SA105 Property Expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA105 Property Expenses

Our tenants reported a leaking roof back in January which didn't actually recur again after the initial report, they moved out in February and while we were freshening up the house for the new tenants we had the roof inspected, and decided that rather than pay out for a patch job that we would replace the whole roof. I understand I can't set this off against tax? however while this was in progress they showed me that the chimney stacks needed repointing and new flashing, this was quoted and invoiced separately, can this be offset against tax as it is a repair? I'm also assuming that the money i spent on paint etc cannot be included as I did that work myself?

Why do you think the roof repair can't be claimed against tax?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi jpkeates, I understood that a repair could be counted, but we chose to replace the whole roof, rather than go for just a repair...

Comment

It's still an operating cost and still allowable.
        A very cautious person might allocate some of the cost as a capital item, but I wouldn't.

Allowable costs are any costs incurred solely and exclusively for the business.
        Then you allocate them as either operational (allowed against income) or capital (allowed against the gain on disposal).
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tax with 30 days
          by AndrewDod
          If they want to make laws they need to make sure they have the brains and skills to implement them.

So I left reporting CGT until the very last day (today) - as is my right.

When I tried to log in to the government gateway it told me I now need extra authentication. I chose...
          13-08-2020, 16:12 PM
        • Reply to Tax with 30 days
          by Stew
          They clearly don't want your money ...
          13-08-2020, 23:00 PM
        • Capital Gains Tax
          by Connor0431
          Hi all,

Small query

I’m looking to sell my rental property in the next few months however I wanted to understand CGT tax.

I have recently got married in the past month and as part of this would I be able to take into account married couple allowance for CGT?...
          13-08-2020, 11:39 AM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
          by Section20z
          Plus quite likely another 10% saving on the wife's share of the gain (28%-18%)...
          13-08-2020, 22:29 PM
          by Kape65
          I believe transfers between spouses are a perfectly legal and allowed method of reducing tax.
          13-08-2020, 20:32 PM
        • Reply to First year tax for a newbie landlord
          by jpucng62
          Basically anything that is done in order to (and exclusively for) renting out the property is allowable. Receipts are not necessary (although desirable) - proof of the payment should be fine. Sort you proofs now & keep them in case you are challenged (very unlikely!). Remember you must declared...
          13-08-2020, 19:54 PM
        • First year tax for a newbie landlord
          by rag-uk
          Hi all, I'm new to the forums as I'm a new "accidental" landlord so was wondering if somebody could advise on allowable expenses prior to my first tenants moving in. I've tried searching the net but seem to get lots of conflicting info in this "grey area".

Basically,...
          13-08-2020, 16:13 PM
          by jpucng62
          I was told by a solicitor that if HMRC believes you have altered ownership to evade tax they can ignore the gift and tax you on it all anyway.

Remember that the extra CGT is 18% or 28% of £12.300 (£2214 or £3444) - sometimes you just have to accept that there is tax to pay. ...
          13-08-2020, 19:48 PM
        • Reply to Tax with 30 days
          by Kape65
          Well you're screwed now, might as well leave it another few months and try again
          13-08-2020, 18:21 PM
          by Kape65
          And don't forget the SDLT that may be payable on the transfer, especially painful if she already owns a share in another property such as the matrimonial home.
          13-08-2020, 18:16 PM
        Working...
        X