Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• max_co71
    replied
    Thanks for your response. I really appreciate!

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    1 - It's because HMRC can now predict how much they expect each year. In previous year's they couldn't.

You won't end up paying any more tax, you just pay it months in advance.

Typically you'll get an adjusted figure when you submit your tax return, so it's sensible to do that before the October deadline (and not wait until the January deadline) as that might adjust the January payment downwards if they've overcalculated.

2 - Yes. There are penalties for late or non-payment.

Leave a comment:

• max_co71
    started a topic Self Assessment: 1st payment on account

Self Assessment: 1st payment on account

Hi All,

This is the third time I have been filing the Tax Return by Self Assessment. I have two questions here. I would appreciate any help to clarify the following:

Last year, I have the summary out of the calculation from HMRC as follow:
    2nd payment of £0.00 due 31 July 2019
    This amount does not take into account any 2018-19 payments on account you may have already made

2017-18 balancing payment £2,500.00
    1st payment on account for 2018-19 due 31 January 2020 £0.00
    Total due by 31 January 2019 £2,500.00

However, this year:
    2nd payment of £2,500.00 due 31 July 2020
    This amount does not take into account any 2018-19 payments on account you may have already made

2018-19 balancing payment £5,000.00
    1st payment on account for 2019-20 due 31 January 2020 £2,500.00
    Total due by 31 January 2020 £7,500.00

Q1) Why am I getting £0.00 for 1st and 2nd payment on account the previous year but am getting £2,500.00 for both 'payment on account'?
    Q2) What are the 1st and 2nd payment on account about? Do I have to pay them?

Regards

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Is changing carpets to laminate flooring tax deductible?
    by anqi_z
    Hello,

Carpets in a let property has worn out and I am considering to replace it with laminate flooring.
    Could anyone advise if this will be tax deductible (assume this won't be considered as improvement)?

Thank you....
    25-05-2020, 19:16 PM
  • Reply to Is changing carpets to laminate flooring tax deductible?
    by Freeholder is king
    If your lease says that the floors need to be carpeted then you got no choice. If it does not then you can and the noise problem is not your issue it depends on what is in your lease. Yes
    31-05-2020, 11:23 AM
    by Gordon999
    Carpets are better for sound insulation between ground floor flat and first floor flat in old house conversions.
    31-05-2020, 08:51 AM
    by jpkeates
    I find that using expensive and long lasting underlay under cheaper carpet works best.
    It feels nice and luxurious and insulates well, and replacing the carpet is less traumatic on the bank balance.
    30-05-2020, 12:25 PM
  • Flipping a property
    by Gray
    My son and I are thinking of buying a property together and renovating it. We were intending to rent it out but now are thinking about just selling it again once work is finished. If we purchase property in three names (our’s and his partner’s), we would get three capital gains allowances is that...
    18-05-2020, 17:53 PM
  • Reply to Flipping a property
    by Jerome2020
    It's not strictly true that a company must be used where there are more than four owners. Where there are more than four parties with an interest in a property, the first named four are treated as holding the land on Trust for the remaining beneficial owners; good documentation is essential to avoid...
    30-05-2020, 11:56 AM
    by blinko
    Yeah I prefer carpet too, but the rate at which tenants seem to be able to destroy carpet compared to laminate.....
    30-05-2020, 11:50 AM
    by Lawcruncher
    Funny how fashions change. Fifty years ago having fitted carpet had a social cachet, now everyone wants laminate flooring. I know it looks nice, but so do carperts. It is fine in a conservatory with cane furniture, but it makes a lounge look clinical. It also increases your central heating costs.
    30-05-2020, 07:51 AM
    by Gordon999
    Land Registry only allows 4 names maximum on the property title.

If more than 4 names , you would need to register under company name and the members in the group become shareholders.

The members can be shareholders with one £1 share each and the company borrows the funds...
    30-05-2020, 05:59 AM
    by jpkeates
    If the property title was a joint tenancy, anyone not contributing to the purchase would have received the ownership as a gift and would be an owner as a matter of fact.
    29-05-2020, 16:26 PM
Working...
X