Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Landlord - Self Assessment Help

Hi Guys,

My wife and myself bought a property in December 2018. It needed repairs and other work such as:

1) A New roof (Tiles felt and battens) due to porous tiles
    2) A new kitchen as it was in a bad state of repair and no one would spruce it up
    3) A new bathroom, there was no bath and toilet didn't work etc and there now is
    4) New gas boiler as the existing oil boiler did not work
    5) General decoration throughout (carpets, paint etc)

The tenant then moved in in July 2019 so this is the start date I believe.

My wife and I intend to split the income so am I right in thinking we should each declare 50% of the income / expenses each?

Also I get rather confused about the mortgage interest rule, do you have any guidance on expenses or examples I could use at all? I am already registered self employed and normally do a return for my other work but I just wasn't 100% sure about how to add in this rental property. Any tips or advice would be amazing! I am afraid of missing sections or missing out on any allowable expenses. I would like to get it right as best as possible.

Thanks for your time

There are two types of expenses allowable for tax for a landlord, operational and capital.
    Operational expenses are allowed against income and capital expenses deducted from any capital gain for CGT on disposal.

A lot of the expenses that you have listed would be at least partially capital, because you cleary bought the property at a lower value because of it's condition and the work that was carried out increased the value of the asset.
    Some of the expenditure was repairs which are operational which are allowed against income.

So your first task is to break the costs into the correct category, and keep the workings because you'll need them a) when you dispose of the asset or b) to answer any queries that HMRC might have when they see an unusually large expense being claimed (although I've never heard of them querying such a claim myself).

If you and your wife both own the property and there's no explicit split that isn't 50:50, you can split the income and costs equally.

The mortgage interest rule looks complicated but it isn't really - except for the transitional phases, which are just a nuisance if you're starting out, because there's nothing that you are transitioning from.
    For the interest you have paid on the property, for 2019 - 20 you can take 25% and treat that as any other business expense, i.e. deduct it from the income before calculating the tax you owe.
    The other 75% is handled as it will all be next year.
    You work out how much tax you owe without including the 75% of the interest as an expense and then simply deduct the 75% value times the basic rate of tax.

So if you have £2,000 of interest, £500 is a normal business expense and is deducted before you calculate your tax, and £300 (£1,500*20%) is deducted from the tax you owe as a final step in the calculation.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for this very helpful post.

Ok, duly noted I will keep a note of what is capital and what is operational. Do you have a certain way of working out what percentage is capital on any given improvement. e.g the old kitchen that we couldn't source the same doors etc, so we had to do a nice new one to repair but naturally it also increases the value. Would it be fair to split this into 50% capital and 50% operational? same goes for bathroom?

You explained the mortgage interest relief really well, I totally get that now. Your calculation also highlights the massive disadvantage landlords now receive with the changes but I suppose we have a country to run

Many Thanks

Comment

The interest charge caught landlords who we standard rate payers, but close to the higher rate start point.

There's no rule of thumb for the split between capital and operational.
        There's a general understanding that a new version of something will increase the value, but can still be an operating cost.
        Replacing a 20 year old boiler with a new one would still be an operational expense.
        Same with a bathroom. If it starts of with a sink, toilet and shower and ends up with broadly the same set of facilities it's probably maintenance even if the shower is more of a wet room and it's all shiny and new.

From your description, it sounded as though the facilities weren't in the best of condition and I'd imagine the value of the property reflected that. So you might take a different approach and say that of the (made up figure) £15k of costs, £5k was your estimate of the reduction in the purchase price for the existing poor state of the property and so the £10k remainder was simply maintenance.

Or you could itemise specific improvement items - if the work tops were particularly good or the bath wasn't your normal B&Q level.

Or, as you say, a simple split.

It's an art form not a science.
        As long as you can explain your thinking, you'll be fine (unless you try and be too clever), chances are you'll never even be questioned about it/
        For most people, completing a tax return and telling HMRC about your additional rental income is reasonable evidence of honesty.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks this will really help us

Much appreciated and learning plenty this first time round.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• CGT evidence
            by PaulRs1
            Hi All,

I’m an accidental landlord and about to sell the house. Lived in it for 4 years and rented it out for 6 (with the intention of moving back, which never happened)

im aware I need to pay CGT and can claim improvement costs, I basically bought a wreck and renovated it...
            08-08-2020, 13:25 PM
          • Reply to CGT evidence
            by AndrewDod
            Most of those things are not capital expenses anyway. Your probably already claimed then as expenses against rental income. Painting a place which you then live in certainly is not a capital expense, not an improvement (in CGT terms). Building a wall where there was not one before is an example of an...
            09-08-2020, 23:25 PM
          • Can I Rent My Private BTLs to my own Ltd Company?
            by Crunchie
            I own 5 buy to let HMOs in my private name with mortgages and have to pay the higher rate of income tax. My properties are my only source of income.

Can I set up a Ltd Company and rent my properties to it for a rental that is less than the higher rate tax band, say £45,000 total? The tenants...
            09-08-2020, 20:25 PM
          • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
            by divadee
            Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
            07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
          • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
            by divadee
            We paid 18,000 for the freehold and had legal costs of approx 2k for the purchase. This was 4 years ago though. Can we still offset purchase price over income 4 years later?...
            09-08-2020, 20:20 PM
          • First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
            by Advice seeker
            Hi all

This might be a simple one, or not.

Can someone please advise if this seems correct?

For 2019-2020 I have the following on the HMRC form:

£9715 income
            £2558 total allowable expenses

Profit £7517

I believe mortgage...
            15-07-2020, 20:04 PM
          • Reply to First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
            by Advice seeker
            Thanks JP, good to know.

Does it make a difference I have never actually lived there?

In a nutshell, was family home, to keep certain over sentimental family members happy, it wasn't touched for ten years, literally, until the council threatened a forced purchased. Even when...
            09-08-2020, 15:46 PM
          • Reply to CGT evidence
            by Gordon999
            Since you live in the house for 4 years plus you can claim 9 months after moving out as your main residence period = roughly 5 years .

You will have to pay cgt for last 5 years whilst under rental . I suggest you pay for a "high valuation" for your property in Aug 2015...
            09-08-2020, 11:40 AM
          • Reply to First time self assessment calculation before submittnig?
            by jpkeates
            You sound to have about £300,000 in gain, spread over 21 years, with 11 of them in a business.
            You can feed the values into any CGT calculator around, but the CGT is likely to be £40-44k.

The longer it stays in the business, the lower the proportion of CGT will be (but the gain...
            09-08-2020, 09:46 AM
          • Reply to Self assessement questions
            by Logical.Lean
            It's 3750 each, if the house is jointly owned.

I've just read the gov.uk guidance, and I'd misread it before.

right I'll ignore it....
            09-08-2020, 08:14 AM
          Working...
          X