Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    An ordinary power of attorney, whether general or specific, is really no more than an authority to sign documents on behalf of the donor of the power. As between donor and attorney the attorney is only authorised to do what the donor tells him he can do. Someone dealing with an attorney is however not put on enquiry as to what the attorney is authorised to do except to the extent of reading the power of attorney.

A lasting power of attorney gives the attorney power to make decisions for the donor.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Is your mother fully of sound mind and mentally healthy now? If not, the time scale is infinite and it is too late (you will need to get courts involved).

Leave a comment:

• Mr A S
    replied
    Thank you for the quick uptake & your insight
    Yes I fully intend to have a professional draw up the document

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr A S View Post
    How long does it take to set up an ordinary power of attorney..
    No more that five minutes. A general power of attorney form is very short. You can find it here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/27/schedule/1 It needs to be executed as a deed

Originally posted by Mr A S View Post
    The purpose is just for me to take care & be responsible for one piece of my mothers business.
    If you want the power to be expressed to be for one purpose only (as opposed to using a general power for one purpose only) you probably need to get it professionally drawn up to make sure it covers everything.

Whether the power is general or specific it takes effect as soon as executed. Registration is not required.

Leave a comment:

• Mr A S
    replied
    My mother owns the property but subject to a life interest in favor of my late fathers business P and she owns a 50% shareholding in a company with my late fathers business partner also. That company still is operational in the building, but the lease has expired.
    My parents have already lost out on a piece of property to this man & my mother is vulnerable
    We have a mechanism that could solve the company & the life interest the problem is he wants a lease and he wants to negotiate a lease while the life interest is in the building
    but we would just want to solve the current situation and put our own business into the building he is not as interested in prolonging the situation if he is not dealing with our mother
    So maybe an ordinary power of attorney.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Mr A S,

Who owns the property?
    Why would anyone be able to "occupy" it without permission?

Leave a comment:

• Mr A S
    replied
    everyone is local

Leave a comment:

• Mr A S
    replied
    Okay
    Can I create a Deed of trust to prevent a particular individual occupy my Mothers commercial property & that i her son would be notified.
    I don't have a legal interest in this property.
    Long story My parents lost out to a piece of property already with a man & my father has died from a serious case of dementia since.
    Does the landlord need to be the owner?
    Could it be possible to be given the power to act in this particular instance,
    Previously I had a complete Power of attorney of my late father
    However that was almost 2 years ago

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Last time I was involved in a financial power of attorney it took about 3 weeks.
    Most of the elapsed time was getting the right people together to sign things, mostly the solicitor.

If everyone is local, it could be done in a shorter period of time,

Leave a comment:

• Mr A S
    started a topic Ordinary power of attorney

Ordinary power of attorney

Hi,
    How long does it take to set up an ordinary power of attorney.
    I know an enduring power attorney takes 12 months in my experience.
    The purpose is just for me to take care & be responsible for one piece of my mothers business.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Another new kitchen and bathroom story- CGT
    by Celibin
    We have replaced the above (30 years old) prior to first let. The kitchen had to be done as the cooker(Free standing) was dangerous Ie very old Being 58 cm wide it was not possible to find a new one that would fit between the units without leaving quite a gap. Also hard to find new shelves for the interior...
    16-01-2021, 06:40 AM
  • Tax expense dates?
    by ben100
    Ok so I have a spreadsheet that goes from April to March for the tax year. I have direct debit for a taxable expense that goes out each month. The direct debit for the April month the following year after the last March on my spreasheet went out on the 1st of April. I know the tax year goes up to the...
    15-01-2021, 11:14 AM
  • Reply to Tax expense dates?
    by Gordon999
    Ben100/

How much did providing damp proof coarse cost ? for your semi -detach house or terrace house ?
    16-01-2021, 05:35 AM
  • Ir???
    by GrumpMonkey
    Hello,

I recall there used to be a tax rule that allowed property finance interest for tax purposes to be no more than the interest on the purchase price of the property. If the finance was less than the value of the property, other property interest could be used to make up the shortfall,...
    15-01-2021, 20:48 PM
  • Reply to Ir???
    by Gordon999
    Prior to 6 April 2016, all interest paid on mortgage loans corresponding up to 100% of market value was an "allowable expense" against rental income .

Now this "allowable expense of claiming total interest" no longer exists and now has it been reduced to 20%...
    16-01-2021, 05:30 AM
  • CGT on investments
    by desamax
    Hi all I’m looking for some tax advice. I bought a commercial property in 1990, in 2016 I remortgaged the property to fund another commercial outright and a deposit on a BTL. I have sold the first commercial property and payed the mortgage off.
    Do I have to pay CGT on the full amount of the...
    14-01-2021, 18:32 PM
  • Reply to CGT on investments
    by Gordon999
    It seems the requirement to report capital gains within 30days from sale applies only to residential property,

https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax...ital-gains-tax
    16-01-2021, 05:05 AM
    by desamax
    Before I send him his P45, are you certain the 30 day rule applies to commercial properties?...
    15-01-2021, 22:12 PM
    by AndrewDod
    If you accountant informs you differently feel free to fire them. This is bread and butter stuff. And get a move on - the 30 day clock is ticking...
    15-01-2021, 19:43 PM
    by desamax
    Thanks, I was hoping to after paying back the remortgage, reinvest the whole balance in another property. I only sold because it was leasehold and the FHolder was extremely difficult. I have put this to my accountant who will look into this. I was hoping someone had a bit of experience in the same situation....
    15-01-2021, 19:20 PM
Working...
X