Stamp duty

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Stamp duty

    First-timer I am looking to purchase a buy to let property through a newly created business this will now be my job will I have to pay stamp duty on this any help would be appreciated

    If you haven’t already looked in to basic information like that which is readily available through a quick google search then you should be asking yourself if you’re ready to turn buy to let in to a job.
    Expenses such as stamp duty and tax rates are the main factors that influence whether to set up a company to run the property business through so stamp duty should really have been looked in to before deciding to buy through a company.


      Having decided to throw myself from an aeroplane, I am looking for people's thoughts on parachutes.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Short answer is yes, and you’ll have to pay an additional 3% over the standard residential rates because it’s buy-to-let.

        More information:


          As first time buyer , you can buy a property (under your own name for self occupation ) up to £300K and claim exemption for sdlt ( = Nil ) ..

          If you buy for BTL property ( under your name or company name ) then you should expect to pay sdlt + 3% ( if property price over £40K ).

          You can check this out by asking for a quotation from a local solicitor firm offering conveyancing service.


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
            by jpkeates
            It could be, it depends where the money ends up.
            Tax follows beneficial ownership, so if the relative is the landlord and receives all the rent and keeps it, the owner of the property isn't involved in the income.

            If the income received benefits the owner financially in some way,...
            29-05-2020, 08:54 AM
          • Paying Tax and Documentation
            by Cotton
            My query is in two parts

            1. I own a property in my personal name. I purchased this to give a family member some passive income.

            Am i right in saying that as the rent does not come to me, i do not need to notify hmrc of additional rental income? And i do not need to fill in...
            28-05-2020, 06:32 AM
          • Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
            by AndrewDod
            Agree with that. If they were a co-owner OP could agree to split the rent and expenses in some way. But not otherwise....
            29-05-2020, 08:32 AM
          • Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
            by Section20z
            I don't think you can just divert the income through another family member's account, that could be tax evasion....
            28-05-2020, 21:42 PM
          • Reply to Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
            by theartfullodger
            Good. But it may be an old edition not up to date with all current regulations. It's republished every year...
            28-05-2020, 16:04 PM
          • Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
            by Another Fine Mess
            I recently bought a house to rent out. Am I right in thinking that I should do two sets of accounts.
            Account 1. CGT account, List the purchase price, solicitors fees, stamp duty, and all the repairs we had to do structurally, decorating, carpets, paint windows, etc So if the purchase price...
            22-05-2020, 12:18 PM
          • Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
            by jpkeates
            If you receive no income from the property you own, you don't have to pay income tax on it, no.
            You may have to pay CGT when you sell it, if there is any significant increase in value.
            28-05-2020, 15:57 PM
          • Reply to Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
            by Always Problems

            Thank you for the advice regarding the Tax.
            I looked up the book you recommended and found one on eBay at £2 delivered and in it my query is answered.
            28-05-2020, 15:09 PM
          • Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
            by Gordon999
            The Director of the Ltd Company has to file annual returns to Companies House and to HMRC..

            Visit Companies House website, use your company number to find company listing and check due date for filing tax returns . Can be fined if you fail to comply.
            28-05-2020, 14:52 PM
          • Sell my small garden to my limited company
            by yanyan
            I have a PPR property with a side garden that is suitable to build a house on. Can i set up a limited company and sell my garden to that company, at a commerial rate, to allow the limited company to build a rental property? The plot is less than 0.5 acre so assume I will avoid CGT on the sale? Can I...
            27-05-2020, 15:32 PM