be based on market value when gifted? Or none of the above?
            13-07-2020, 15:12 PM
          • Reply to CGT & Gifting
            by Kape65
            Thanks for the replies, all clear now.
            14-07-2020, 11:24 AM
          • Reply to CGT & Gifting
            by Gordon999
            The Donor has liability for cgt after making the gift. The capital gain is calculated by the market value at July 2020 less price paid.

The Donee has liability for cgt after selling the gift . The capital gain is calculated from the sale proceeds less the market value at July 2020 .
            14-07-2020, 07:02 AM
          • Reply to CGT & Gifting
            by AndrewDod
            Don't forget you need to declare the gift and pay the relevant tax within 30 days. So you need to supply that information now....
            14-07-2020, 00:14 AM
          • Moving overseas - forms to submit to HMRC
            by JamesHopeful
            I'm about to move overseas for a couple of years.

I know that I need to submit an NRL1 to allow my letting agent to continue to pay my rent to me gross. However, do I need to submit any other forms at this stage? (e.g. a form informing HMRC that I'm going overseas in the first place?)...
            05-07-2020, 15:43 PM
          • Reply to Moving overseas - forms to submit to HMRC
            by tatemono
            https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dividuals-nrl1 has a whole lot more which might be useful.

Bear in mind that just because you get rent paid gross doesn't mean you won't eventually end up...
            13-07-2020, 20:57 PM
          • Reply to tax allowance for new tiles on roof
            by Mrs Mug
            2 years ago, we had a complete new roof, new facsias and soffits, and new guttering fitted for our own home. Never even thought about mentioning it to the insurance or mortgage provider. Why did you?...
            13-07-2020, 17:17 PM
          • tax allowance for new tiles on roof
            by alice123
            ok - I had a surveyor down recently who told me my BTL needs attention to guttering and new fasicas as they are in need of sorting out - had a roofer quote me but also told me the tiles needed replacing on roof as they are missing in areas and letting in water , i know this to be true as I looked at...
            07-07-2020, 23:19 PM
          • Reply to CGT & Gifting
            by jpucng62
            As JPKeates says - the value on the date of gifting. I would gather together some evidence of the value so you can back it up when you need to to HMRC.
            13-07-2020, 15:26 PM
          Working...
          X