SA105 Property Expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA105 Property Expenses

Our tenants reported a leaking roof back in January which didn't actually recur again after the initial report, they moved out in February and while we were freshening up the house for the new tenants we had the roof inspected, and decided that rather than pay out for a patch job that we would replace the whole roof. I understand I can't set this off against tax? however while this was in progress they showed me that the chimney stacks needed repointing and new flashing, this was quoted and invoiced separately, can this be offset against tax as it is a repair? I'm also assuming that the money i spent on paint etc cannot be included as I did that work myself?

Why do you think the roof repair can't be claimed against tax?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi jpkeates, I understood that a repair could be counted, but we chose to replace the whole roof, rather than go for just a repair...

Comment

It's still an operating cost and still allowable.
        A very cautious person might allocate some of the cost as a capital item, but I wouldn't.

Allowable costs are any costs incurred solely and exclusively for the business.
        Then you allocate them as either operational (allowed against income) or capital (allowed against the gain on disposal).
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Flipping a property
          by Gray
          My son and I are thinking of buying a property together and renovating it. We were intending to rent it out but now are thinking about just selling it again once work is finished. If we purchase property in three names (our’s and his partner’s), we would get three capital gains allowances is that...
          18-05-2020, 17:53 PM
        • Reply to Flipping a property
          by jpkeates
          If the property title was a joint tenancy, anyone not contributing to the purchase would have received the ownership as a gift and would be an owner as a matter of fact.
          29-05-2020, 16:26 PM
        • Is changing carpets to laminate flooring tax deductible?
          by anqi_z
          Hello,

Carpets in a let property has worn out and I am considering to replace it with laminate flooring.
          Could anyone advise if this will be tax deductible (assume this won't be considered as improvement)?

Thank you....
          25-05-2020, 19:16 PM
        • Reply to Is changing carpets to laminate flooring tax deductible?
          by jpkeates
          OK, that makes a lot more sense.

The HMRC guidance is focussed on improvements like new rooms or new bathrooms rather than more mundane changes.

I would probably focus equally on the amount of the difference rather than the ratio - £500 is neither here nor there for tax purposes,...
          29-05-2020, 16:16 PM
          by Stew
          thanks - interesting reading
          29-05-2020, 15:32 PM
          by TaxAntics
          A good question! I read the post as being a purchase between a father, son and their partner and so assumed they'd all have an equitable interest. A partnership arrangement could easily have a variable profit sharing ratio that wouldn't necessarily follow equitable interests with partners’ capital...
          29-05-2020, 15:22 PM
          by Stew
          A question if I may (not that I am disposing or buying but just sparked a question),,, is it enough to purchase the property in three names or do three names actually have to put funds into it at the point of purchase?

If a property were bought by ten members of a family and all on the...
          29-05-2020, 14:38 PM
          by TaxAntics
          That depends on how you choose to interpet HMRC guidance:

However, where the new item is not substantially of the same standard/quality as the old item, the deduction is equal to the lesser of:
          • the cost of the new item
          or
          • the cost that would have been incurred if the old item had essentially
          29-05-2020, 13:32 PM
          by jpkeates
          That's not correct.

While it's not exactly like for like, one conventional floor covering is being replaced by another.
          Some incidental improvement is likely (as with any replacement) - the "improvement" wouldn't affect the value of the property materially....
          29-05-2020, 13:13 PM
        • Reply to Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
          by TaxAntics
          You've broadly got it! However, expenditure incurred up to 7 years prior to the commencement of a business activity are allowable for income or corporation tax purposes as though they had been incurred on the first day of the activity commencing provided they would have ordinarily been allowable revenue...
          29-05-2020, 13:04 PM
        Working...
        X