property income lower than tax return threshold - what details?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

property income lower than tax return threshold - what details?

Hi

The HMRC say that if your property income after expenses is less than £2500 then you can simply "tell them" what that income is. Do they mean a full breakdown like a tax return or simply just a number (as it seems to imply)

e.g. Dear Sirs, I had additional income from property for the tax year x to x which after allowable expenses and mortgage tax credit was was £2000"

Or, Dear Sirs, I had additional income from property for the tax year x to x which is detailed in the calculations below: [then list the following] rental, loss carried forward, mortgage interest, insurance, plumber call out, etc. etc., leaving £2000 which after the £50% tax credit for interest only mortgage payments means I owe £xxx, please send me a bill"

???????
    The person I spoke to just said to send details but when I asked if I should include the 50% tax credit I don;t think he understood....

Thanks

B

Even on a tax return you just give a number. So your first paragraph is not correct.

The sting is that if you get audited (as with a tax return) and you have told porky pies, you get severely punished for a long time. Bear in mind that they know a lot about you already, so you don't take chances with these people.

Comment

When you first tell HMRC that you have a new source of income, they're meant to agree with you (i.e. tell you) how you're going to report it.

I'd call again and confirm that you have a new form of income and would like to know how to report it to them.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks. I called them again: person 1 "i don't know", person 2 "you don't get a tax credit on the remainder of the mortgage interest tax relief", person 3 "send us your: gross profit, total expenses, mortgage costs and we'll work out the tax credit from that"

Seems clear except I am now unsure if he meant gross income (though he did say several times gross profit)... I should have checked but I had mental fatigue by then!

Gross profit in HMRC rental terms would be.........?????????

Comment

Is the property income your only taxable income?
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Let's cut through this. Sometimes it is easier to just fill in a tax return. It's not hard - and even if you don't meet rules requiring you to complete one, they won't prevent you from doing so.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. In answer:
              No I have other income but am nowhere near the 40% income tax band, hence the end of tax relief on the mortgage won't affect me as I get the full credit back.
              Yes next time maybe I will do a tax return instead, but if I do one now then I will get a fine, whereas just declaring income I don't get a fine.

Thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice
                by jhoggard
                Hi,

I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
                20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by SouthernDave
                I started my limited company a year before buying the first property, then bought a second 2 months later, a third 3 months after that, a fourth 5 months after that and so on to where I am now. Our lenders have never said they want a separate company per property. Ive never heard of that, if it were...
                23-01-2022, 17:40 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by jpkeates
                I don't think we disagree.

The OP has one property and is looking to buy a second.
                At that point in that business, lenders will want a company per property.

There's a point where that ceases to be the case, when the portfolio gets big enough, or, presumably when someone...
                23-01-2022, 17:34 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by SouthernDave
                i concur with this, once you get over 4 properties, they consider you to be a portfolio landlord and want to start seeing cashflow forecasts before lending to make sure the company is buoyant. Directors guarantees each time but no limits on number of properties or number of dofferent lenders....
                23-01-2022, 16:50 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by JamesHopeful
                This is not true in my experience. I currently have eight properties in the same company, across a number of different mainstream BTL lenders, and none of them have batted an eyelid at the number.

Where I have known lenders worry about the company is it doesn't have the correct SIC code...
                23-01-2022, 16:28 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by theartfullodger
                Depends to a great degree on tax regulations over the coming years. We only know what the rules are today, not what they'll be in future e.g. when you retire

I expect chancellors to cut back on the advantages of people owning property through companies (well, wouldn't you if you were chancellor)...
                22-01-2022, 13:06 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by Gordon999
                1. No. You have not sold the property yet

2. 19% on profit by company.

3. Seek advice from accountant.
                22-01-2022, 09:36 AM
              • haring inherited property
                by halfax
                i am inheriting a property and would like to place half in my grandsons name.
                as anyone done similar?...
                19-01-2022, 18:12 PM
              • Reply to haring inherited property
                by halfax
                thanks for help to everyone who replied, great forum
                21-01-2022, 18:55 PM
              • Reply to Looking for tax / financial advice for a BTL /holiday let long-held portfolio
                by ifallelsefails
                I watched a webinar from Landlord studio and this man Tony Gimple was featured in it. Have a look at his Linkedin profile:
                https://www.linkedin.com/in/tonygimp...alSubdomain=uk
                He has a website whereby he consults exactly to your situation:
                https://www.bel.gb.net/
                21-01-2022, 17:13 PM
              Working...
              X