Selling part share

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling part share

5 years ago i gifted part of my property to my son as joint tenants. We lived in the property together. So its possibly a grob.

Now we want to go our separate ways. Could he buy my share out so he owns the whole house. And i use the money to buy elsewhere. Could this introduce a IHT or POAT problem?
    ​​​

I don't know what a grob is in this context.

It was a gift with reservation, so, unless you are paying rent, the property is still in your estate for IHT purposes.

As long as your son doesn't live in the new property, I don't see that POAT would apply, but it's not something I have any experience of, so it's worth checking with a professional.

As long as the purchase is at market value, I don't see any obvious problem other than the seven year issue with the "gift" that already exists.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Grob meaning gift with reservation.

What if the purchase is below market value. The share is worth a market value of 250k but i can only afford to pay 200k. How will hmrc view it?

In another view i already made a gift of the property to him as joint tenant, how is the best way of getting my name of the property with incurring cgt or other taxes and loosing the gift with reservation of my name. We dont own any other properties.

Comment

If you gift someone a property (or part of one) and carry on living there, the gift has reservations.
        So you either need to move out or start paying market rate rent to live there to end that situation.

Any transaction done at an undervalue is treated by HMRC as being at market value, so for SDLT and IHT the property would be seen as transacting at £250k
        If your son paid £200 for the other half of the property, the £50,000 is a gift, but, this time, with no reservation.

You could have put the property into a trust rather than transferring half as a gift, but it's too late for that now.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Ok thanks.
          So as i already did a gift of the property a few years back. Do i have to to pay cgt on the rest of the property when i gift it over or sell it to son as cash?

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
            It was a gift with reservation, so, unless you are paying rent, the property is still in your estate for IHT purposes.
            Although they were BOTH living there and both owned it -- so the share gifted is probably not a GROB. It would be if only the OP was living there (owning only a portion) and not paying rent.

It depends on the proportion - if the OP owned 1% and paid no rent - I think it would be in GROB territory - if OP owned 50% and lived there with one other person who also owned 50%, and neither paid rent to each other -- not so much GROB I think.

Otherwise agree with advice given.

OP did you fail to pay CGT before???? - that may not be good..

Comment

Interesting that it may not be a grob as we own it all together. But surely hmrc will view it as i retained a benefit.

Its our only main property i dnt think any cgt will be due. I was asking will cgt be due if i make another gift or sell my share to get my name of deeds?
              I ask because of already made 1 gift to make us joint tenants. So would another gift be allowed to get my name off. Is a sale allowed of my share to?

Comment

Bill31,

Well if CGT was not payable on the first slice it won't be on the second.

I don't see that you retained a benefit, but I can't find any case law to that effect. But if rent was payable it would have gone in both directions (you would have paid your son half the rent and he would have paid you the same amount).

Comment

The reservation will depend (as far as I can see) on who pays the running costs of the property.
                  If the running costs are split in line with the ownership, it's one thing, if the property is run as though it was the mother's house with her continuing to pay all the bills is another.

Comment

Im sure the reservation relies on the person who made the gift.
                    If we was to sell the property and take our 50/50 share of the sale price would that release the gift with reservation if we then went on to buy our own property

Comment

There is no cgt to pay.on the capital gain after sale of your own residence.

IHT charged on a deceased person's estate starts above £325K threshold, and is charged at 40% rate.

The 50% share of residence gifted 5 years ago, if counted as part of your estate above £325K, will be reduced to about 15% tax rate after 5 years and to 0% rate after 7 years.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
                        by jpkeates
                        It could be, it depends where the money ends up.
                        Tax follows beneficial ownership, so if the relative is the landlord and receives all the rent and keeps it, the owner of the property isn't involved in the income.

If the income received benefits the owner financially in some way,...
                        29-05-2020, 08:54 AM
                      • Paying Tax and Documentation
                        by Cotton
                        My query is in two parts

1. I own a property in my personal name. I purchased this to give a family member some passive income.

Am i right in saying that as the rent does not come to me, i do not need to notify hmrc of additional rental income? And i do not need to fill in...
                        28-05-2020, 06:32 AM
                        by AndrewDod
                        Agree with that. If they were a co-owner OP could agree to split the rent and expenses in some way. But not otherwise....
                        29-05-2020, 08:32 AM
                        by Section20z
                        I don't think you can just divert the income through another family member's account, that could be tax evasion....
                        28-05-2020, 21:42 PM
                      • Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                        by Another Fine Mess
                        I recently bought a house to rent out. Am I right in thinking that I should do two sets of accounts.
                        Account 1. CGT account, List the purchase price, solicitors fees, stamp duty, and all the repairs we had to do structurally, decorating, carpets, paint windows, etc So if the purchase price...
                        22-05-2020, 12:18 PM
                      • Reply to Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                        by theartfullodger
                        Good. But it may be an old edition not up to date with all current regulations. It's republished every year...
                        28-05-2020, 16:04 PM
                        by jpkeates
                        If you receive no income from the property you own, you don't have to pay income tax on it, no.
                        You may have to pay CGT when you sell it, if there is any significant increase in value.
                        28-05-2020, 15:57 PM
                      • Reply to Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                        by Always Problems
                        theartfullodger,

Thank you for the advice regarding the Tax.
                        I looked up the book you recommended and found one on eBay at £2 delivered and in it my query is answered.
                        28-05-2020, 15:09 PM
                        by Gordon999
                        The Director of the Ltd Company has to file annual returns to Companies House and to HMRC..

Visit Companies House website, use your company number to find company listing and check due date for filing tax returns . Can be fined if you fail to comply.
                        28-05-2020, 14:52 PM
                      • Sell my small garden to my limited company
                        by yanyan
                        I have a PPR property with a side garden that is suitable to build a house on. Can i set up a limited company and sell my garden to that company, at a commerial rate, to allow the limited company to build a rental property? The plot is less than 0.5 acre so assume I will avoid CGT on the sale? Can I...
                        27-05-2020, 15:32 PM
                      Working...
                      X