stamp duty liability in this situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stamp duty liability in this situation

Thanks in advance for any clarification anyone is able to give. This will make the difference between being able to register as a Red Cross volunteer - or not.

The situation : we own our own home and have lived in it for 30 years. We also own two other properties, bought as buy to lets and tenanted by tenants, never occupied by us.

For family reasons we've had to move from our owner-occupied home to one elsewhere in the country which we're renting, leaving our own home empty and for sale. (Plan is to buy in new location once old home sells. Have a buyer but nothing can proceed in current pandemic). Is there any disadvantage (in terms stamp duty liability or any other financial liability) in changing our main address/electoral register to that of our new, rented home before our own house sells?

After the move, the main residence was briefly let out on Airbnb, but obviously isn't now.

The problem has arisen because one of us has tried to register for the national volunteer army of helpers, but have just been told our identity cannot be verified - we're assuming that our current address - in the place we are able to volunteer- does not match our electoral register address).

Thanks again.

'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

There is a down side, but I'm not sure it's enough to stop you doing it.

The house you're selling would attract CGT for the period when it wasn't your main residence.
    And, as you're renting where you live, there's no offsetting that with a reduction in CGT for that property.
    That probably doesn't matter for a short period, but it is something.

If you're paying council tax on your new property, you should be on record locally.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you!
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X