VAT invoices for commercial conveyancing and funding costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT invoices for commercial conveyancing and funding costs

I have incurred purchase costs (mainly professional fees from solicitors and lender) on a commercial property which is opted for tax. I registered for VAT in order to buy this property. Because it is opted for tax, I can reclaim VAT on expenses.

I presume this means I need to request VAT invoices from solicitor, lender, etc? They don't normally issue them in my experience. (That said, my previous experience before has been as an non-VAT registered entity.) Presumably they must provide on request?
    There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

If the suppliers of those services are registered for VAT, their invoices would have to have VAT on them already.
    Whether VAT is shown on an invoice is determined by the issuer not the recipient.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks.

I have now requested and received VAT invoices from the solicitors. I don't think these are normally provided by default. In previous transactions I don't recall being issued an invoice ; just a quotation beforehand and a completion statement at the end.
      There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

That's interesting - I've also never seen a VAT breakout on a solicitors completion statement and assumed (maybe wrongly) that they weren't charging VAT.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X