Stamp duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp duty

First-timer I am looking to purchase a buy to let property through a newly created business this will now be my job will I have to pay stamp duty on this any help would be appreciated

If you haven’t already looked in to basic information like that which is readily available through a quick google search then you should be asking yourself if you’re ready to turn buy to let in to a job.
    Expenses such as stamp duty and tax rates are the main factors that influence whether to set up a company to run the property business through so stamp duty should really have been looked in to before deciding to buy through a company.

Comment

Having decided to throw myself from an aeroplane, I am looking for people's thoughts on parachutes.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Short answer is yes, and you’ll have to pay an additional 3% over the standard residential rates because it’s buy-to-let.

More information: https://www.which.co.uk/money/mortga...y-a26by5t8dmcb

Comment

As first time buyer , you can buy a property (under your own name for self occupation ) up to £300K and claim exemption for sdlt ( = Nil ) ..

If you buy for BTL property ( under your name or company name ) then you should expect to pay sdlt + 3% ( if property price over £40K ).

You can check this out by asking for a quotation from a local solicitor firm offering conveyancing service.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit
            by jpkeates
            When you complete your tax return, you no longer deduct the interest (and any other finance related costs, e.g. a setup fee) you have paid as an allowable expense.
            You calculate the tax you would pay without that deduction (i.e. income less other expenses at the appropriate rate(s))
            Then...
            04-07-2020, 12:40 PM
          • Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit
            by cadence248
            Good afternoon all,

I've been getting to grips with the changes to landlord's tax relief over the last few years. One thing that worries me considerably is that since all rental income is now taxed, and I must pay my loan interest and repayments out of this also, that really doesn't leave...
            02-07-2020, 15:11 PM
            by Kape65
            The 20% credit is automatically applied, you would have been getting it for the last 3 years!
            04-07-2020, 10:19 AM
            by jpkeates
            The only people negatively affected by the change in how the interest can be claimed are higher rate tax payers and standard rate tax payers who were close to the higher rate threshold.

For most landlords, the change is simply in how the tax is calculated, the outcome is the same.
            04-07-2020, 08:58 AM
          • Reply to Can we claim back the VAT?
            by Gordon999
            Your lease should require the leaseholders to pay annual service charge contribution to the management company.

To keep the non-profit making Management Company dormant which is easier for filing annual returns to Companies House, the service charge money collected from the leaseholders...
            04-07-2020, 08:18 AM
          • Can we claim back the VAT?
            by 529 Charlie
            We are 3 Leaseholders each with a share of the freehold of our shared building. Purchase of our flats meant we also became Directors of a dormant Management Company. We need urgent maintenance/Major Works doing and wondered how and if we can claim back the VAT charged by the builder(s).

03-07-2020, 18:13 PM
          • Reply to Tax Return
            by Gordon999
            Revised figures for your situation ( for 12 months rent.)

Annual rental income = £6000

Buildings insurance = £0.

Maintenance & Repairs = £100

Letting agent = 12 x £60 = £720

Total Expenses = £820

Profit = £6000-...
            04-07-2020, 07:50 AM
          • Tax Return
            by Brian862107
            Does anyone know of any good online tutorials/guides for filling out your self-assessment tax return? I don't know about you's but I hate filling out forms (they always ask you to tick a box to say the information you've put in is correct too!!)!

This is my first year filling out the self-assessment...
            01-07-2020, 15:51 PM
          • Reply to CGT after selling my main residence
            by doobrey
            I had thought it was something like that as well, until I looked it up.

https://www.gov.uk/stamp-duty-land-t...property-rates
            04-07-2020, 07:36 AM
          • CGT after selling my main residence
            by Echoes
            Hi there
            First of all thanks in advance for your reply. I would really appreciate if you can calify some of my confusion.

I have few queries regarding selling my main residence which would impact on how much CGT I would pay...

1. I am buying a new house to live so...
            02-07-2020, 14:14 PM
          Working...
          X