Implications of Gifting a % of Property

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Implications of Gifting a % of Property


    My main residence is unencumbered. I am thinking ahead (with the thought of the 7 year rule on inheritance tax).

    If I gift my son 50% of my property now - would I still be OK to live in the house?

    Would there be any immediate tax consequences of gifting him 50% now? My son is nearly 21.

    Many thanks

    If you gift land to your son and continue to live there, it's a "gift with reservation" and remains part of your estate for tax purposes.
    There's an exception if you pay your son market rate rent, or you both live in the property together.

    If you want to pass the property to your son while living there without them or paying rent, you need some kind of trust to pass the property into to work past the reservation.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Thanks JP. I am thinking of gifting him 50%, he will still be living with me for a few years.

      My biggest concern is that if he marries and then divorces etc - how that would affect me!


        That's another reason to use a trust,
        The trust becomes the beneficial owner of the property, so it moves out of your estate for income tax purposes (over seven years).

        You and your son would be the beneficiaries of the trust, so should anything happen to either of you, the trust would cease to have a purpose and the survivor would be able to own all of it.
        The additional benefit is that the trust also prevents any of your hard earned wealth leaving the family as a result of a divorce, rash gift, badly worded will, substance or gambling addiction on the part of your son (who I am sure wouldn't seem likely to do any of these things, but it happens).
        It also protects your son from the same events befalling you.

        You need proper legal advice here, though, ideally with your son present.
        It's bog-standard family solicitor stuff - and they'll also be able to make sure your wills are sympathetic to the arrangement.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).



          That's lovely, thank you so much!


            The IHT tax rate of 40% tax rate is currently charged on the estate value exceeding £325K ( first £325K is free of IHT tax ) . The £325K starting level for IHT tax may be raised to £500K level, if the family home is left to children of the deceased person.


            The OTS ( Office of Tax Simplification) has made proposals for reducing IHT tax rate ( to 20% or less ) but such proposals may not be acceptable to Government.


              Things to consider:

              Think carefully before giving assets away as you do not know what the future holds.

              If you put an asset into trust or give it away as part of a tax planning exercise you are going to lose control over it.

              If you have fears about what may happen to an asset if you give it way bear in mind that there has to come a point when it is vested in someone who will have abosolute control over it. If you want someone to benefit from your wealth before you die consider whether you should just give it to them.

              It is perfectly possible to ensure that your estate passes to whomever you want it to if you have your will professionally drafted. Also bear in mind that a will can be changed to reflect changing circumstances, but a gift or trust is final.

              It is unwise to go DIY with tax planning. If your estate is large enough to warrant tax planning you can afford professional advice. If you are thinking of doing a specific thing it needs to be considered having regard to your overall position and also that of the intended beneficiary.


                To answer your question - Capital gains tax is exempt on capital gains from disposal of main residence.

                So gifting 50% of your current home ( main residence ) to your son will be free of sdlt and cgt. You can continue to stay in the property without paying rent because you still own half.

                ( You should check with a conveyancing solicitor and accountant before you proceed.)


                Latest Activity


                • Reply to CGT after selling my main residence
                  by AndrewDod
                  It doesn't have to be let out.

                  If OP lives in house for 5 years, then finds another primary residence (declared as such, or based on the facts) and then sells original house 2 years later, CGT would be payable on 2/7ths of the gain.

                  If the OP had owned and lived in the house...
                  02-07-2020, 17:03 PM
                • CGT after selling my main residence
                  by Echoes
                  Hi there
                  First of all thanks in advance for your reply. I would really appreciate if you can calify some of my confusion.

                  I have few queries regarding selling my main residence which would impact on how much CGT I would pay...

                  1. I am buying a new house to live so...
                  02-07-2020, 14:14 PM
                • Reply to Stamp Duty on Freehold House subject to long leases; merge title?
                  by Gordon999
                  Flats must remain under leasehold title or the next buyer will have difficulty finding a mortgage.

                  sdlt is payable on residential property transfers for £190k property , it is 2% on the amount above £125K. i.e 2% of £65K.= £1300.

                  If you already have a property registered...
                  02-07-2020, 15:25 PM
                • Stamp Duty on Freehold House subject to long leases; merge title?
                  by carolem
                  Am interested in buying freehold house which is divided into 2 flats, both let out on AST. G
                  round floor flat is held under the terms of a Lease dated the 11 November 1987 granted for the term of 999 years from the 1st February 1987 and the first floor flat is held under the terms of a Lease dated the
                  Should Nelson Mandela's statute remain?
                  Should death penalty's reintroduction be subject to public referendum?
                  02-07-2020, 10:02 AM
                • Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit
                  by cadence248
                  Good afternoon all,

                  I've been getting to grips with the changes to landlord's tax relief over the last few years. One thing that worries me considerably is that since all rental income is now taxed, and I must pay my loan interest and repayments out of this also, that really doesn't leave...
                  02-07-2020, 15:11 PM
                • Reply to CGT after selling my main residence
                  by jpkeates
                  If you have lived in your main residence since you bought it, there's no CGT on the sale.

                  If you let it out, CGT would be applicable on the period it was let less 9 months (so if you let it for less than 9 months before selling it, there would be no CGT to pay.

                  You will need...
                  02-07-2020, 14:59 PM
                • Returning from oversea landlord taxation
                  by LAN45

                  I have been living abroad and paied rental income taxes, according to legislation, to HMRC as oversea landlord.

                  ue to recent developments I'm moving back to UK looking for a job and would like to understand how to handle paying taxes? I will have no further income for...
                  22-06-2020, 12:15 PM
                • Reply to Returning from oversea landlord taxation
                  by LAN45
                  Thank you....
                  02-07-2020, 14:19 PM
                • Tax Return - HELP!
                  by Brian862107
                  Does anyone know of any good online tutorials/guides for filling out your self-assessment tax return? I don't know about you's but I hate filling out forms (they always ask you to tick a box to say the information you've put in is correct too!!)!

                  This is my first year filling out the self-assessment...
                  01-07-2020, 15:51 PM
                • Reply to Tax Return - HELP!
                  by jpkeates
                  I'd include the 12th month.

                  While you're correct that the income fell into the 2018/19 tax year, you didn't declare it then, which is could trigger a fine and a penalty.
                  It probably won't, but you need to be very careful with your tax - getting on the wrong side of HMRC is a lifetime...
                  02-07-2020, 08:51 AM