Tax implications when in carehome and renting out house to cover some costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax implications when in carehome and renting out house to cover some costs

My mother who suffers with dementia is now living in a carehome costing her around £3200 a month.
    She owns her house outright. If I rent her house out to offset some of the cost (rent about £1800 )are there any tax implications?
    Many thanks in advance for any replies
    Peter

The annual income ( 12 x £1800 = £21600 ) minus the letting expenses ( letting agent, building insurance etc ) = annual profit will be taxed as income.

If your mother has no job income, she can claim the personal allowance of £12,500 and pay 20% .

For example, if the annual rent is £21,600 minus say £5,000 expenses , the annual profit = £16,600. After deducting £12,500 personal allowance , the taxable profit =£16,600 - £12,500 = £4,100.

Tax will be charged at 20% = £820 .

Comment

But she cannot offset one against the other which is I think what you are asking. She will pay tax on the rental income above the threshold (assuming she has no other incomer)

Comment

Thank you both for your answers. it seems so unfair that at 93 and having never had any help from the state in her life that this is the case.
        In fact by paying for her own care she is saving the state money!

Comment

It is not unfair (or at least not any more unfair than taxation in general is unfair - which it is in large part). It is a source of income. It happens to be a house. It could just as easily have been a stockmarket investment, or ongoing royalties from her book.

If I move out of my home to go an work elsewhere, I pay rent, but pay taxes on the rent I earn. So I end up substantially out of pocket. That's pretty unfair too I guess, and my rent paid is not a taxable expense.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter42 View Post
            In fact, by paying for her own care she is saving the state money!
            I hope that she is enjoying a better level of care as a consequence of her earlier prudence.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              I hope that she is enjoying a better level of care as a consequence of her earlier prudence.
              Possibly, but that probably won't be the case now or going forward. People (like me) who spent sensibly, doesn't smoke, drink, doesn't eat out every day, doesn't go on fancy holidays a few times a year or drive two cars that are replaced every few years ... did that in the expectation of being less of a burden on the state and having a secure life. Now it seems likely that at least 50% of the value of savings are going to be eroded as a result of money printing, and basically state theft from exactly people like the OP. It is not the "government" who is providing the current handouts -- it is me.

If it is to provide a safety net for vulnerable people (of which my child is one -- one of the reasons I have saved) -- I have no problem with that. But if it is to provide handouts to people who haven't given a stuff -- not so much.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• EICR check and follow up work Tax deductible?
                by Celibin
                Just wondering if this is the case and can be claimed on self-assessment?
                09-08-2020, 06:45 AM
              • Reply to EICR check and follow up work Tax deductible?
                by AndrewDod
                Yes of course it is....
                09-08-2020, 23:39 PM
              • Reply to CGT evidence
                by AndrewDod
                Most of those things are not capital expenses anyway. Your probably already claimed then as expenses against rental income. Painting a place which you then live in certainly is not a capital expense, not an improvement (in CGT terms). Building a wall where there was not one before is an example of an...
                09-08-2020, 23:25 PM
              • CGT evidence
                by PaulRs1
                Hi All,

I’m an accidental landlord and about to sell the house. Lived in it for 4 years and rented it out for 6 (with the intention of moving back, which never happened)

im aware I need to pay CGT and can claim improvement costs, I basically bought a wreck and renovated it...
                08-08-2020, 13:25 PM
              • Can I Rent My Private BTLs to my own Ltd Company?
                by Crunchie
                I own 5 buy to let HMOs in my private name with mortgages and have to pay the higher rate of income tax. My properties are my only source of income.

Can I set up a Ltd Company and rent my properties to it for a rental that is less than the higher rate tax band, say £45,000 total? The tenants...
                09-08-2020, 20:25 PM
              • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                by divadee
                We paid 18,000 for the freehold and had legal costs of approx 2k for the purchase. This was 4 years ago though. Can we still offset purchase price over income 4 years later?...
                09-08-2020, 20:20 PM
              • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                by divadee
                Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
                07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
              • Reply to First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
                by Advice seeker
                Thanks JP, good to know.

Does it make a difference I have never actually lived there?

In a nutshell, was family home, to keep certain over sentimental family members happy, it wasn't touched for ten years, literally, until the council threatened a forced purchased. Even when...
                09-08-2020, 15:46 PM
              • First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
                by Advice seeker
                Hi all

This might be a simple one, or not.

Can someone please advise if this seems correct?

For 2019-2020 I have the following on the HMRC form:

£9715 income
                £2558 total allowable expenses

Profit £7517

I believe mortgage...
                15-07-2020, 20:04 PM
              • Reply to CGT evidence
                by Gordon999
                Since you live in the house for 4 years plus you can claim 9 months after moving out as your main residence period = roughly 5 years .

You will have to pay cgt for last 5 years whilst under rental . I suggest you pay for a "high valuation" for your property in Aug 2015...
                09-08-2020, 11:40 AM
              Working...
              X