I do not like the invoice I received from the letting agency

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I do not like the invoice I received from the letting agency

    I decided to let my BTL flat through letting agency. In the first year of rent 25 year old boiler broke down. Letting agency said they would sort this out. I paid them £1950 (not £1850) through the phone by credit card. Never received an invoice or any details about the boiler. When asked for the copy of an invoice they sent me an email with these details :

    "The boiler was installed on 26/07/2018 (Building Regulations attached) it is an Ideal Logic+Combi C24 this comes with a 7 year warranty, to maintain the warranty the boiler needs to be serviced each year. This service is in addition to the Gas Safety Check which has to be carried out annually.The CP12 gas safety check costs £60 and the service costs a further £60. Thats it no invoice nothing else.

    However now when I am about to prepare my tax return I asked for the copy of an invoice again as I do not have any proof to support my claim (revenue expenditure).

    Eventually got one but not sure if I like it

    My question is if this kind of an invoice is acceptable by hmrc? There is no company address also no proper date of when the boiler was installed... just showing a day and a month when payment received but not a year.

    I would be grateful for any suggestions. I do not want to get into trouble.

    You need to be able to show proof you paid for something associated with your lettings business. Your bank records and what you received from them is enough.

    But write (yes WRITE keep copy) a letter to them requiring a copy of the invoice agency received from the installer. Suspect something odd will appear. When you get it, contact installer and request copy of their invoice to agent. Might be different!

    I almost never get invoices from one agent I use, just summary account per month. I'm okay with that, they're honest & I take them out for lunch once a year. A wise expenditure for a good relationship
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      That's fine for tax purposes.

      I would ask the agent for the £100 back.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Thank you so much!
        Glad I can get answers without paying a fee


        Latest Activity