Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tax rules 20/21

Hi,

I’m well aware of the new limits to private residence relief and that Lettings relief is being abolished from 20/21. We have therefore been working towards an exchange of the property we are selling before the end of the current tax year. Everything was set for it to happen until one of the solicitors got sick in corona and it now looks like it will be impossible to exchange before the end of next week. This has severe financial implications for us missing out on PRR and LR.

I have not found anything on the topic but does anyone know if there is any guidance on whether HMRC will allow an extension of the old tax rules due to the current crisis?

Many thanks.

I haven't seen anything about it.
    I would be putting a lot of pressure on getting that exchange done!
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I would suggest that you or your MP write a letter to the HMRC and Chancellor of the Exchequer asking for the new limits on PPR and LR to start from April 2021 due to the coronavirus lockdown..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to SPV Company Expenses and Accounts
        by TaxAntics
        Where refurbishment is on a like for like basis or does not add capital value, it should clearly fall within the remit of allowable repairs and maintenance expenditure. My firm prepare basic company accounts and CT600 returns starting from £600 depending on the level of work required.
        29-05-2020, 11:37 AM
      • SPV Company Expenses and Accounts
        by vadik.l
        Hello guys,
        I'm new in the landlord world and own one property under SPV company. The property I own requires modernisation before I even start thinking to let it out.

I have couple questions to experts:

1. My estimation refurb cost would be around £5k. Which would include...
        14-05-2020, 14:13 PM
      • Reply to Inheriting a property directly to a limited company
        by TaxAntics
        Property transferred upon death (as this effectively would be treated) does not attract SDLT unless consideration is paid and a deed of variation can be entered into so the property is transferred directly to a company.
        29-05-2020, 11:32 AM
      • Inheriting a property directly to a limited company
        by nick_noal
        Happy VE Day first and foremost 😁

A friend of mine‘s mother sadly passed away recently and he intends to rent out the property which he will inherit.

The life insurance pay out will clear the mortgage, so there shouldn’t be any complications with a lender.
        08-05-2020, 12:25 PM
      • Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
        by TaxAntics
        You should ensure that the family member is reporting the income; otherwise you could end up embroiled in a HMRC enquiry. HMRC have access to a lot of data and do open enquiries into those who own more than one property where it is believed that a property is let out. There can be issues with diverting...
        29-05-2020, 11:20 AM
      • Paying Tax and Documentation
        by Cotton
        My query is in two parts

1. I own a property in my personal name. I purchased this to give a family member some passive income.

Am i right in saying that as the rent does not come to me, i do not need to notify hmrc of additional rental income? And i do not need to fill in...
        28-05-2020, 06:32 AM
        by jpkeates
        It could be, it depends where the money ends up.
        Tax follows beneficial ownership, so if the relative is the landlord and receives all the rent and keeps it, the owner of the property isn't involved in the income.

If the income received benefits the owner financially in some way,...
        29-05-2020, 08:54 AM
        by AndrewDod
        Agree with that. If they were a co-owner OP could agree to split the rent and expenses in some way. But not otherwise....
        29-05-2020, 08:32 AM
        by Section20z
        I don't think you can just divert the income through another family member's account, that could be tax evasion....
        28-05-2020, 21:42 PM
      • Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
        by Another Fine Mess
        I recently bought a house to rent out. Am I right in thinking that I should do two sets of accounts.
        Account 1. CGT account, List the purchase price, solicitors fees, stamp duty, and all the repairs we had to do structurally, decorating, carpets, paint windows, etc So if the purchase price...
        22-05-2020, 12:18 PM
      Working...
      X