CGT under the threshold once split with husband?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CGT under the threshold once split with husband?

    Hi hoping someone can clarify...

    I'm busy doing 2019-20 return. We sold a BTL during that year for £79500. As it was jointly owned between me and husband do I treat it as selling for £39750 for my part (and his) and therefore below the £48000 amount that you have to report on SA for selling an asset? Thanks.

    The capital gains after sale of BTL property is calculated from "sale proceeds" minus "acquisition cost" including costs charged by estate agent and conveyancing solicitor costs.

    For example : If the sale proceeds after deducting selling costs , was £78,000 and original purchase was £51,000, then your capital gain is £78K - £51K = £27K.
    Since the property was owned by 2 persons, each person declares 50% in a tax return, showing capital gain = £39,000 - £ 25,500 = £13,500.

    The personal capital gains allowance is £12,000 ( tax free ). So the tax is charged on the taxable gain £1,500 at 18% or 28%.

    Where did you find £48,000 figure ?


      The £48000 figure is mentioned within the SA form. There is the option to submit a CGT form if you've disposed of a chargeable asset and it says something along the lines of if the value is more than £48000 (I'm assuming it equates to 4 x this years allowance) and you've made a gain over the allowance. Property was bought for 56500 and sold for 79500 so a profit of £11500 each once split.

      So if property selling price is split over my SA and husband's SA we're each below the £48k and we've both made less than the allowance so no CGT to pay but still not sure if I have to report it somewhere.

      Hope the above makes sense.


        Why exactly don't you want to declare it? If you are submitting a return anyway.


          I checked the HMRC website and found the £48,000 figure refers to form SA905 for Trusts and Trustees. Tell HMRC about capital gains made by a trust

          "As a trustee, you must tell HMRC either about:
          • disposals the trust makes if they result in a liability in a tax year
          • all disposals the trust makes whether they result in a gain or a loss because the trust has been issued an SA return unless:
            • the value of the disposals exceeds the annual exempt amount by 4 times (£48,000 for the 2019 to 2020 tax year)
            • you’re liable to pay Capital Gains Tax

          You can do this by completing form SA905 Trust and Estate Capital Gains."

          You and your husband have been probably given the wrong form.


            I do want to declare it but it appears the SA form isn't set up to do it/ doesn't need it if the asset is below £48k and no gain over £12k made? Once you tick the boxes to state that you don't get the option of filling in a CGT form. If the asset was in one name we would meet the criteria for declaring ie over £48k and a gain of £23k made. I'm assuming (and this is the part that I'm not sure about) that because the property was jointly owned we each declare half the buying, selling and gain figures so that we can each use our allowance but then this brings us below the threshold for declaring. It comes down to do I half everything in the same way I do with rental income/costs as all jointly owned or declare it as one 'lump' but somehow attach husbands £12k allowance to it?

            On the form it says "If you disposed of chargeable assets worth more than £48,000 choose 'Yes', otherwise, choose 'No'.

            You must fill in the capital gains pages and attach your computations if in the tax year you disposed of chargeable assets which were worth more than £48,000"

            and then

            "If your taxable gains after taper relief are more than £12,000 choose 'Yes', otherwise, choose 'No'.

            You must fill in the capital gains pages and attach your computations if in the tax year no losses are deducted from your chargeable gains but your total chargeable gains after applying taper relief are more than £12,000."


              Send a letter to the tax office ( post by signed delivery ) and give your details for 50% share ( sale proceeds £39,750 and acquisition cost £28,250 ), capital gain = £11.500 which is below the Capital Gains Personal Allowance .

              Am I required to submit any tax return for my 50% share of capital gain ?


                Thanks for the replies. Will get in touch with the tax office. Am I correct in thinking the asset does have to be split across acquisition/sale/gain rather than 1 asset with 2 allowances attached as all SA are done at an individual level rather than as a couple?


                  I did this for a sale on my last tax return.

                  It is my recollection that you must use the full sale price in each tax return, but you (somehow, I cannot recall) declare the gain as 50% per return.


                    I did this last year and you simply divide the figures into the shares owned.
                    So if the total sales value was £79500, your individual sales proceeds were £39750.
                    Same with the costs and purchase price.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


                      Thanks for the replies. I'll half everything and also write to the tax office to confirm.


                        You have to declare the gain or loss. When you complete the form, there is a box asking if you have disposed of a property and how many properties do you now rent out. The tax man will be looking out for figures.


                          *how many properties do you now rent out* I've never had to say how many properties we rent out. The figures from the properties have always just been added and divided by 2 (50% me/50% husband) and then I enter one set into my SA form and one (duplicate) set into my husbands. I'm wondering if the online form, which I've always used, is different to the paper version.


                            I think the figure HMRC quote for declaring sales corresponds to the level for filing stamp duty return thus making it easy to spot non declaration, but TBH as you have no CGT to pay anyway it's irrelevant as long as you and hubby do the same thing.
                            If you write a letter you'll just draw attention and you are clearly just trying to do the honest thing.
                            The online form definitely has a box for number of properties let jointly but I think it's described as "optional" so many ignore it !


                              Originally posted by Section20z View Post
                              The online form definitely has a box for number of properties let jointly but I think it's described as "optional" so many ignore it !
                              I'm going to have to pay more attention!


                              Latest Activity


                              • EICR check and follow up work Tax deductible?
                                by Celibin
                                Just wondering if this is the case and can be claimed on self-assessment?
                                09-08-2020, 06:45 AM
                              • Reply to EICR check and follow up work Tax deductible?
                                by AndrewDod
                                Yes of course it is....
                                09-08-2020, 23:39 PM
                              • CGT evidence
                                by PaulRs1
                                Hi All,

                                I’m an accidental landlord and about to sell the house. Lived in it for 4 years and rented it out for 6 (with the intention of moving back, which never happened)

                                im aware I need to pay CGT and can claim improvement costs, I basically bought a wreck and renovated it...
                                08-08-2020, 13:25 PM
                              • Reply to CGT evidence
                                by AndrewDod
                                Most of those things are not capital expenses anyway. Your probably already claimed then as expenses against rental income. Painting a place which you then live in certainly is not a capital expense, not an improvement (in CGT terms). Building a wall where there was not one before is an example of an...
                                09-08-2020, 23:25 PM
                              • Can I Rent My Private BTLs to my own Ltd Company?
                                by Crunchie
                                I own 5 buy to let HMOs in my private name with mortgages and have to pay the higher rate of income tax. My properties are my only source of income.

                                Can I set up a Ltd Company and rent my properties to it for a rental that is less than the higher rate tax band, say £45,000 total? The tenants...
                                09-08-2020, 20:25 PM
                              • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                                by divadee
                                Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
                                07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
                              • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                                by divadee
                                We paid 18,000 for the freehold and had legal costs of approx 2k for the purchase. This was 4 years ago though. Can we still offset purchase price over income 4 years later?...
                                09-08-2020, 20:20 PM
                              • First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
                                by Advice seeker
                                Hi all

                                This might be a simple one, or not.

                                Can someone please advise if this seems correct?

                                For 2019-2020 I have the following on the HMRC form:

                                £9715 income
                                £2558 total allowable expenses

                                Profit £7517

                                I believe mortgage...
                                15-07-2020, 20:04 PM
                              • Reply to First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
                                by Advice seeker
                                Thanks JP, good to know.

                                Does it make a difference I have never actually lived there?

                                In a nutshell, was family home, to keep certain over sentimental family members happy, it wasn't touched for ten years, literally, until the council threatened a forced purchased. Even when...
                                09-08-2020, 15:46 PM
                              • Reply to CGT evidence
                                by Gordon999
                                Since you live in the house for 4 years plus you can claim 9 months after moving out as your main residence period = roughly 5 years .

                                You will have to pay cgt for last 5 years whilst under rental . I suggest you pay for a "high valuation" for your property in Aug 2015...
                                09-08-2020, 11:40 AM