Implications of Gifting a % of Property

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Implications of Gifting a % of Property


    My main residence is unencumbered. I am thinking ahead (with the thought of the 7 year rule on inheritance tax).

    If I gift my son 50% of my property now - would I still be OK to live in the house?

    Would there be any immediate tax consequences of gifting him 50% now? My son is nearly 21.

    Many thanks

    If you gift land to your son and continue to live there, it's a "gift with reservation" and remains part of your estate for tax purposes.
    There's an exception if you pay your son market rate rent, or you both live in the property together.

    If you want to pass the property to your son while living there without them or paying rent, you need some kind of trust to pass the property into to work past the reservation.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Thanks JP. I am thinking of gifting him 50%, he will still be living with me for a few years.

      My biggest concern is that if he marries and then divorces etc - how that would affect me!


        That's another reason to use a trust,
        The trust becomes the beneficial owner of the property, so it moves out of your estate for income tax purposes (over seven years).

        You and your son would be the beneficiaries of the trust, so should anything happen to either of you, the trust would cease to have a purpose and the survivor would be able to own all of it.
        The additional benefit is that the trust also prevents any of your hard earned wealth leaving the family as a result of a divorce, rash gift, badly worded will, substance or gambling addiction on the part of your son (who I am sure wouldn't seem likely to do any of these things, but it happens).
        It also protects your son from the same events befalling you.

        You need proper legal advice here, though, ideally with your son present.
        It's bog-standard family solicitor stuff - and they'll also be able to make sure your wills are sympathetic to the arrangement.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).



          That's lovely, thank you so much!


            The IHT tax rate of 40% tax rate is currently charged on the estate value exceeding £325K ( first £325K is free of IHT tax ) . The £325K starting level for IHT tax may be raised to £500K level, if the family home is left to children of the deceased person.


            The OTS ( Office of Tax Simplification) has made proposals for reducing IHT tax rate ( to 20% or less ) but such proposals may not be acceptable to Government.


              Things to consider:

              Think carefully before giving assets away as you do not know what the future holds.

              If you put an asset into trust or give it away as part of a tax planning exercise you are going to lose control over it.

              If you have fears about what may happen to an asset if you give it way bear in mind that there has to come a point when it is vested in someone who will have abosolute control over it. If you want someone to benefit from your wealth before you die consider whether you should just give it to them.

              It is perfectly possible to ensure that your estate passes to whomever you want it to if you have your will professionally drafted. Also bear in mind that a will can be changed to reflect changing circumstances, but a gift or trust is final.

              It is unwise to go DIY with tax planning. If your estate is large enough to warrant tax planning you can afford professional advice. If you are thinking of doing a specific thing it needs to be considered having regard to your overall position and also that of the intended beneficiary.


                To answer your question - Capital gains tax is exempt on capital gains from disposal of main residence.

                So gifting 50% of your current home ( main residence ) to your son will be free of sdlt and cgt. You can continue to stay in the property without paying rent because you still own half.

                ( You should check with a conveyancing solicitor and accountant before you proceed.)


                Latest Activity


                • Inheriting a property directly to a limited company
                  by nick_noal
                  Happy VE Day first and foremost 😁

                  A friend of mine‘s mother sadly passed away recently and he intends to rent out the property which he will inherit.

                  The life insurance pay out will clear the mortgage, so there shouldn’t be any complications with a lender.
                  08-05-2020, 12:25 PM
                • Reply to Inheriting a property directly to a limited company
                  by TaxAntics
                  Property transferred upon death (as this effectively would be treated) does not attract SDLT unless consideration is paid and a deed of variation can be entered into so the property is transferred directly to a company.
                  29-05-2020, 11:32 AM
                • Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
                  by TaxAntics
                  You should ensure that the family member is reporting the income; otherwise you could end up embroiled in a HMRC enquiry. HMRC have access to a lot of data and do open enquiries into those who own more than one property where it is believed that a property is let out. There can be issues with diverting...
                  29-05-2020, 11:20 AM
                • Paying Tax and Documentation
                  by Cotton
                  My query is in two parts

                  1. I own a property in my personal name. I purchased this to give a family member some passive income.

                  Am i right in saying that as the rent does not come to me, i do not need to notify hmrc of additional rental income? And i do not need to fill in...
                  28-05-2020, 06:32 AM
                • Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
                  by jpkeates
                  It could be, it depends where the money ends up.
                  Tax follows beneficial ownership, so if the relative is the landlord and receives all the rent and keeps it, the owner of the property isn't involved in the income.

                  If the income received benefits the owner financially in some way,...
                  29-05-2020, 08:54 AM
                • Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
                  by AndrewDod
                  Agree with that. If they were a co-owner OP could agree to split the rent and expenses in some way. But not otherwise....
                  29-05-2020, 08:32 AM
                • Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
                  by Section20z
                  I don't think you can just divert the income through another family member's account, that could be tax evasion....
                  28-05-2020, 21:42 PM
                • Reply to Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                  by theartfullodger
                  Good. But it may be an old edition not up to date with all current regulations. It's republished every year...
                  28-05-2020, 16:04 PM
                • Keeping records for CGT and rental income separate ?
                  by Another Fine Mess
                  I recently bought a house to rent out. Am I right in thinking that I should do two sets of accounts.
                  Account 1. CGT account, List the purchase price, solicitors fees, stamp duty, and all the repairs we had to do structurally, decorating, carpets, paint windows, etc So if the purchase price...
                  22-05-2020, 12:18 PM
                • Reply to Paying Tax and Documentation
                  by jpkeates
                  If you receive no income from the property you own, you don't have to pay income tax on it, no.
                  You may have to pay CGT when you sell it, if there is any significant increase in value.
                  28-05-2020, 15:57 PM