CGT on Buy to Let Property Sale with Lease Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT on Buy to Let Property Sale with Lease Extension

I bought an apartment, with 45 years unexpired lease, for £69000 in 2014. In 2017 I extended the lease by 90 years, at an overall cost (premium and fees) of about £25000. I sold the property in September 2019 for £126000.

I hope to offset the cost of the lease extension (£25k) against the CGT due. I also hope to offset against CGT the estate agents and solicitors fees for the sale.

Given that I'm a basic rate taxpayer, and I understand my personal CG allowance for 2019/20 was £12000, I wonder how much should I budget for CGT on this sale in the next tax year?
    Also interested in whether I'm likely to be able to complete my tax return for these circumstances online. Or whether I'm likely to need to contact my local tax office and enter into direct communication with them.

Any thoughts or experience on this much appreciated.

The cost of the lease extension is allowable against the gain, so your gain is £32,000.
    Don't forget that any other costs associated with the purchase and sale - like SDLT, conveyancing fees, estate agent commission are also allowable,

The issue is usually whether the gain knocks you into the higher tax band, so the CGT is 28% not 18% - which depends on your other income.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you.

Re: '
      The issue is usually whether the gain knocks you into the higher tax band, so the CGT is 28% not 18% - which depends on your other income.
      '

So would the capital gain be taxed as though it were income in just the tax year the property was sold, then added to my other income?
      Even though the capital gain has actually been made over a five year period?

Comment

Yes, you add the taxable gain to your income in the year of disposal.
        The guide here is quite helpful - https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/rates
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks again, that’s very useful.

Anyone any thoughts on whether I can process this through usual online self assessment tax return process? Or whether direct contact with Inland Revenue needed?

Comment

Originally posted by clarrieblue View Post
            Anyone any thoughts on whether I can process this through usual online self assessment tax return process? Or whether direct contact with Inland Revenue needed?
            If it's already happened, it goes on your next self assessment return.
            The rules change in April, and, after that, it's a separate declaration and payment within 30 days of completion.

Comment

Thanks, yes it's already happened, so it'll go on my next self assessment.
              Given it's more complex than usual, I'm thinking of submitting that early next tax year, say by May. Allow plenty of time for queries, discussion, etc. Under current self assessment rules I still have until January 2021 to pay my tax bill.
              I'm a bit concerned about whether the one off premium for extending the lease will be deductible from the overall profit on the sale. Of course, without spending that premium, the flat would have been a much lower sale price and difficult to sell at all.

Comment

You won't get any queries, trust me, HMRC are delighted when people pay tax.

Don't worry, the lease extension is deductable.
                It's a capital expense, and it was made solely and exclusively to increase the value of a business asset.

Comment

That's reassuring. Thanks again for your replies.

Comment

Apologies for jumping in but currently extending the lease on a BTL that we expect to have for at least the next 15 years. Can the lease extension costs be offset in a normal SA year or can they only be offset against CGT when property is sold? Thanks

Comment

It's a capital expense and is allowable against the gain.
                      It's not allowable against income.

Comment

*It's a capital expense and is allowable against the gain.
                        It's not allowable against income.*

Thank you

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Travel expenses
                          by shoobydoo
                          I may be misunderstanding this Hamilton Fraser guide (see excerpt below) but are self-employed landlords allowed to claim travel expenses or not? Thanks.

"A self-employed landlord can claim some of these – the costs of travel with your own vehicle and working from home – using ‘simplified...
                          28-02-2021, 13:08 PM
                        • Reply to Travel expenses
                          by shoobydoo
                          Thank you for your replies. The guide was for this tax year, so I just thought I had missed some changes in HMRC legislation!
                          28-02-2021, 15:06 PM
                          by jpkeates
                          I agree with the above.
                          A rental property is not a regular place of work in that sense.

As long as the travel is wholly and exclusively for your business, it can be treated as an allowable expense.
                          28-02-2021, 15:03 PM
                          by AndrewDod
                          As far as I am concerned the advice you are reading is bull. You can claim all mileage. A rental property is not your regular place of work which applies to fixed PAYE jobs. A freelance teacher who travels to the homes of various students can claim all the costs of her travel. It's a cost....
                          28-02-2021, 14:41 PM
                          by shoobydoo
                          So I cannot claim mileage for doing quarterly inspections or annual gas safety certificates etc as these would be considered "predictable" but diy is ok because it is unpredictable in nature?
                          28-02-2021, 14:13 PM
                          by Gordon999
                          If you do diy repairs to your BTL property, you can claim mileage allowance for using car to take tools and repair materials to the property or to visit property to change the door lock or check new keys are cut correctly.
                          28-02-2021, 13:29 PM
                        • Default Property Sale - CGT - Non resident Tax Payer
                          by ChloeRadshaw
                          This thread will try to understand better the rules around property disposal for non UK tax payers.

Background:
                          Property bought in 2006 for 240K - Now worth 500K. I am non tax resident in the UK and this has always been a BTL rented out

Problem
                          I have 260K CGT
                          05-11-2020, 16:46 PM
                        • Reply to Default Property Sale - CGT - Non resident Tax Payer
                          by Gordon999
                          The tax rules could change before 2025 because the Chancellor has urgent need to raise tax revenue to cover Covid -19 epidemic costs and an estimated £300 Bil deficit. You should expect capital gains tax rates to be higher in future.

If your capital gain is low say £20K , you would...
                          28-02-2021, 13:21 PM
                        • Reply to Tax for renew lease
                          by jimmylau8080
                          The freehold company was owned by a pension investment company. After we purchased it, they will transfer our share of the freehold to all flat owners (Half of us, including me, have this as a private resident). According to them, we need to pay because we are freeholders now. Isn't correct?...
                          28-02-2021, 11:56 AM
                        • Tax for renew lease
                          by jimmylau8080
                          I going to receive my new 999-year lease with no ground rent payable is given to the leaseholder, after I paid around £7,000 to extend my current flat from 89 years lease to a 999-year lease with no ground rent payable.

I received a piece of advice that there are income tax implications....
                          28-02-2021, 10:50 AM
                        Working...
                        X