Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Landlord - Self Assessment Help

Hi Guys,

My wife and myself bought a property in December 2018. It needed repairs and other work such as:

1) A New roof (Tiles felt and battens) due to porous tiles
    2) A new kitchen as it was in a bad state of repair and no one would spruce it up
    3) A new bathroom, there was no bath and toilet didn't work etc and there now is
    4) New gas boiler as the existing oil boiler did not work
    5) General decoration throughout (carpets, paint etc)

The tenant then moved in in July 2019 so this is the start date I believe.

My wife and I intend to split the income so am I right in thinking we should each declare 50% of the income / expenses each?

Also I get rather confused about the mortgage interest rule, do you have any guidance on expenses or examples I could use at all? I am already registered self employed and normally do a return for my other work but I just wasn't 100% sure about how to add in this rental property. Any tips or advice would be amazing! I am afraid of missing sections or missing out on any allowable expenses. I would like to get it right as best as possible.

Thanks for your time

There are two types of expenses allowable for tax for a landlord, operational and capital.
    Operational expenses are allowed against income and capital expenses deducted from any capital gain for CGT on disposal.

A lot of the expenses that you have listed would be at least partially capital, because you cleary bought the property at a lower value because of it's condition and the work that was carried out increased the value of the asset.
    Some of the expenditure was repairs which are operational which are allowed against income.

So your first task is to break the costs into the correct category, and keep the workings because you'll need them a) when you dispose of the asset or b) to answer any queries that HMRC might have when they see an unusually large expense being claimed (although I've never heard of them querying such a claim myself).

If you and your wife both own the property and there's no explicit split that isn't 50:50, you can split the income and costs equally.

The mortgage interest rule looks complicated but it isn't really - except for the transitional phases, which are just a nuisance if you're starting out, because there's nothing that you are transitioning from.
    For the interest you have paid on the property, for 2019 - 20 you can take 25% and treat that as any other business expense, i.e. deduct it from the income before calculating the tax you owe.
    The other 75% is handled as it will all be next year.
    You work out how much tax you owe without including the 75% of the interest as an expense and then simply deduct the 75% value times the basic rate of tax.

So if you have £2,000 of interest, £500 is a normal business expense and is deducted before you calculate your tax, and £300 (£1,500*20%) is deducted from the tax you owe as a final step in the calculation.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for this very helpful post.

Ok, duly noted I will keep a note of what is capital and what is operational. Do you have a certain way of working out what percentage is capital on any given improvement. e.g the old kitchen that we couldn't source the same doors etc, so we had to do a nice new one to repair but naturally it also increases the value. Would it be fair to split this into 50% capital and 50% operational? same goes for bathroom?

You explained the mortgage interest relief really well, I totally get that now. Your calculation also highlights the massive disadvantage landlords now receive with the changes but I suppose we have a country to run

Many Thanks

Comment

The interest charge caught landlords who we standard rate payers, but close to the higher rate start point.

There's no rule of thumb for the split between capital and operational.
        There's a general understanding that a new version of something will increase the value, but can still be an operating cost.
        Replacing a 20 year old boiler with a new one would still be an operational expense.
        Same with a bathroom. If it starts of with a sink, toilet and shower and ends up with broadly the same set of facilities it's probably maintenance even if the shower is more of a wet room and it's all shiny and new.

From your description, it sounded as though the facilities weren't in the best of condition and I'd imagine the value of the property reflected that. So you might take a different approach and say that of the (made up figure) £15k of costs, £5k was your estimate of the reduction in the purchase price for the existing poor state of the property and so the £10k remainder was simply maintenance.

Or you could itemise specific improvement items - if the work tops were particularly good or the bath wasn't your normal B&Q level.

Or, as you say, a simple split.

It's an art form not a science.
        As long as you can explain your thinking, you'll be fine (unless you try and be too clever), chances are you'll never even be questioned about it/
        For most people, completing a tax return and telling HMRC about your additional rental income is reasonable evidence of honesty.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks this will really help us

Much appreciated and learning plenty this first time round.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tax with 30 days
            by AndrewDod
            If they want to make laws they need to make sure they have the brains and skills to implement them.

So I left reporting CGT until the very last day (today) - as is my right.

When I tried to log in to the government gateway it told me I now need extra authentication. I chose...
            13-08-2020, 16:12 PM
          • Reply to Tax with 30 days
            by Stew
            They clearly don't want your money ...
            13-08-2020, 23:00 PM
          • Capital Gains Tax
            by Connor0431
            Hi all,

Small query

I’m looking to sell my rental property in the next few months however I wanted to understand CGT tax.

I have recently got married in the past month and as part of this would I be able to take into account married couple allowance for CGT?...
            13-08-2020, 11:39 AM
          • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
            by Section20z
            Plus quite likely another 10% saving on the wife's share of the gain (28%-18%)...
            13-08-2020, 22:29 PM
            by Kape65
            I believe transfers between spouses are a perfectly legal and allowed method of reducing tax.
            13-08-2020, 20:32 PM
          • First year tax for a newbie landlord
            by rag-uk
            Hi all, I'm new to the forums as I'm a new "accidental" landlord so was wondering if somebody could advise on allowable expenses prior to my first tenants moving in. I've tried searching the net but seem to get lots of conflicting info in this "grey area".

Basically,...
            13-08-2020, 16:13 PM
          • Reply to First year tax for a newbie landlord
            by jpucng62
            Basically anything that is done in order to (and exclusively for) renting out the property is allowable. Receipts are not necessary (although desirable) - proof of the payment should be fine. Sort you proofs now & keep them in case you are challenged (very unlikely!). Remember you must declared...
            13-08-2020, 19:54 PM
            by jpucng62
            I was told by a solicitor that if HMRC believes you have altered ownership to evade tax they can ignore the gift and tax you on it all anyway.

Remember that the extra CGT is 18% or 28% of £12.300 (£2214 or £3444) - sometimes you just have to accept that there is tax to pay. ...
            13-08-2020, 19:48 PM
          • Reply to Tax with 30 days
            by Kape65
            Well you're screwed now, might as well leave it another few months and try again
            13-08-2020, 18:21 PM
            by Kape65
            And don't forget the SDLT that may be payable on the transfer, especially painful if she already owns a share in another property such as the matrimonial home.
            13-08-2020, 18:16 PM
          Working...
          X