Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer beneficial interest

I own a property in my sole name.

I want to transfer 50% of the beneficial interest to my wife. Property has £100k mortgage. Not looking to make any changes to title deeds.

Is my understanding correct as below:

- I sign a declaration of trust giving her 50% beneficial interest.
    - no need to inform mortgage lender since deeds not changed
    -no need to inform HMRC except when I do tax return next year.
    - annual income from property will be split 50:50
    -CGT upon sale will be 50:50?
    - no stamp duty will be payable due to mortgage size

Is this correct?

I believe if wife is not named on the mortgage loan , she cannot include mortgage interest in her 50% share of the maintenance expenses

Comment

You may need your mortgage lender's permission and should check that before you do anything.
      The trust will reduce the value of the security of the lender's loan by 50% and they might have an issue with that.

The lender's charge on the property may need to be varied.

Your wife will need to advise HMRC of her new source of income and agree how it will be reported to them (usually by self assessment).

CGT when sold will be based on 50% of the gain from the date of the trust, you can't backdate it.

And I share Gordon999's view of the interest allowance.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• CGT under the threshold once split with husband?
        by stuco
        Hi hoping someone can clarify...

I'm busy doing 2019-20 return. We sold a BTL during that year for £79500. As it was jointly owned between me and husband do I treat it as selling for £39750 for my part (and his) and therefore below the £48000 amount that you have to report on SA for...
        08-04-2020, 10:29 AM
      • Reply to CGT under the threshold once split with husband?
        by AndrewDod
        Why exactly don't you want to declare it? If you are submitting a return anyway....
        09-04-2020, 00:06 AM
        by stuco
        The £48000 figure is mentioned within the SA form. There is the option to submit a CGT form if you've disposed of a chargeable asset and it says something along the lines of if the value is more than £48000 (I'm assuming it equates to 4 x this years allowance) and you've made a gain over the allowance....
        08-04-2020, 20:15 PM
      • Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
        by Gordon999
        To answer your question - Capital gains tax is exempt on capital gains from disposal of main residence.

So gifting 50% of your current home ( main residence ) to your son will be free of sdlt and cgt. You can continue to stay in the property without paying rent because you still own...
        08-04-2020, 16:11 PM
      • Implications of Gifting a % of Property
        by Claymore
        Hi

My main residence is unencumbered. I am thinking ahead (with the thought of the 7 year rule on inheritance tax).

If I gift my son 50% of my property now - would I still be OK to live in the house?

Would there be any immediate tax consequences of gifting him...
        18-03-2020, 15:29 PM
        by Gordon999
        The capital gains after sale of BTL property is calculated from "sale proceeds" minus "acquisition cost" including costs charged by estate agent and conveyancing solicitor costs.

For example : If the sale proceeds after deducting selling costs , was £78,000 and original...
        08-04-2020, 15:53 PM
      • Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
        by Lawcruncher
        Things to consider:

Think carefully before giving assets away as you do not know what the future holds.

If you put an asset into trust or give it away as part of a tax planning exercise you are going to lose control over it.

If you have fears about what may happen...
        07-04-2020, 15:54 PM
      • SA105 Property Expenses
        by Pejayef
        Our tenants reported a leaking roof back in January which didn't actually recur again after the initial report, they moved out in February and while we were freshening up the house for the new tenants we had the roof inspected, and decided that rather than pay out for a patch job that we would replace...
        07-04-2020, 10:47 AM
      • Reply to SA105 Property Expenses
        by jpkeates
        It's still an operating cost and still allowable.
        A very cautious person might allocate some of the cost as a capital item, but I wouldn't.

Allowable costs are any costs incurred solely and exclusively for the business.
        Then you allocate them as either operational (allowed against...
        07-04-2020, 11:24 AM
      • Reply to SA105 Property Expenses
        by Pejayef
        Hi jpkeates, I understood that a repair could be counted, but we chose to replace the whole roof, rather than go for just a repair...
        07-04-2020, 11:15 AM
      Working...
      X