Can someone tell me how much capital gains i will have to pay

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can someone tell me how much capital gains i will have to pay

    Hi all,
    I own 2 properties, one is my main residence and the other is a rental property which ive let out since ive owned it from 1996.
    I am mortgage free.
    I paid £43,000 for the rental property and its now worth around £500,000
    Does anyone know what the CGT would be if i were to sell it now?
    Other than that if i were to gift it to my daughter and she would live there, would i still have to pay CGT and if so, how much?

    A tax bill of £120,000.00 about...

    Gifting to daughter won't help unless you do it in tiny chunks (at this kind of value you could gift about 2% of the property each year for the next 50 years to avoid tax if the tax rules remain unchanged)

    Lets say capital costs (some legal costs, extensions to the property etc) are £43K+another 7K -- you raw gain is around £450,000


      Also worth reading up on inheritance tax. Here's a good start point;

      Might be worth considering mortgaging down to the thresholds.


        Given the value, I would talk to a family solicitor.

        There should be a mechanism where the property can be transferred into a trust in favour of your daughter without reservation, which should allow the CGT to be deferred.
        But it's a really complex area of tax and you really need a grown up for that kind of advice.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


          inheritance tax is a disgrace


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Rent aroom property relief.
            by calista
            Thanks for your reply, this is what i thought, but couldn't find anything on the government page to back it up.
            01-04-2020, 21:13 PM
          • Rent aroom property relief.
            by calista
            Hi Qick Q i cant find the answer online..

            Can i claim rent a room relief on a rent of 300pounds a month at my first property where I live. 3600 a year.

            I rent a second property 1200 pcm, where I do not live and would not claim the rent a room relief- or rather i pay tax normally...
            31-03-2020, 12:10 PM
          • S24 deduction of interest payment / Covid-19 Virus
            by Flashback1966
            I am wondering if S24 tax changes are going to come and haunt landlords.

            Under the tax changes landlords can't deduct interest payments in full. Individual Landlords have been paying more tax, then is fair.

            You could end up with a situation where the tenant wont or can't...
            01-04-2020, 08:06 AM
          • Reply to S24 deduction of interest payment / Covid-19 Virus
            by jpkeates
            I don't think that many landlords will pay any more tax, it'll catch some, but I'd have thought for the majority of landlords it's tax neutral.
            A small number of landlords will pay slightly more tax isn't much of a headline, though.

            At the time as s24 has been introduced, the personal...
            01-04-2020, 13:13 PM
          • Selling part share
            by Bill31
            5 years ago i gifted part of my property to my son as joint tenants. We lived in the property together. So its possibly a grob.

            Now we want to go our separate ways. Could he buy my share out so he owns the whole house. And i use the money to buy elsewhere. Could this introduce a IHT or...
            31-03-2020, 13:41 PM
          • Reply to Selling part share
            by Bill31
            Im sure the reservation relies on the person who made the gift.
            If we was to sell the property and take our 50/50 share of the sale price would that release the gift with reservation if we then went on to buy our own property
            01-04-2020, 12:27 PM
          • Reply to Selling part share
            by jpkeates
            The reservation will depend (as far as I can see) on who pays the running costs of the property.
            If the running costs are split in line with the ownership, it's one thing, if the property is run as though it was the mother's house with her continuing to pay all the bills is another.
            01-04-2020, 09:58 AM
          • Reply to Selling part share
            by AndrewDod
            Well if CGT was not payable on the first slice it won't be on the second.

            I don't see that you retained a benefit, but I can't find any case law to that effect. But if rent was payable it would have gone in both directions (you would have paid your son half the rent and he would have paid...
            31-03-2020, 18:19 PM
          • Reply to Selling part share
            by Bill31
            Interesting that it may not be a grob as we own it all together. But surely hmrc will view it as i retained a benefit.

            Its our only main property i dnt think any cgt will be due. I was asking will cgt be due if i make another gift or sell my share to get my name of deeds?
            I ask because...
            31-03-2020, 17:35 PM
          • Reply to Selling part share
            by AndrewDod
            Although they were BOTH living there and both owned it -- so the share gifted is probably not a GROB. It would be if only the OP was living there (owning only a portion) and not paying rent.

            It depends on the proportion - if the OP owned 1% and paid no rent - I think it would be in GROB...
            31-03-2020, 17:09 PM