tax offset from loan to finance BTL flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax offset from loan to finance BTL flat

15 years ago, I purchased a BTL property for £300k and financed this with £130K re-mortgage against my home and a £170k BTL 20 year interest only mortgage, (my home mortgage is also an interest only).
    For the past 15 years I have been claiming tax relief on both mortgages, to offset my costs (subject to the new interest rate changers introduced in 2017).
    I have now moved and my new mortgage, with a new provider is now reduced to £100k and is also interest only.
    My question is whether I can still offset my reduced home mortgage costs against my BTL flat as before, my understanding is that I can, as the £130k loan I took out is still implicit in my new mortgage although reduced by £30k.

I have two BTL interest only mortgage, which are coming to an end and I need to find another provider.
    Unfortunately, the LTV has changed considerably as the flats have reduced in value and in order to fund another decent mortgage rate I will have to reduce the mortgage amount by £65000 from my savings to get the LTV to 75%.
    My question is regarding the tax implications of the £65,000, I am assuming that this will be deducted from my capital gains calculations when I sell the flats, but can I also claim any tax relief?

Comment

Yes to your first question re offsetting against new mortgage.
      Capital gains tax is unaffected by how the property is financed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X