Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordinary power of attorney

Hi,
    How long does it take to set up an ordinary power of attorney.
    I know an enduring power attorney takes 12 months in my experience.
    The purpose is just for me to take care & be responsible for one piece of my mothers business.

Last time I was involved in a financial power of attorney it took about 3 weeks.
    Most of the elapsed time was getting the right people together to sign things, mostly the solicitor.

If everyone is local, it could be done in a shorter period of time,
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Okay
      Can I create a Deed of trust to prevent a particular individual occupy my Mothers commercial property & that i her son would be notified.
      I don't have a legal interest in this property.
      Long story My parents lost out to a piece of property already with a man & my father has died from a serious case of dementia since.
      Does the landlord need to be the owner?
      Could it be possible to be given the power to act in this particular instance,
      Previously I had a complete Power of attorney of my late father
      However that was almost 2 years ago

Comment

everyone is local

Comment

Mr A S,

Who owns the property?
          Why would anyone be able to "occupy" it without permission?
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

My mother owns the property but subject to a life interest in favor of my late fathers business P and she owns a 50% shareholding in a company with my late fathers business partner also. That company still is operational in the building, but the lease has expired.
            My parents have already lost out on a piece of property to this man & my mother is vulnerable
            We have a mechanism that could solve the company & the life interest the problem is he wants a lease and he wants to negotiate a lease while the life interest is in the building
            but we would just want to solve the current situation and put our own business into the building he is not as interested in prolonging the situation if he is not dealing with our mother
            So maybe an ordinary power of attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr A S View Post
              How long does it take to set up an ordinary power of attorney..
              No more that five minutes. A general power of attorney form is very short. You can find it here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/27/schedule/1 It needs to be executed as a deed

Originally posted by Mr A S View Post
              The purpose is just for me to take care & be responsible for one piece of my mothers business.
              If you want the power to be expressed to be for one purpose only (as opposed to using a general power for one purpose only) you probably need to get it professionally drawn up to make sure it covers everything.

Whether the power is general or specific it takes effect as soon as executed. Registration is not required.

Comment

Thank you for the quick uptake & your insight
                Yes I fully intend to have a professional draw up the document

Comment

Is your mother fully of sound mind and mentally healthy now? If not, the time scale is infinite and it is too late (you will need to get courts involved).

Comment

An ordinary power of attorney, whether general or specific, is really no more than an authority to sign documents on behalf of the donor of the power. As between donor and attorney the attorney is only authorised to do what the donor tells him he can do. Someone dealing with an attorney is however not put on enquiry as to what the attorney is authorised to do except to the extent of reading the power of attorney.

A lasting power of attorney gives the attorney power to make decisions for the donor.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent aroom property relief.
                      by calista
                      Hi Qick Q i cant find the answer online..

Can i claim rent a room relief on a rent of 300pounds a month at my first property where I live. 3600 a year.

I rent a second property 1200 pcm, where I do not live and would not claim the rent a room relief- or rather i pay tax normally...
                      31-03-2020, 12:10 PM
                    • Reply to Rent aroom property relief.
                      by calista
                      Thanks for your reply, this is what i thought, but couldn't find anything on the government page to back it up.
                      01-04-2020, 21:13 PM
                    • Reply to S24 deduction of interest payment / Covid-19 Virus
                      by jpkeates
                      I don't think that many landlords will pay any more tax, it'll catch some, but I'd have thought for the majority of landlords it's tax neutral.
                      A small number of landlords will pay slightly more tax isn't much of a headline, though.

At the time as s24 has been introduced, the personal...
                      01-04-2020, 13:13 PM
                    • S24 deduction of interest payment / Covid-19 Virus
                      by Flashback1966
                      I am wondering if S24 tax changes are going to come and haunt landlords.

Under the tax changes landlords can't deduct interest payments in full. Individual Landlords have been paying more tax, then is fair.

You could end up with a situation where the tenant wont or can't...
                      01-04-2020, 08:06 AM
                    • Reply to Selling part share
                      by Bill31
                      Im sure the reservation relies on the person who made the gift.
                      If we was to sell the property and take our 50/50 share of the sale price would that release the gift with reservation if we then went on to buy our own property
                      01-04-2020, 12:27 PM
                    • Selling part share
                      by Bill31
                      5 years ago i gifted part of my property to my son as joint tenants. We lived in the property together. So its possibly a grob.

Now we want to go our separate ways. Could he buy my share out so he owns the whole house. And i use the money to buy elsewhere. Could this introduce a IHT or...
                      31-03-2020, 13:41 PM
                      by jpkeates
                      The reservation will depend (as far as I can see) on who pays the running costs of the property.
                      If the running costs are split in line with the ownership, it's one thing, if the property is run as though it was the mother's house with her continuing to pay all the bills is another.
                      01-04-2020, 09:58 AM
                      by AndrewDod
                      Well if CGT was not payable on the first slice it won't be on the second.

I don't see that you retained a benefit, but I can't find any case law to that effect. But if rent was payable it would have gone in both directions (you would have paid your son half the rent and he would have paid...
                      31-03-2020, 18:19 PM
                      by Bill31
                      Interesting that it may not be a grob as we own it all together. But surely hmrc will view it as i retained a benefit.

Its our only main property i dnt think any cgt will be due. I was asking will cgt be due if i make another gift or sell my share to get my name of deeds?
                      I ask because...
                      31-03-2020, 17:35 PM
                      by AndrewDod
                      Although they were BOTH living there and both owned it -- so the share gifted is probably not a GROB. It would be if only the OP was living there (owning only a portion) and not paying rent.

It depends on the proportion - if the OP owned 1% and paid no rent - I think it would be in GROB...
                      31-03-2020, 17:09 PM
                    Working...
                    X