Property income allowance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property income allowance

I have two properties, one rented to a private tenant and another industrial property I rent to a company I own.

I note in:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free...trading-income

It says:
    You cannot use the allowances in a tax year, if you have any trade or property income from:
    • a company you or someone connected to you owns or controls
    It feels a little unfortunate!

Is this a blanket rule that scuppers this allowance?

Are you getting annual income of less than £1000 from each of your properties ?

Comment

I get more than £1,000 from each property.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikexx View Post
        I get more than £1,000 from each property.
        So these allowances are not available to you anyway.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reversing gift
          by vik2001
          Is there a way of reversing a gift of a property given as joint tenants. I want to remove my name on a house that i share with my mother. Its our only main resendential property. I also want to avoid being caught by GROB...
          24-02-2020, 20:22 PM
        • Reply to Reversing gift
          by vik2001
          Ahh yeah got it. As the earlier gift fails does another 7 year PET start again if she buys the share back as cash....
          25-02-2020, 18:12 PM
          by jpkeates
          Joint tenants don't own anything 50:50, they both own the entire property.
          So I don't think that the gift is part of the property.

Tenants in common would be different.

But this isn't something I am particularly confident about.
          25-02-2020, 18:03 PM
          by AndrewDod
          The earlier gift from your Mom to you fails (as a PET from her) because you are giving it back .........
          25-02-2020, 17:53 PM
          by vik2001
          Hi jp
          Why does the gift fail? As we have it as joint tenants 50/50. We wasnt trying to remove it from her whole estate.
          Hmrc site says if you gift part of property and all owners live together and share bills expenses then a market rent rate isnt required. So the gift hopefully should be...
          25-02-2020, 17:25 PM
          by jpkeates
          The gift from your mother to you fails as a gift for tax purposes.
          The property hasn't left your mother's estate as far as I can tell.

If you were to die, it would be a slight complication, but your executor should be able to sort it out (you might want to leave a note somewhere explaining...
          25-02-2020, 16:51 PM
          by vik2001
          The property is worth 410k. It has been our only main resendential property. There is no mortgage.

Was the transfer of the gift genuine. Because i read under s102b it needs to be a undivided share for my mother to live there else its a grob. Or being joint tenants it doesnt matter? Point...
          25-02-2020, 15:36 PM
          by AndrewDod
          Well in that case

a) CGT will not be payable on the reverse transfer providing the house has so far been your only home in the time you had a half

b) SDLT will not be payable on the reverse transfer provided it is i) a gift transfer and no money changes hands AND ii) there...
          25-02-2020, 14:49 PM
          by jpkeates
          How much is the property worth?...
          25-02-2020, 13:39 PM
          by vik2001
          Not worried about sdlt. I just dont wish to have 2 properties. I also want to protect my mum if i was to pass away first....
          25-02-2020, 12:55 PM
        Working...
        X